GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ram Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/08, 06:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ram Air Box

Remember the Ram Air setups on the old muscle cars? That is what I am trying to do now. I just got a new fiberglass hood and I want to take advantage of the functional ram air feature.

It looks cheesy, but I have a prototype fabricated in cardboard to this point. I still need to make the top with a foam seal to seal against the hood opening. After I get the prototype done, I will then make the box out of Lexan (polycarbonate).

I can use a factory style filter. What I need is another factory air box top so I can cut the mass air flow tube off and use it with the new box. I want to save my original air box. Anyone have a spare / donor box?
Attached Thumbnails Ram Air Box-dscf2613.jpg   Ram Air Box-dscf2612.jpg  

Last edited by red454; 6/18/08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 6/18/08, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the hood actually diverts the air to the stock air box assembly im sure the people that make the hood have a replacement box that uses that function.
Old 6/18/08, 12:33 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree and I have looked and found nothing. And my hood is one of two made. The guy who built is has no plans to make any more hoods, and no special air boxes...

And what I have observed from other functional hoods is that they all dump the air in about the same spot. But they are made to be used with the majority of CAI (cold air intake) systems out there. These systems section off the corner where the stock air box was and is then occupied by the new conical air filter. The 'cold' air is directed to the CAI, but it does not truly seal the area off. At least not from what I have seen.

What I am trying to do is replicate the old style sealed ram air, similar to what was used years ago. Outside air was taken in through the scoop(s), directed to the filter and into the engine. Under hood air (hot) was sealed out with the exception of the heat riser which was usually vacuum controlled and only operated during engine warm-up.

Now, the bulk of the CAI systems are proven to increase HP (with the appropriate tune of course). I doubt that I will be able to claim any real gains with what I fabricate, especially with a stock tune. But for someone who wants true ram air and does not want to spend 5 or 6 hundred dollars on a CAI & Tuner, it may be just fine.

Last edited by red454; 6/18/08 at 12:37 PM.
Old 6/18/08, 05:21 PM
GT Member

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Car-Tru...Q20BOXQQ_fxdZ1
Old 6/19/08, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I do know what you're gettin at about wanting true ram-air. Here's an in progress pic of what I did to mine. I finished it off with a piece of backing across the top of the MAF housing and then topped it all with weather stripping so it seals with the hood. I need to get a finished pic one of these days lol.

Old 6/19/08, 04:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Great idea - that looks good and functional. And it looks like the openings line up perfectly with the filter.

Last edited by red454; 6/19/08 at 04:02 AM.
Old 6/19/08, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

If you build your box that way I think the filter is too close to the outlet face. Most of that air coming off the back face of the filter of the will have to make a sharp 90 to get to the outlet (and then a 90 again). The filter needs to be further away or slanted about 45 degrees. Another thought is ditch the rectangular and get one of the many to choose from conical type which generally flow better due to having more surface area.
Just a thought.
Old 6/21/08, 07:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
If you build your box that way I think the filter is too close to the outlet face. Most of that air coming off the back face of the filter of the will have to make a sharp 90 to get to the outlet (and then a 90 again). The filter needs to be further away or slanted about 45 degrees. Another thought is ditch the rectangular and get one of the many to choose from conical type which generally flow better due to having more surface area.
Just a thought.
I guess I am not following you on all the turns. The air will drop out of the hood, and yes, will turn essentially 90 once to go though the filter. After passing through the filter, it should be a fairly straight shot past the MAF and into the stock rubber intake hose.

Now I thought about what you mentioned about how close the filter is to the outlet face. It is not shown in the pics (I have not fabricated that part yet) but it will actually be a smoother path than what is currently on the stock air box top. This may make more sense when I am finished and can post some more pics. Of course, I could go to all this trouble and it not work worth a squat. But I am going to give it a shot.

As for the conicals, I was under the impression that they improve the flow so much that a tune is necessary, which for the moment I am trying to stay away from. I could be wrong. However I am using (currently in the stock air box) a FRAM Air Hogs filter and so far it works well.
Old 6/27/08, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Though this isn't answering your questions...what about Cervini's 05-08 Concept Ram Air Kit, Part#8029
Old 6/27/08, 09:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Good point, but I have not seen one in person. From the looks of it on the Cervini's website, it appears to be ducting from the hood scoops over to the air box area. Something geared towards the CAI's and not a stock box...
Old 7/2/08, 09:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Got the air box in and it works well. A few cosmetic things (like a better foam seal) to clean up and it will be done...
Attached Thumbnails Ram Air Box-dscf2662.jpg   Ram Air Box-dscf2663.jpg   Ram Air Box-dscf2664.jpg  
Old 7/2/08, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
I do know what you're gettin at about wanting true ram-air. Here's an in progress pic of what I did to mine. I finished it off with a piece of backing across the top of the MAF housing and then topped it all with weather stripping so it seals with the hood. I need to get a finished pic one of these days lol.

That is a very nice setup. This is the most "true" ram air I have seen on these forums.

P.S. Clean that engine FFS!
Old 7/2/08, 02:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Chris,
That box looks very nice. I had a thought that I will share with you. I wondered if it would look cleaner if the foam seal was on the hood and not on the box itself. Just a thought. We have a waterjet at the shop that cuts foam very nice. If you needed some kind of contour cut I can help you out.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 7/2/08 at 02:24 PM.
Old 7/2/08, 03:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Good idea - I need to find an adhesive that won't harm the paint. Maybe some silicone. I will give it a try...

Also, a special thanks to AGBULLIT for donating the top of his air box so I could use the mount for the MAF sensor. I was dead in the water without that piece...

Last edited by red454; 7/3/08 at 11:47 AM.
Old 8/10/10, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Ram Air Box - a different direction.

(I think the comments by RadBOSS in post #7 ultimately proved to be true.)

Since I fabricated my ram air box, I have noticed that the car would seem to run a little strange from time to time. I always wondered if my air box was to blame. So I decided to try something different.

I took a factory air box, flipped it over and cut the bottom to allow air to enter. So it is now a down flow instead of an up flow. I was even able to use the original mounting bolt location.

I had to extend the MAF sensor wires by about 12 inches. I think this method cleaned up the path for air flow and it really runs well now. I think my old design really messed up the air flow past the MAF sensor.

Pics of the new box are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/redLS5454/RamAirBox#

Last edited by red454; 8/10/10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 8/10/10, 07:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry - forgot to make the album public. Now the pictures can be seen...

http://picasaweb.google.com/redLS5454/RamAirBox#

Here is one pic from the album...
Attached Thumbnails Ram Air Box-dscf6499.jpg  

Last edited by red454; 8/11/10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 8/11/10, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by red454
I agree and I have looked and found nothing. And my hood is one of two made. The guy who built is has no plans to make any more hoods, and no special air boxes...
What does the hood look like? Is it a “cold air inlet” hood or does it have true ram air? Got a pic?
Old 8/11/10, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kanchoo

Are you pulling air from the gap between the hood and the core support or through the holes in the hood?
Old 8/11/10, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Holes in the hood - they are ducted to a common dump which then goes into my air box, so it is now a true ram air. All the air used by the engine must come through the hood inlets.
Attached Thumbnails Ram Air Box-dscf4059.jpg  

Last edited by red454; 8/11/10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 8/11/10, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work Chris.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Box