Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

What is the best track tire for the Boss that is still streetable ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/14, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best track tire for the Boss that is still streetable ?

Pirelli p zero corsa system ?
Old 1/25/14, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

There are a fair amount that like the Michelin PIlot Sport 2. I think the BFG Comp 2 that they use on the cars at Miller Motorsports Park are very nice.
Old 1/25/14, 06:51 PM

Ok thanks
Old 1/25/14, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Toyo Proxes R1R or the R888's though I think the 888's aren't very good in the rain. Really the best deal would probably be to get some 18x10's and you can get take off slicks all day for about 100 a piece for the track.
Old 1/26/14, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bossman302F
Bossman, IMO the P Zero Corsa's (standard on the LS Boss models) are ok but I have experienced "chunking" of the tread on the OE fronts and now more recently on the OE rears. I have tracked the car a number of times and perhaps it is a driving style, air pressure, surface temperature, brake point, etc issue. I have only used the Pirellis at the track and have another set (rims/tires) Hankook Ventus V12 EVO for street use. The Hankooks are also the same size as my OE tires.

My next set of tires will be street/track and I will be migrating to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport's. They make this tire in direct replacement OE sizes preserving the geometry setup Ford worked so hard to develop for our live axle car. The last time I checked the prices ($303 front, $352 rear) for the Michelins, they are considerably less than the OE Pirellis and I have it on good authority from a development driver, these SS offerings really perform better than the OE tires we got.

You might consider these. http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ign=PSNational
Old 1/26/14, 10:09 AM
GT Member

Call Bob Woodmen tire and look at the new Pirelli Trefo system. Every thing I have read is this is top shelf about the same price as the Corsa System.
Old 1/27/14, 12:20 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I've been hearing stuff feedback on BFG Rivals
Old 1/27/14, 05:23 PM
GT Member

It would be tough to beat the BFG Rivals or the Hancook RS3s. Get them in 18s or 19s.
Old 1/27/14, 05:37 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,627 Posts
Originally Posted by Further
It would be tough to beat the BFG Rivals or the Hancook RS3s. Get them in 18s or 19s.
I just did a quick check on BFG website and nothing for my OEM size are you recommending different rim sizes as well?
Old 1/27/14, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I just did a quick check on BFG website and nothing for my OEM size are you recommending different rim sizes as well?
295/35/18 not exactly 27" but 26.1" isn't awful and you could fix that with a tuner I would think.
Old 1/27/14, 05:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Bossman, IMO the P Zero Corsa's (standard on the LS Boss models) are ok but I have experienced "chunking" of the tread on the OE fronts and now more recently on the OE rears. I have tracked the car a number of times and perhaps it is a driving style, air pressure, surface temperature, brake point, etc issue. I have only used the Pirellis at the track and have another set (rims/tires) Hankook Ventus V12 EVO for street use. The Hankooks are also the same size as my OE tires.

My next set of tires will be street/track and I will be migrating to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport's. They make this tire in direct replacement OE sizes preserving the geometry setup Ford worked so hard to develop for our live axle car. The last time I checked the prices ($303 front, $352 rear) for the Michelins, they are considerably less than the OE Pirellis and I have it on good authority from a development driver, these SS offerings really perform better than the OE tires we got.

You might consider these. http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ign=PSNational
I paid about $600 each (rounding up) for a set of rear tires for my car, so the PSS's are a hell of a lot cheaper then the Corsa's are but IDK how they stack up compared to the Corsa's. I think they are a great street tire but IDK how they would do on the track to be perfectly honest.

I think I will be replacing my Corsa's with PSS though as I have heard great things about them here and on BMO.

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
Call Bob Woodmen tire and look at the new Pirelli Trefo system. Every thing I have read is this is top shelf about the same price as the Corsa System.
I have also heard some great things about the Trefo tires especially on the Z/28. I am curious about how these work and last to be honest.
Old 1/28/14, 05:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford20
I paid about $600 each (rounding up) for a set of rear tires for my car, so the PSS's are a hell of a lot cheaper then the Corsa's are but IDK how they stack up compared to the Corsa's. I think they are a great street tire but IDK how they would do on the track to be perfectly honest.

