GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best horsepower gain for the buck ???

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/10, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug is a good guy! He's my tuner and I've had no problems with him bought a street fighter 3000 from him at a killer price a month ago! Ofcourse i did'nt have to deal with any tunes recently cause i haven't installed all my new after market parts so i guess i am lucky!
Old 1/5/10, 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best gain for the buck has to be the nitrous... not my thing but if we are talking HP per dollar that is it.
Old 1/5/10, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fordcrazy
In all your experianced opinions , what would the best bang for the buck horsepower wise be ?? A bigger throttle body or short tube headers , I do one big mod a year and this year it will be one of these . Just throwing this out there to get a feeling for what others have done or are doing . The only engine Mod done to the car is a WMS intake system with air tray , and a functioning ram air hood . (this mod can be seen in a previous thread of mine ) . Or instead of either the headers or throttle body , would a tune be better ?

Karl
We can tune for that setup and the results will make you wonder why you did not do it sooner. Instant throttle response, more low and torque and top end power, increased drivability, and equal if not better MPG under light throttle. You are only getting 20% of the power gain availabe by running just an intake, the tune is where 80% of the power comes from. Our tuning turn around time is 5-7 business days. If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me or give one of our sales reps a call.

Old 1/5/10, 01:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 AU2BOT
Cold Air Intake and a performance tune from Brenspeed or Tillmans or BamaChips is the best bang for your buck you will have around 25-30 extra hp its well worth it.

Old 1/5/10, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAI and Tune... specifically JLT w/SCT-BamaChips for my GT (BTW, Doug is back, no worries AND he is a good guy. I went with the same set-up with my GT500; except with Evo tune. I heard good things about Tilman and Brenspeed as well...
Old 1/5/10, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
CAI and Tune... specifically JLT w/SCT-BamaChips for my GT (BTW, Doug is back, no worries AND he is a good guy. I went with the same set-up with my GT500; except with Evo tune. I heard good things about Tilman and Brenspeed as well...
I'm still seeing threads as of recently with people having problems so I don't know about him being back and running like he used to be ..
Old 1/9/10, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will agree with everyone else, a CAI with tune is a must for these engines. Also agree that the throttle body is not a good mod unless you are FI with 12+ pounds of boost or some other significant mod that requires increase airflow. The stock TB flows fine for simple bolt ons. I have heard that shorty headers have good mid-RPM torque, cannot speak from experience.
Old 1/9/10, 11:02 PM

If I had to do over I wouldn't waste one penny on any bs bolt ons. Save your money and go FI. My n2o was ok to play with but as far as just all out power any time with no bs Roots Twin Screwed. F the rest My 2 cents.
Old 1/9/10, 11:04 PM

Oh yeah and thanks to Brenspeed for my Stage 2 E-Force Kit...
Old 1/10/10, 07:59 AM
Cobra R Member

I want to chime in again, First off Doug has been there for me everytime. I am sure others may also offer this, but every mod I made since getting my CAI and Tune through him, he has modded my tunes to accept the changes. I am now planning on NSR cams, and the reason for going to him is the free mod tunes.

A tune also gets rid of that millisecond delay in throttle response and just taps more HP. You can get various tunes depending on your driving and get a hi octane and a low octane tune. Gas prices has jumped up recently and it is nice to have that flexibility.

For me, I divided the hp gain for the cost of the upgrade. So the tune wins out. I never had 4 - 5 K for a SC right out of the box. That also cut me out of a lot of other mods. So far my performance mods are: JLTCAI, Bama 93 Torque, Steeda UDP, SLP LT Headers w/cats and FRPP 4.10 my RWHP is 308. Each car varies on base RWHP ( I have heard around 265+/- 10) so your mpg will vary Lol. I pass OBD2 with 25mpg at 60mph. I am planning on the NSR which will set me back after install right at 1K. They promise Ave 25 rwhp gain, more if you tweek the tune, I am hoping for 30. That will put me really close to 340 RWHP. That averages 40 bucks per HP. There is a few more, less HP mods left: the C & L intake for 800.00 (that adds 10+ hp for around 80 per) and the Delete plates for another 10 more ( the C & L includes that). The rest is either P & P the heads or for the labor cost ( I ain't tackling that one alone) just get a set of race heads, put my cams in it and get a real jump. My plan is to do the intake and the heads all in one jump.

That was my game plan, oh and for the wife, I put my tune to the 87 octane and I noticed a loss of brute *** on hard accel. I mentioned to the wife, who drives mine occasionally, and she noticed the same. So wives love HP.

Sorry for such a long post.
Old 1/29/10, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Good info , I have decided to get the tune , but still cant decide bewteen Brenspeed or Tillman . It is a virtual toss up