05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

ABS Honeycomb taillight panel - SilverHorse Racing

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/05, 10:59 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

After posting in multiple threads about blackout vinyl, panels made from "vaporware" and others that were moved here and there, I'm proud to announce our prototype for the Honeycomb Taillight Panel is complete, and production is moving forward as we have promised.

I'd like to first thank Brad :worship: for creating TMS, and also to everyone who has responded in other threads that helped improve our product from a poor photoshop into a reality. Also, thanks to everyone who has already pre-ordered our first product, and everyone who orders after they check out this thread and our website.

Know that this started as a labor of love, and that the obscene amount of funds to bring this piece to market would make the purchase of 2007 or 1967 Shelby look down-right cheap! That said, we're hoping that we're not the only ones who thought the newest Pony in the stable needed a little something to dress-up the back end a bit, and that this is the piece to do it.

As to the facts as they stand right now:

The panel is going to be made from injection-molded ABS, with UV inhibitors.
The panel will originally be molded only in black, but will be paintable with normal surface prep.
The panel will attach with 3M acrylic tape, the same used by Ford to attach body moldings.
The weight will be approximately 2 lbs, so it won't really affect 1/4 mile times!
The center emblem on the trunk does not need to be removed for installation.
It will fit both V6 and GT models.
It is contoured to fit the trunk, taking into account all arcs that are present.
It will be 1/2" thick at its thickest point, to "fill in" the area between the trunk surface and taillights.
It has ribbed channels designed to strengthen and reinforce the part.
It has drain holes in the bottom to keep water from staying in back of it, but fits the underside lip tightly, to keep out dirt, crud, and other assorted stuff.
The piece is solid, one piece construction, and the body color does not show through the honeycomb section.
The panel is a matte and gloss combo, similar to the front grill near the foglight area.
The honeycomb is a scaled down version of the front honeycomb found on the GT model.
The depth of the honeycomb is ~.180" (over an 1/8th, but under 1/4").
Delivery is targeted for September.

To keep things simple, a quick search for "2005 Honeycomb Taillight Panel" on EBay will bring up our most current auction, or do a search for items by SilverHorseRacing. This will make the Paypal, shipping, and other payment issues simple for anyone looking to order until our website is upgraded with shopping cart capability. We will accept postal M.O.'s as well, but Email us for our mail-to address.

So... some pictures are in order as promised....These are compressed heavily for our dial-up friends. Also note that the prototype's method of manufacture precluded multiple surface finishes, and actually left little "step marks" as it was made using lasers. These issues will NOT be a problem in the production piece. The production units will also have much better durability than the prototype, due to material differences.

[attachmentid=27158]
[attachmentid=27159]
[attachmentid=27160]
[attachmentid=27162]
[attachmentid=27163]
[attachmentid=27164]

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 7/13/05, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think those look great. My Christmas wish list keeps getting bigger.

Sam
Old 7/13/05, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

The honeycomb panel looks great!
I'm sure that there will be many people happy to see this product.
Old 7/13/05, 02:14 PM
GT Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7986657487

Pre-Sale Link
Old 7/13/05, 02:37 PM
GT Member

The early production photos didn't impress me, but these look very good.

I was considering painting, or a vinyl blackout panel, but now your honeycomb panel is looking like the best of the three.

Well done!
Old 7/13/05, 08:57 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Wow.... All I can say is thanks! The kind words and comments are greatly appreciated. Makes all this effort worthwhile.

Well today the sun was out, and the prototype had cooled off in the A/C (it changes shape due to the material it is made from) so it was fitting the car like a glove. I snapped off a bunch more pictures, so that you can see how well even the prototype is fitting the car, even with no adhesive.

On the downside, we received the final quote for the mold and initial production run of these parts, and the price went up almost 50%. That said, we have decided to honor our word and keep pre-order pricing at 89.00, but are going to be forced to change our production pricing, which we did not want to do, but are not going to have any choice in if we ever want to have a hope of paying for the tooling used to create it.

Anyway, a bunch of better pictures today, hopefully you will see one you like, and decide to pre-order! With a savings of almost 40.00, pre-ordering is definitely worth the wait.

[attachmentid=27283]
[attachmentid=27284]
[attachmentid=27285]
[attachmentid=27286]
Old 7/13/05, 09:02 PM
Legacy Tms Member

And a few more....

[attachmentid=27290]

[attachmentid=27291]
Old 7/13/05, 09:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

And finally...