I think I will be replacing my Corsa's with PSS though as I have heard great things about them here and on BMO.

I have also heard some great things about the Trefo tires especially on the Z/28. I am curious about how these work and last to be honest.
I to had problems with the front tires the roll center is to great. 450 lb springs in the front and a good adjustable sway bar will solve the problem. No matter what tire you put on the left front will burn up with out spring changes on the track. I will be trying the Trefo once I go thru this last set of Corsa.s. Woodman says the Corsa is a street tire designed for the track. The Trefo is a track tire designed for the street. Good luck
Old 1/28/14, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

Is anyone running the Falken Azenis 615K in 295/40/18? OD is 27.2" so barely any bigger than OE. The old 615s were great for Evos and such when they came out years ago I just don't know much about the newer K model. I am thinking about a square setup with the Vorshlag 18x10s.

http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/azenis-rt615k
Old 1/28/14, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Original thread question. And Bossman302F I interpret your question as to which tires are suggested to replace the OE Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires, ie you want to maintain the Ford developed stagger geometry and keep the 19" rims.

Originally Posted by jim woodruff

Hey Jim the Trefo tires do look interesting. The Pirelli website on this tire seems to comment in several locations it is not the best wet tire and was really developed for, “Designed for racetrack driving on dry asphalt.... P Zero™ Trofeo is not recommended for use in very wet track conditions.” My only concern with the recommendation is the tire might be a bit compromised in wet street driving, if that is an important consideration for Bossman302F. The picture of the “tread” looks a bit shallow to achieve the DOT street rating. It certainly looks like a good candidate for track and limited street use. Also a plus is this tire system is available in our OE tire sizes.
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorsport/sheet/pzero_trofeo.html

Originally Posted by ford20
I paid about $600 each (rounding up) for a set of rear tires for my car, so the PSS's are a hell of a lot cheaper then the Corsa's are but IDK how they stack up compared to the Corsa's. I think they are a great street tire but IDK how they would do on the track to be perfectly honest. I think I will be replacing my Corsa's with PSS though as I have heard great things about them here and on BMO.

Ford20, the PSS’s will certainly do both track and street uses. As I stated in my post, I discussed follow on tires for my Boss when the PO Corsa’s were worn out with a driver who has tested/evaluated several brands and he very highly recommended the PSS’s as soon as I could. He indicated the difference is significant. I am told the Boss “team” wanted the Michlen’s OE but there were some internal hurdles which just could not be surmounted and Ford has had a longtime and good relationship with Pirelli (since Firestone Wilderness AT issue).
Old 1/28/14, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I need to correct my statement. It appears Tire Rack only has the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo's in a 17" dia size and Jim's suggested site Bob Woodman does not carry the Boss OE sizes.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/p-zero-trofeo/
Old 1/28/14, 11:50 PM

So to get the p zero tofeos I'd have to get 17 inch rims.
Old 1/29/14, 06:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
I need to correct my statement. It appears Tire Rack only has the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo's in a 17" dia size and Jim's suggested site Bob Woodman does not carry the Boss OE sizes.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/p-zero-trofeo/

Something is a miss here when I talked to them and looked at the tires at Daytona. The 19" boss front tires were in stock and the rears were on there way. I you drive your car in standing water both Corsa and Trefo are not the best. The best thing is have two sets of wheels if you are going to track and that way you will never loose a track day because of weather conditions. (except for ice ) Good luck
Old 1/29/14, 08:06 PM

Thanks !
Old 2/1/14, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

If you want a pair of rear Pirelli Corsas for a killer price ($550 for two new stickered ones - retail for $500-600 each), I got a pair that won't last long.

BUY HERE: http://www.dgracing56.com/#!product/...285-35zr19-new

Last edited by DGRacing; 2/1/14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 2/2/14, 10:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I'm running 295 18 35 square on 18 by 10 rims.

Quick Reply: What is the best track tire for the Boss that is still streetable ?