05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

shelby conversions and the rice factor

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/07, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
As I said before, if Jack Roush and Carroll Shelby don't care why should we? Actually, they do care because they encourage this practice. I'm sure both of them love it when you put their names on your cars.
Um, because they get paid for you buying a Roush or Shelby emblem? Who was it who said a fool and his money are soon easily parted? I think some are missing the point. Putting a Shelby part on your car doesn't make it a Shelby, nor does it mean you are trying to deceive someone into believing you have a Shelby. I put a GT500 spoiler on my CS because it looks much better than the stock spoiler. Putting the Shelby, Roush, Saleen, etc. title on your car that isn't such is deceiving in my book. But, as stated, to each his own. If someone feels happy driving a V6 with a Shelby emblem, I suppose that is all that counts. The fact that a true Shelby owner might have an issue with it I guess is irrelevant. It's all about what makes only yourself happy right? This is why you can hit the flea market and by copies of just about anything expensive and popular. Why pay top dollar for the real thing? I guess this topic will always result in a draw.
Old 5/25/07, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think so, Rice is the late nineties chevrolet S-10 SS VTEC pickup I saw the other day. I must have missed that production run.
Old 5/25/07, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
If someone feels happy driving a V6 with a Shelby emblem, I suppose that is all that counts. The fact that a true Shelby owner might have an issue with it I guess is irrelevant.
I think that this is all that matters is what the person who owns the car. I guess only a guy who owns a shelby can say "I own a shelby." But don't try and stop anyone else from trying to have fun with their mustang and making clones. After all, only Mr. Shelby himself is the only person who I'd listen to if someone said, "Hey, you can't make a clone of that car." But that's me.
Old 5/25/07, 04:56 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
...Putting the Shelby, Roush, Saleen, etc. title on your car that isn't such is deceiving in my book...
42.71% of TMS members that took this poll kinda agree with you, but the poll question didn't characterize this as deceiving but rather was it appropriate.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58003
If you add the 7.29% that thought it wasn't ok to do any mods mentioned then you're at 50%.

My personal take is I won't put "GT 500" or Cobras on my GT but I won't criticize those that do.

You see it different, but I don't put the "Powered by Ford" emblem in the same category. Personally, I think any car that is powered by a Ford engine could put this emblem on and it wouldn't be deceiving. It would be true. "Powered by Ford" is more of a description than a name. There isn't a special edition mustang called the "Powered by Ford".
We can agree to disagree.
Old 5/25/07, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would agree on the powered by Ford emblem. If it is a Ford, then it is powered by Ford, even if they sub out the engine. It would be interesting to see take the poll respondents and compare the backgrounds on those who voted and how they voted. If I were a betting man, I'd say the younger mod prone crowd would lean towards throwing a Cobra emblem on a stock V6 and the older crowd would lean towards truth in advertising. Of course there are always exceptions, and I'm purely guessing, but it would be interesting. I'm a child of the 50's and I can remember modding the hell out of my 66 VW bug. I didn't have a pot to **** in back then and some of the mods included going to Orchard Supply and getting some flat metal stock, drilling holes in it, and extending out the rear engine deck lid to create a homegrown "ram air" system for the engine compartment. Then there was the time I added a second sway bar to the top tube on the front suspension to get better handling since I couldn't afford a better sway bar down below. I can understand doing cheap things to your car believe me. Now though, I lean towards giving credit where credit is due. I also lean towards a performance upgrade over an appearance upgrade any day. I think this is where the whole "ricer" tag came from. All show, and no go causes much disdain in some circles....
Old 5/28/07, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

Well, again just to play devil's advocate for a second, those "powered by ford" emblems are authorized Shelby emblems. Despite what it says on the emblem, just look at it like that. Just Shelby emblems.
Old 5/28/07, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, mine is no V6 shelby wanna be. I feel I can edge out the Shelby GT, GTH and the CS6 and give a good showing against the famed GT 500. So I may not be a real shelby, but I can out run one, well most anyway.