GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Latest on Cam replacements and HP

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/09, 12:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Latest on Cam replacements and HP

I have not dug into this in a while, so what are the Cam offerings out there. What are the gains, do they require a tune, which need new valve springs, etc.

I am considering a bump in my HP with the new 302 coming out.
Old 12/30/09, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jdl4...eature=related

Seems like by the time you get 350 RWHP you got $4500 into the combo. Staying NA and getting that type of power will probably be easier with a motor swap.
Old 12/30/09, 01:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I am kind of commited at this point, or I feel that way. I have invested in a tuner, LT headers, pulleys and now have 310 at RWHP. I reallly never liked the SC bit, just my opinion and most good ones will run you (roots style) close to 4K.

I would like to add a cam and maybe a head swap (CNC) FRPP has a set that will add 30 hp on stock heads and 50hp on CNC. I had priced about 2 years ago a cam swap and tuning would run me close to 2K. That would bump me to close to 400 hp and probably 340 or so at the wheels.

Or Bama chips has a cam set that is basically a drop in from Comp Cams. The bonus is that he can hopefully have the tune I need for my car without the major expense of having it tuned. They say it adds around 25 at the wheels.

I do like the FRPP new race cams.

Suggestions or comments

Last edited by traffic142; 12/30/09 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12/30/09, 04:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Well I am kind of commited at this point, or I feel that way. I have invested in a tuner, LT headers, pulleys and now have 310 at RWHP. I reallly never liked the SC bit, just my opinion and most good ones will run you (roots style) close to 4K.

I would like to add a cam and maybe a head swap (CNC) FRPP has a set that will add 30 hp on stock heads and 50hp on CNC. I had priced about 2 years ago a cam swap and tuning would run me close to 2K. That would bump me to close to 400 hp and probably 340 or so at the wheels.

Or Bama chips has a cam set that is basically a drop in from Comp Cams. The bonus is that he can hopefully have the tune I need for my car without the major expense of having it tuned. They say it adds around 25 at the wheels.

Suggestions or comments
We are on the same page. I'm not much into forced induction myself. I guess I'm just old school!

Bob
Old 12/30/09, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I am kind of commited at this point, or I feel that way.
Approximately 50 hp gain with the stock intake manifold and M-6049-463P / M-6050-463P CNC heads at 6500 rpm. Approximately 30 hp gain with stock heads. (with long tube headers and M-9603-M463 cold air kit)

There is only ONE thing that scares me on this. They say at 50 hp gain at 6500 rpm, but the stock car drops hp at 6000 rpm. So does that mean the cams give you 50 more horsepower at 6500 rpm than the stock cams or 50 more hp at peak?

That is the real question that will help you decide. I saw the Sutton HP dyno graph that shows 50 RWHP. I would want some dyno sheets before I tore into the motor.
Old 12/30/09, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

There is so much information out there. No valve spring replacement and get modest gains or go with a stiffer cam, with an expense of tuning and springs or ....

I am waiting to hear back from Doug at Bama on the the comp cam he sells. I will also check with my ford dealer who is an SVT dealer and see what they offer on the price of a FRPP cam install. But that still means looking for a tune, unless doug offers those also?

Does anyone offer a ready main std tune for those FRPP?

I also found out Brenspeed has a set also of stage 2 NSR. It did not say if they need or suggest a tune mod or not.

Last edited by traffic142; 12/30/09 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12/30/09, 09:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is so much information out there. No valve spring replacement and get modest gains or go with a stiffer cam, with an expense of tuning and springs or ....

I am waiting to hear back from Doug at Bama on the the comp cam he sells. I will also check with my ford dealer who is an SVT dealer and see what they offer on the price of a FRPP cam install. But that still means looking for a tune, unless doug offers those also?

Does anyone offer a ready main std tune for those FRPP?