[attachmentid=27292]

[attachmentid=27293]

I think short of a satellite view, and one from under the hood looking back, I've got most of the viewing angles covered!
Old 7/13/05, 09:12 PM

Just ordered mine. Yellow cars definitly need something for the back. I think it will look great.
Old 7/14/05, 12:11 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not my taste, but I want to say Good Job on the in-depth description and detailed, all inclusive, pictures.

A very professional post and all inclusive post for your new product. Too many times people come on here to push their products and tell (or show) us next to nothing. Only to be followed be a ton of questions and requests for more or better pics they should have given us in the first place.

I have to say I am extremely impressed and I hope you have your hands full trying to fill orders.
Any other products you have, I would be glad to take a look at.
Old 7/14/05, 07:13 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks. Although to be quite fair, our first posts in some of the other threads were of our photoshop of our product at the time because the prototype was still in development / manufacture. Having a real piece definitely makes for a better photo though! Of course, like I've said elsewhere, this was not only a business idea, but a labor of love, so we're definitely taking pride in not only our posts, but in our product.

And while I would hope that every Mustang should have one of our panels, I do understand that it isn't for everybody, and that's part of what owning a Mustang is all about, personalized rides. So hopefully our next product will be something that you will desire to add to your pony!
Old 7/14/05, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Marcello... would you guys happen to be making a flat black version of this rear panel?

Not that the honeycomb isn't nice or anything... I just prefer the flat black look.

I really love the quality and fit of your product... and I think it'd be such a great thing if you guys made a flat black version.
Old 7/14/05, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think I can wait until September!!!
Old 7/15/05, 05:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by sadsquared2@July 14, 2005, 6:15 PM
Marcello... would you guys happen to be making a flat black version of this rear panel?

Not that the honeycomb isn't nice or anything... I just prefer the flat black look.

I really love the quality and fit of your product... and I think it'd be such a great thing if you guys made a flat black version.
Well, sections of it will have a flat black appearance, and other sections will be glossy, but no section will be "true" gloss (mirror finish). As mentioned, the method of manufacture for the prototype did not allow for surface finish to be shown, just general fit and shape.

The glossy areas:
The honeycomb face
The side surfaces of the honeycomb
The face of the center ring
The tapered section of the center ring

The flat/ matte areas:
The inlay behind the honeycomb
The outer frame sides
The outer section of the ring that meets the honeycomb

Possible for matte finish (a final decision won't be made until the mold samples are complete)
The face of the outer frame.

If you want one with a matte outer frame, get on the pre-order list and leave me a note in the paypal section. I'll get one of the samples (there should be around 5-10) to be yours, because they will have a matte finish on the outer frame either way.
Old 7/15/05, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the way it looks but I wonder how it would look on a torch red GT or Windveil Blue with white stripes? Anybody feel like doing a photochop?
Old 7/15/05, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by bamaburnum@July 13, 2005, 9:15 PM
Just ordered mine. Yellow cars definitly need something for the back. I think it will look great.
Just placed order on Ebay. Will look great on my screaming yellow pony. I am using the black vinyl stick-on now which looks good, but this is more substantive.
Old 7/16/05, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just got my black vinyl stick-on which I'm going to install until my order for this honeycomb panel materializes!
Old 7/16/05, 03:40 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks!

As to materializing... the mold shop now has their deposit of 50% down (don't even ask how much that is...) to do this, so now we are actually at the stage of waiting for manufacturing to do their end of the job. The cavity / base are on order, and in 2-4 weeks, we'll be able to start machining the actual mold when it arrives. (Special order for a chunk of base and cavity that size...)

The measurements were checked one more time on Friday at the mold facility, a couple of minor adjustments made, and the final CAD models approved for production. We have spent over 2k dollars just in adjustments to the original, to make sure that fit and finish is better than anything else out there. Even the taillight angle was taken into account, since it does not perfectly match the trunk sheetmetal (there is a difference of about 1 degree in the two angles), and after checking this on about 5 different cars produced over 6 months, it is safe to assume that this is just how they all are.

We're as excited as everyone who has pre-ordered, because the prototype can't be installed permanantly on our car, so we don't get one until you get one! And that white GT definitely needs one!
Old 7/16/05, 11:50 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by 364@July 15, 2005, 9:50 AM
I like the way it looks but I wonder how it would look on a torch red GT or Windveil Blue with white stripes? Anybody feel like doing a photochop?
I'd like to see that also.
Anyone?
Old 7/17/05, 08:33 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I've tried to "color" our car to give people an idea, but I haven't had much success with it. (as I have admitted, my photoshop skills are ~ nonexistent)

I have received a couple of "back end" shots of different cars, but haven't had a chance to morph the piece onto the images yet. :scratch:

Quick Reply: ABS Honeycomb taillight panel - SilverHorse Racing