1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Trying to restore a 65 Coupe...

Old 9/15/09, 05:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to restore a 65 Coupe...

I will try & type what I had. It was driven by a good friend in HS. I always liked her, even more when I saw what she drove! I lost all contact with her since I thought '93. She found me on Facebook & tells me I talked to her in '99, don't remember that! I got to the topic of what happened to that car she drove? She then tells me her dad bought it new! She drove it a little during college. They parked it in '96 in their garage. Hasn't move since! I did not like hearing this @ all. I think a car like that should be shown, not parked! I let it sink in for like 2 days. I then asked her to ask her dad if I could restore it? He said I could. I'll then use it as my daily driver. I'll liker run my in town errands in it, take my 95 out of town. Right when I did this, I wanted to pay for all of it. It took about a week for me to come to the realization of how kinda broke I am. Lisa has agreed to help me out. If it wasn't for me, this car would have stayed parked for who knows how long!! The dad, Louie, says it's Lisa's car. She is OK with me driving it for as long as I want to! I can & do trust her.

Here were my 1st pics:

As you can see, been neglected for a long time! 99% of the stuff on it weighs not much. Not sure if a lot of that stuff means it's heavy? Lisa is coming up to help me get to it on 9/17. I hope I have more pics & stuff!

I will need all the help doing this! I have like 3 catalogs to buy out of. I got a Year One yest. That has like every thing. See ya!!
Old 9/15/09, 05:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Forgot I have this:
VIN (Warranty Number) Breakdown:
5 = 1965
F = Dearborn, MI
07 = Hardtop
C = 289-2v
692459 = Consecutive unit number #692459

My mechanic I use says if it drove good when it was parked, doesn't need major work to get it running again. I know that is a best case scenario. If it's not that, she told me she will help me pay to get it running again.

I'm hoping Thursday to get to that VIN tag on the driver's door. This is not it's original color. He said it was supposed to be for the owner's wife. Louie offered like $2800, so they took the $. It was a purple that was used as a accent color to like a '57 Crown Vic? I'm hoping we can go back to that!
Old 9/15/09, 06:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see that you started your thread again. I was wondering what's going on with your project?

The last time I drove mine was over to Arlington and back. A distance of 30 plus miles one way. It did pretty well. Got me there and back no problem.
Old 9/15/09, 07:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Vinyl tops are notorious for rusted roofs under them.
Old 9/15/09, 08:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I've just been over & talked to the buyer, her dad. I am patiently waiting for Lisa to come help to get to it. I still don't quite have the $ to get that carport built. It will stay there until that's done. Not much has really been going on. I hope I have you info & pics Thursday!! Thanks again!!
Old 9/19/09, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

On my 95 GT, I have 1" spacers on the rear wheels. I was wondering if that 65 will need them? Thanks again!!
Old 9/19/09, 08:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, not unless you want to raise the rear end up by an inch. I put new leaf spring in the back and it made it look like the rear end was raised. But, that went away after the springs got broken in and the rear settled in by itself.

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
On my 95 GT, I have 1" spacers on the rear wheels. I was wondering if that 65 will need them? Thanks again!!
Old 9/19/09, 08:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Spacers depend on the backspacing of the wheel you are going to use. On fronts backspacing of no more than 4.5" without spacers. Back is up to 6"(maybe more) of backspacing without spacers. Anything more than those you will need spacers.

Spacers don't raise the rear end, they allow you to fit a rim with more backspacing on your vehicle.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 9/19/09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 9/20/09, 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks! Just please know I may type like I know what I am doing. That's just because I have done a lot of work to my 95. I had a lot done, I guess is more like it! I am not that smart with much of anything now! There is a guy in my town with a 65 Coupe. I wanted to go over to it to just look @ it. He has it looking pretty sharp. I hope to go look @ it tom. I meant to today, kinda forgot. Sorry, I don't really know what that backspacing really is. I was just looking more for a yes or a no answer. Thanks so much, though.
Old 9/20/09, 08:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

No problem.
Old 9/20/09, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Something just hit me. It will have just lap seat belts? I mean that goes around your waist. Not sure about that. I am just used to it being on my shoulder. I sometimes even buckle it will I get in to put up my top @ night. Don't know that I can get used to just that.
Old 9/20/09, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes you can get used to just that...

Generations of drivers and passengers before you got used to lap belts only and even no seatbelts at all...

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
Something just hit me. It will have just lap seat belts? I mean that goes around your waist. Not sure about that. I am just used to it being on my shoulder. I sometimes even buckle it will I get in to put up my top @ night. Don't know that I can get used to just that.
Old 9/20/09, 11:38 PM
Cobra R Member

No, think I needed to say more. With my brain injury, that's why I am not sure. It takes me more effort to remember stuff now. I go through so much to remember crap, that's why it is so hard to not remember stuff. Thanks!!
Old 9/24/09, 10:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I still need 1 more month's $ to pay for that carport. I do have enough for that concrete slab, though. Weather permitting, may get started on it Monday. I'm trying to get a place to keep it.
Old 10/21/09, 09:31 PM
Cobra R Member

The tires that are on it are 185/70-14. I have bought BFG's for my last 4 rides, so I would like to stay with that maker. I found some Radial T/A's that are 205/75-14. That will work, right. Thanks!!
Old 11/12/09, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Lisa & I got to it today. I thought I would post some pics of it where you could see it. I'm still saving to build it's house.

I have no idea on when it will be before I get it out of there. See ya & thanks!!
Old 11/12/09, 08:28 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
How can they just leave a car to rot in their garage??
Old 11/12/09, 08:30 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont know how you are doing the restoration on thsi stang but here is a website that deals with nothing but Stangs form 64 1/2 to I cant remember what year. LOL But here it is........... http://www.themustangranch.com/
Old 11/12/09, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** and i thought my diecast mustangs were dirty and dusty...

jokes aside, good luck. what condition is the engine in?
Old 11/12/09, 10:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks! Has been parked there since like '96. I hope it will not need any major motor work. I think I said, but I'll say again. It has the C Code 289. I forgot to look @ that door VIN code today. I'm going over to take that pic tomorrow. It did not come from the factory this color. It was a good looking purple. There's a spot in the trunk with it still on there. I'm going to take one of that as well. I will need help finding the exact color that was!

Oh &, BoogieNights, thanks!!! Haven't been on this in a long time. Bookmarked it.

Last edited by eliyarbrough; 11/12/09 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Forgot!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to restore a 65 Coupe...