I also found out Brenspeed has a set also of stage 2 NSR. It did not say if they need or suggest a tune mod or not.
Seems like there was a recent thread about Comp cams... and there were problems with the cams and somehow Bama was in between??
Old 12/31/09, 07:43 AM
Cobra R Member

I have done some searching and we are all over the map. In searching, I found the ****** thumpr stage 2 cams. I love the sound but worry about potential damage to the car? I see a few have done the install themselves, but I was wondering if the Ford dealer would do it?

I emailed Doug and will get something back from him by the new year.
Old 12/31/09, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

XFI NSR COMP CAMS STAGE 2 CAM SET MUSTANG (05-10)

Can you guys help with me with my doubts?
Are those cams - XFI NSR COMP CAMS STAGE 2 CAM SET MUSTANG (05-10) – fully safe for stock engine with only bolt on mods so far.
I was sure to install it but last day my friend with 2008 stock Bullitt after 30K miles had problem with one Timing chain which expand about one chain cell making engine failure and he had to replace full timing assembly which cost him with labor about 1400$.
So if such problem appear on stock engine means for me it is more possible on stocked modified specially with after market cams which will definitely put more stress on timing chains.

Additional my engine have got a problem described on one of FORD TSB as ‘normal engine noise which have no influence on engine performance’ – it is a VCT ticking noise on low RPM when engine is hot – Maybe that will go worse or will cause some damage after cams installing?

Any ideas, advise?

Last edited by seabiscuit; 12/31/09 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12/31/09, 01:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sent you a PM. The Comp NSR cams are perfectly safe and make very good power for the $$$ I easily made the 25 rwhp peak to peak that is advertised. I have been running them for almost 2 years with great success.
Old 1/1/10, 04:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Sent you a PM. The Comp NSR cams are perfectly safe and make very good power for the $$$ I easily made the 25 rwhp peak to peak that is advertised. I have been running them for almost 2 years with great success.
Thanks for your opinion, so its +1 for Comp Cams NSR.
P.s I did not get any PM from you by the way

Any other NSR users opinions?
Old 1/1/10, 05:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by seabiscuit

My bad Seabiscuit. I should have said I sent OP (Traffic142) the PM.
Old 1/1/10, 12:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the PM's. I heard on You Tube a LT header car with the thumpr cams and it sucked bad. Not sure why, but it did. I wonder if the sound changes with the x pipe over the H pipe?

Last edited by traffic142; 1/1/10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 1/1/10, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

"...stage 3 cams, pnp heads and forged internals, I gained 61 rwhp."

I found this on another site. I'm going to see if I can find a vid of what this sounds like. He said it makes power to 6750 rpm. I would think to use a cam, which starts making power at 4K rpm you would want to widen the rpm range to above stock levels, thus his investment in forged internals.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...GTCompCams.flv

Last edited by shaun_beauchamp; 1/1/10 at 06:10 PM. Reason: found video
Old 1/1/10, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/gjneff#p/a/u/1/0TcHuoEFhKw

This is different. Seems like some basic stuff and Comp Stage 2 Thumprs.
Old 1/1/10, 10:09 PM

If you're considering Head/Cam Swaps, take a look at Livernois Motorsports' offerings.
Old 1/2/10, 06:45 AM
Cobra R Member

I am not quite ready to crack the internal integrity as of yet.....maybe in a year or so Lol
Old 1/2/10, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggestions or comments
Originally Posted by 1fastbob
We are on the same page. I'm not much into forced induction myself. I guess I'm just old school!

Bob
Hey guys, your not the only ones who are old school!! I'm not into forced induction either, and I would much rather build the motor up with a stroker kit and make it stronger. Your plans look like my plans for my car. Just won't be for a while yet!!!
Old 1/3/10, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by seabiscuit

I'm running the NSR stage 2's from Brenspeed as well and am very pleased.
Old 1/4/10, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went with BBR Stage II cams and their CNC heads. Matched up with American Racing Long tubes and off-road X pipe and ended up at approx 380 HP after the custom tune.

Quick Reply: Latest on Cam replacements and HP