Notices
2011 - 2014 GT/CS Special Section for the California Special owners.

Hellion Twin Turbo Project

Old 9/8/13, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I was wondering if you could share what, if any, prior mods your car has? I'm strongly considering hellion's TT kit for my GT, the plan being to forgo any of the standard standard I/H/E/Tune based mods until after the kit is installed and based on your pictures, it looks like you might be starting with the TT kit as well.

Thanks a ton,
-Mike
Old 10/8/13, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Incredible progress!
Old 10/10/13, 04:25 PM

Awesome build! In for more updates.
Old 10/11/13, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm excited to see the final outcome! How is it going now?
Old 10/18/13, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by figit
Kevin thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I was wondering if you could share what, if any, prior mods your car has? I'm strongly considering hellion's TT kit for my GT, the plan being to forgo any of the standard standard I/H/E/Tune based mods until after the kit is installed and based on your pictures, it looks like you might be starting with the TT kit as well.

Thanks a ton,
-Mike
My car was stock when I started this. I figured why waste money on parts that will just come off anyway.

OK. Got everything buttoned up.

Soldered and heat shrink the connection for the fuel pump trigger.

Then I wired up the Hobbs Switch from the 2nd pump.

Here you can see, the Hobbs Switch triggers the 2nd pump.

I was also able to mount my new catch can set up. I had to use spacers to set it away from the firewall so it would be easier to access and give room for the fuel pump wiring fuse.

Here she is now all finished up!

Old 10/18/13, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub'd for numbers and driving results...
Old 11/28/13, 01:40 PM

Here's a quick video I just made.

Old 11/28/13, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice!!
Old 11/28/13, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That looks suspiciously like I35 and 121 in Lewisville.
Old 11/28/13, 05:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What made you trade the Victories for the Super Sports?
Old 11/29/13, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Moustang
That looks suspiciously like I35 and 121 in Lewisville.
Close, I-35 in MEXICO!

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
What made you trade the Victories for the Super Sports?
Had someone offer me money for them when I was installing the turbo kit so I sold them. Figured I would try something with a different color to match the C/S stripes a little better and Steve @ True Forged had a set of SS. So I figured I would give them a shot. I think they go well with the theme of the car.
Old 12/18/13, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks incredible!
Oh man I'm so jealous!
This... This is my goal one day.
Old 1/3/14, 06:05 PM

Since I do all my own tuning and tune on the street, I haven't had a chance to get the car on the dyno until the other day.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to break anything and I didn't want to go over 650 RWHP with the stock motor so I pulled a few degrees of timing out and made 2 quick pulls just to see where I was at. I kept the revs down the first pull and stopped at 6500 just to check. Then made a pull to almost 7000.

This is on the wastegate spring pressure that is only supposed to be 5 psi. The boost was around 6 psi and went around 7 psi up top.

Anyway, I did everything myself in my garage on jack stands and tuned it on the street.

Info on the set up. Stock Motor, Stock 6R80 Auto, Stock Converter, Stock Gears. 3" O/R X and 3" Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back. ID1000's, Full Fore Fuel System, E85.

Here's a few pictures and videos.

Old 1/3/14, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

ok this just made me rethink my WHOLE plan on going with a tvs blower or the kenne bell 2.8lc blower. Those turbos sound awesome. Does it come with a BOV or did you get one? I love the way the spooling sounds and when you let off.
Old 1/3/14, 06:37 PM

It actually comes with two of them. One for each turbo.
Old 1/3/14, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

i thought it came with 2 wastegates and 1 tial bov or am i just getting it confused? Is there any difference between a wastegate and a bov?
Old 1/3/14, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Your Stang....sick...just...sick. I love it, great build you have going on! Any plans to make more power? Get forged internals?
Old 1/3/14, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joey8
i thought it came with 2 wastegates and 1 tial bov or am i just getting it confused? Is there any difference between a wastegate and a bov?
Wastegate is used for extra exhaust once the pressure is met in the turbo housing. It modulates the flow so it doesn't keep building pressure. Since he is at 5-7 psi, most of the exhaust goes into the wastegate as opposed to the turbo itself.

The bov is for when the turbos go into a vacuum (no throttle) it's releases the pressure in the turbo. Some bov's recirculate the pressure to help build boost when throttle is opened again thus lessening lag. Some just let it go into the air. For a bov think an air compressor. When you're done you can pull the valve that empties it.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/3/14 at 07:50 PM.
Old 1/3/14, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Forgot to mention how bad *** that set up is. Great write up as well. Thanks for the time you put in not only on the build but to help us too.

Friend of mine just did a custom set up. Fabbed it all up from scratch. TT is def the way to go with the 5 oh.
Old 1/4/14, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by joey8
It comes with 2 wastegates and 2 bov's. The wastegate directs the unused portion of exhaust that is used to make boost, back to the exhaust after the turbo. They have springs inside which regulate pressure. My springs are supposed to hold 5 psi, but I saw 6 and it slowly climbs to around 7 up top. I have an EBoost2 for a boost controller that can direct pressure to the other side of the wastegate spring to hold even more pressure, thus creating more boost. Only thing is, I do not want more power at this time due to the stock motor. The bov's are there to release the excess pressure when you let off the gas. The turbo's are building pressure into the motor and when you let off the gas the throttle blade slams shut so the boost has no where to go. The bov's release the excess pressure so it doesn't damage the turbine due to backpressure.

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Your Stang....sick...just...sick. I love it, great build you have going on! Any plans to make more power? Get forged internals?
I plan on selling the stock motor this year and putting in a low compression Aluminator along with new clutch packs in the trans and a Circle D converter. I plan on turning it up to 800-900 RWHP and calling it a day. If I am feeling happy one dyno day I might crank it up to 1000 just for a print out, but I won't leave it there.

Originally Posted by typesredline
Forgot to mention how bad *** that set up is. Great write up as well. Thanks for the time you put in not only on the build but to help us too.

Friend of mine just did a custom set up. Fabbed it all up from scratch. TT is def the way to go with the 5 oh.
Thanks. The new 5.0's are great platforms for boost. It's amazing what little boost it takes to make great power with these cars!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hellion Twin Turbo Project