2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A simple fix the brake oil reservoir leak.

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/06, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A simple fix the brake oil reservoir leak.

$.45 at ACE hardware. This looks like a fender washer but is soft and black. Neoprene washer 1/16 thick X 3/16 inside X 1 1/2 outside. Take off the cap, remove the factory liner, place the Neoprene washer in center of cap, replace the factory liner, replace cap.

No more leaking.

Disclaimer: I'm not a certified mechanic, do at your own risk.
Old 7/9/06, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an awesome idea! One thing that confuses me though. By installing this liner you're introducing a foreign object to the brake fluid reservoir. How do you minimize the risk of contaminating the brake fluid?
Old 7/9/06, 08:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Martimus
Sounds like an awesome idea! One thing that confuses me though. By installing this liner you're introducing a foreign object to the brake fluid reservoir. How do you minimize the risk of contaminating the brake fluid?
No, I did the same thing with another washer type.
It never touches the fluid. You put it between the cap and the factory rubber.
I have no leak now.
Old 7/12/06, 08:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like Ford needs to buy a crap load of washers and do this at the factory!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way I'm going to my local Ace hardware store today. Thanks Bruce.
Old 7/14/06, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
$.45 at ACE hardware. This looks like a fender washer but is soft and black. Neoprene washer 1/16 thick X 3/16 inside X 1 1/2 outside. Take off the cap, remove the factory liner, place the Neoprene washer in center of cap, replace the factory liner, replace cap.

No more leaking.

Disclaimer: I'm not a certifitied mechanic, do at your own risk.
Thanks man!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=48855&page=2
Old 7/14/06, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

Yet, Another fix to leaking master cylinder

I found a rubber o-ring from the pluming aisle at home depot (faucet repair section). I brought the cap with me. It measures 1.75" diameter, it is rounded and about 1/8" thick. Fits nicely under retaining tabs on the underside of the cap... No more leaking, so far.

Old 8/4/06, 10:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Neoprene? Brake fluid may disolve something like that. You might want to pour some brake fluid on it to see it there is a chemical reaction. If there is then your polluting the master cyclinder and possibly running a risk of having brake failure problems.
Old 8/13/06, 07:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by icemant180
Neoprene? Brake fluid may disolve something like that. You might want to pour some brake fluid on it to see it there is a chemical reaction. If there is then your polluting the master cyclinder and possibly running a risk of having brake failure problems.
What material would an o-ring or washer have to be made of so it doesn't disolve when it contacts the brake fluid? Thanks.
Old 9/4/06, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pouterson
What material would an o-ring or washer have to be made of so it doesn't disolve when it contacts the brake fluid? Thanks.
Rubber or silicone should be fine. After all the stock piece under the cap is rubber.

Richard
Old 9/4/06, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I used a slightly different approace. I removed the cap and pulled the plastic rubber piece from inside the cap. I then laid the rubber pieve ontop of a plastic lid (like form a margerine cup or deli container) and trimmed a disc the same size as the rubber piece.

I then inserted the disc inside the cap and then re-inserted the rubber piece. It looks exactly as before and no more leak.
Old 9/4/06, 09:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by odiaz
I used a slightly different approace. I removed the cap and pulled the plastic rubber piece from inside the cap. I then laid the rubber pieve ontop of a plastic lid (like form a margerine cup or deli container) and trimmed a disc the same size as the rubber piece.

I then inserted the disc inside the cap and then re-inserted the rubber piece. It looks exactly as before and no more leak.
That's different? To whom are you responding?
Old 9/6/06, 09:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Badsnke98

No more leaking.

Disclaimer: I'm not a certified mechanic, do at your own risk.
Mine never leaked badly at all - just a little seepage. But I found the same washer at Home Depot for $.63. Fixed the issue perfectly. No more seepage, even after the 1,200 mile round trip to Birmingham for the MCA Show.
Old 9/6/06, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol now all i gotta do is find this tiny washer in home depot! those stores are the worst for people helping u find stuff, at least where i live!
Old 9/11/06, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by official_style
lol now all i gotta do is find this tiny washer in home depot! those stores are the worst for people helping u find stuff, at least where i live!
You'll find them in the Hardware section, in the specialty fasteners case - the metal cabinet with about 4 bays of 6 drawers each.
Old 9/11/06, 10:55 PM

just another heads up about the leak. I recently told my Ford dealer about the issue and they removed about 2 tablespoons of fluid and I havent had any problems since.
She did good on the trip up to Alabama and back with no leaks.
Old 11/30/06, 02:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Removing fluid is just a band-aid fix or until the fluid sloshes around enough to seep out the top. The problem is with the cap gasket.

BTW the cap gaskets usually have a tiny slit cut into the center to prevent a vacuum from forming in the reservoir. If you use a 1 piece gasket and totally seal it, a vacuum may form.

Why hasn't an aftermarket vendor made a thicker gasket? This is something that we really need.
Old 11/30/06, 05:49 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

I quit waiting for a fix. I tried removing fluid , still leaked. I tried the extra gasket from the Hardware store , still leaks. I`m not wasting my time with the dealer , too much trouble for a little problem. I went to the Red-nek fix , I took a paper towel , rolled it down to 1/3 inch , made it flat , wrapped the bottom of the cap and wrapped 2 rubber bands around it. Once a month I`ll change it out. If you show your car , take the danged thing off.

Old 11/30/06, 05:56 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by KdF
I quit waiting for a fix. I tried removing fluid , still leaked. I tried the extra gasket from the Hardware store , still leaks. I`m not wasting my time with the dealer , too much trouble for a little problem. I went to the Red-nek fix , I took a paper towel , rolled it down to 1/3 inch , made it flat , wrapped the bottom of the cap and wrapped 2 rubber bands around it. Once a month I`ll change it out. If you show your car , take the danged thing off.

Hmmm that's smart! I'll take it up one notch more:
How about paper towels rolled and wrapped, then secured with a nylon zip-tie? Rubber bands tend to deteriorate when exposed to ozone, extreme temperatures, and etc... but nylon zip ties are a tad more resilient! I'm going to try this today. I knew the GT reminded me of my 81 Fox T-bird! I had paper towels wrapped around everything in the T-bird (Duraspark module, regulator connectors, etc...)
Old 11/30/06, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

I fixed mine by going to Ace Hardware and buying a rubber flat washer that was about 1-1/2 in diameter and had a hole in the center of it. I then trimmed it to fit and stuck it behind the stock rubber washer inside the cap and that seems to have cured the leaking.

Richard
Old 11/30/06, 09:12 AM
GTR Member

The only problem is that the Ace hardware rubber may not be rated for use in that environment.

Has anyone measured the cap to see if the older Ford master cylinder reservoir caps could be used?

I noticed that the GT's reservoir does NOT have a float that comes all the way up, like in the slightly older reservoirs. I always wondered why the float came up so high. It's probably there to minimize the amount of splashing that occurs.

Quick Reply: A simple fix the brake oil reservoir leak.