05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/06, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up

Howdy all, well I just finished my Shelby bumper install. It went MUCH easier than I thought it would. I had previously taken my bumper off twice to install and remove my Saleen HIDs so that experiance helped. I had to run to Home depot to get some bolts to hold the lower valance on and get a rivot gun, but if I had these items the install would have been much faster.

Generally speaking the main tool one will need for this install is a 10mm socket and drive. A rivot gun, phillips head screw driver and a 7/32 will helps as well.

Here are some finished pics tell me what you think. More detailed write up and pics with tips to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-how-you-like.jpg   Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-old-new.jpg   Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-finished.jpg   Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-begin.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jay.jay (9/18/19)
Old 8/6/06, 07:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

OK, as I said this install is fairly easy. I jacked the car up and removed the wheels in order to change out the spalsh guards. There are 3 simple phillips screws and 4-6 factory fasteners standing between the splash shields and freedom.

Once the shield is removed you will see 3 bolts where the fender and bumper join. remove the 2 OUTTER most bolts. If you remove the inner most then the bracket that supports the bumper will come off and this will screw you.

Now the air dam or whatever it is under the engine needs to be removed. As you will see in the picture there are 4 small screws, use a 7/32 socket to get those suckers out.

(all of the BOLTS ar 10mm)
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-pic-1.jpg   Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-pic-2.jpg   Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-air-dam.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

repeat the previous step twice, duuuh. Now all that is left is to remove the bolt that hold s the bumper on located just inside the headlights. Once this is done the bumper will pull off. Be careful as you need to pull the fender side down to clear the hardware on that side and slide the bumper by the headlights off of the bracket. It's much easier than it sounds.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-last-bolts.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Alright the old bumper is off and from here it is self-explanitory. remove foam core, add foam core, etc. What I will say is that there are 4 plastic factory screw hold on things on the GT core. If you place your hands close enough to them and tug you will remove these and be able to use them again. That's what I did.

To remove the headlights there are 3 10mm bolts that hold them on.

to remove the GT bumper brackets there are 2 10mm bolts that hold these on.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-bumper-bracket.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Install Pics and Notes ......

Greatly Appreciated ! Waiting for my commission check to come in to purchase the Shelby GT500 front fascia and do the install myself as well. Looks great !!
I wanted to see a close up picture with the Steeda hood (corrected)
Old 8/6/06, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

OK now to some specialty stuff. I noticed that OKLACOPs car had the radiator strut brace visible through his grill so I decided to paint mine black. I painted about 4" from center to each side when I did this to cover enough area.

Now the new bumper does not come with the bracket needed to attach to turn signal to it. We had to drill the old rivot on the GT bumper out to move this piece of hardware over to the Shelby bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-painted-section.jpg   Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-rivots.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 08:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GTRacerX
Greatly Appreciated ! Waiting for my commission check to come in to purchase the Shelby GT500 front fascia and do the install myself as well. Looks great !!
I wanted to see a close up picture with the GT Hood.
Don't have one with thr GT hood as I got my Steeda hood waay before this project. Sorry man
Old 8/6/06, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Once the brackets were swapped over, foam core installed and headlights installed it was presto change-o time. So we did a test fit to check for clearance issues, etc etc.

To be honset the Shelby bumper fits the Steeda hood way better than my stock GT bumper, It was rubbing on the underside of the hood big time! The Shelby bumper protrudes out less than that of the GT.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-test-fit.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 08:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now we are done.

I would like to thank 05stangKC for all of his work and research on this. Please don't email me asking for part numbers becasue I am not going to give them out. I am loyal to those that work hard and feel that if you want to benefit either order from him or do you own work.

I'd also like to thank OKLACOP for posting his findings and keeping me motivated while my bumper was in the paint shop FOR 2 WEEKS.

I hope you guys like the car, I sure do. I get people all the time breaking thier necks and what not to look at it on the road. I am done mod'ing for now as I have spent my fence, hot tub and deck $$$ on the 05. I have neglected them and my Mystic for far too long.

Take care and let me know if I can help on the install side of life.

jesse
Attached Thumbnails Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up-finished-rear.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 08:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
OK now to some specialty stuff. I noticed that OKLACOPs car had the radiator strut brace visible through his grill so I decided to paint mine black. I painted about 4" from center to each side when I did this to cover enough area.

Now the new bumper does not come with the bracket needed to attach to turn signal to it. We had to drill the old rivot on the GT bumper out to move this piece of hardware over to the Shelby bumper.
I took your advice and had my radiator strut brace painted before it left the shop. It's invisible now. You car looks great. I can appreciate that you did it yourself. I wasn't about to take on that chore. But again your car looks awsome.
Old 8/6/06, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great write up !!!

Thanks for sharing the experience and knowledge !! I've been collecting notes
on this conversion for several weeks now and I can't wait for the cash to come in so I can purchase the parts from KC.
Can't wait to do the conversion myself. Thanks again.
Attached Images  
Old 8/6/06, 08:36 PM
Big Falken Tires

Holy crap Jesse - that looks awesome!!!

I love it with that Steeda hood - nice paint scheme on that too

Looks totally bada**!
Old 8/6/06, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

That really looks great. You gave me inspiration to change mine now, also!
Old 8/6/06, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fastduo
That really looks great. You gave me inspiration to change mine now, also!
If this keeps up we are going to have to start our own site. I can just see it now..............

shelbyposers.com It has a ring to it. I'd be one of the proud founding members.

Seriously though Jesse, Your car is classy and cool. Thanks for the props earlier......I appreciate your interest in my conversion, it kept me inspired as well. Congrats again on a job well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8/6/06, 09:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for all of the kind words fellas, it has taken a toll on me to do this. I always thought that if you had the money you could build the car that you wanted with no issue. this thing has fought me tooth and nail the whole way.

So once again, thanks!!!!
Old 8/6/06, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great man!! I cannot wait to order that front end
Old 8/6/06, 09:20 PM
GT Member

Looks nice. Did you lower it too?

And I think its time to change that sig!
Old 8/6/06, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by daleksarewimps
Looks nice. Did you lower it too?

And I think its time to change that sig!
It's funny, my buddy Chris and I were just talking about it. And yes I lowered it using BMR Springs, first rate product. I did most of the work myself in my garage with my friends around to help.

Here is a current mod list;

BMR Lowering Springs
BMR Adj Panhard Bar
Foose 20" Nitrous Wheels
Steeda Hood
Custom Paint
Custom Painted Interior
GT500 Front Bumper
Magnaflow Axle Back
Husrst Shifter
MGW LTD Ac *****, E Brake Handle, radio ****, and locks
JLT CAI
Hireman Painted Plenum cover
Hireman Painted side ponies

Enjoy boys
Old 8/6/06, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good, Im starting to wonder how many faux GT500s will be on the road vs the real McCoy?

Reminds me of the Farside where all the wolfs are taking off sheep costumes and one of them says "wait a minute, are there any sheep out here".

Im not ******* anyone, for the money its the best looking body kit on the market. I would do it myself except I have to many other irons in the fire right now.
Old 8/6/06, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Great write-up and photo documentation, Jesse!

It'll make the job that much easier for those wanting to do this conversion.

Quick Reply: Shelby bumper conversion #3 COMPLETED!!! With pics and write up