Fast Lane News, Tech, and Advice from one of the top teams in Mustang road racing, Rehagen Racing. General road racing discussion welcome!

5th gear lockout?(2013 GT)

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/14, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5th gear lockout?(2013 GT)

So I have read hundreds of posts about this but can't seem to find and cures for this.

2013 Mustang GT (Brembo/Recaro)
Nitto NT05's

Ran at TWS CCW. Coming up on the bank I shift into 5th gear. The first 1-2 laps are not that bad but its down hill after that. I continually fight with it having to push harder each time to get it into 5th. After the car cools down or on the way back to Houston the car drove fine...no problem in sight.
At first everyone yelled oh your syncros are going out....but it dosent grind or ever kick it out of gear and it only does it once its super hot.

Is this the lockout issue I hear people refer too?

The car does have a few thousand miles left on warranty but They will never be able to re create the problem.....not without tracking it. And I doubt they will open it up without being able to feel it (I mean 4th gear at 7k is hard to do on the highway often) and I dang sure don't want some tech out there ragging on it.

My plan is to change the tranny fluid to redline MTL, they car has about 30k daily on it and over a year or 10+ track weekends) maybe it's just time for new fluid anyway. I'm also going to intall the shifter bracket...Barton or steeda since I've heard great reviews on both. Also going to install that whiteline tranny bushing to try and help as well.

Anything Else I can try maintance wise? I'd rather not do a shifter....I hate the notchy feel on the road course.

Thoughts or experience?

-Justin
Old 1/30/14, 04:41 AM

here is a vid.....you can hear me getting slower and slower into 5th ever lap on the front straight..
Old 1/30/14, 07:55 AM

The 5.0L Mustang uses a shared fluid reservoir between the brakes and the clutch. We often see this at the track, but I'd surprised that is only happening in fifth gear. The fluid gets low, or hot and can not provide enough pressure to fully disengage the clutch.

Our suggestion on this is to make sure that you keep the brake fluid/clutch fluid fresh. Also make sure that it is topped off and bled properly. The bleeding is probably the most imperative. Follow the factory bleeding procedure on brakes and clutch, but you may also want to get a vacuum pump and modify to pull out any remaining air left in the lines. We do this in house with all of our race cars.

Feel free to email us directly if you have any other questions.
Old 1/30/14, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, this is something new I have not heard yet(after a week of trying). I use motul 600 and change it twice a year. I check it after every session. HOWEVER, I've not been bleeding as often as I should and the brakes where a tad softer than they have been so this will be TOP of my list. For extra security I am going to change the tranny fluid since its never been touched....and possibly add the shifter bracket....barton or steeda. Thanks again
Old 1/31/14, 08:58 AM

Not a problem. We've heard good things about the shifter bracket, but have not used them on the track.

Make sure the brakes are topped off as well. As your pads wear the fluid level will drop and can starve the clutch slave for fluid pressure.

Good luck
Old 7/12/14, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
I've been having the same issue racing my car on road courses. Fifth gear seems to be the worst at high RPMs as well as downshifting from fifth gear to fourth gear.
Here are some solutions
1. Whiteline transmission mount bushing
2. Braided stainless steel clutch cable
3. Dot 4 brake fluid
4. Aftermarket shifter with bracket
Old 7/22/14, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Not relevant to the thread, but nice driving. I track my car as well, and have a few posts under Mustang Motorsports.

I heard good things about Redline fluid. Good luck!

P.S. What made you decide on MTL vs high temp ATF, or Racing ATF? Just curious.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/22/14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 8/6/14, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Not relevant to the thread, but nice driving. I track my car as well, and have a few posts under Mustang Motorsports.

I heard good things about Redline fluid. Good luck!

P.S. What made you decide on MTL vs high temp ATF, or Racing ATF? Just curious.

Thanks,

Honeslty I just look at the cars around me at the track....the guys I race with who have more track dedicated cars and use what works I guess.

Just for some info, I did the steeda shifter bracket, whiteline transmission bushing, and the redline fluid.....NONE of it made a difference one bit. The shifter feels better but I still get locked out. The only way I avoid this most of the time is to Shift lower 6600-6800. If I shift there it glides right in. I hate it because it bulls so hard through 7500 but id rather drive than have a broken tranny so it will do for now.

Had a buddy recently switch the the twin disk and it eliminated his problem....I feel the problem lies more in the clutch than the transmission.

Hitting TWS 8-9-14 :-)