Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/11, 06:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more

Spoke with Fords marketing director for the Mustang today. Asked a bunch of questions (poor guy) and I did get a lot of info on trackey. First off he is saying mid-July.

Any dealer can program the car, they order it with VIN.

The red key is a different key, you can not program the black key. He said the key will have no effect on the Pats system. So if you have a Trackey programed and make an extra third key it will not effect it. He thinks that if you get an extra red key and use the black and red to make an extra using a red key you will have two trackeys.

The program goes into the computer so no battery disconnect issues just like we thought.

Trackey is being held up by CA CARB. It is not that Ford dropped the ball on this but they could not even apply for certification until the first production cars were sold.

$302 buys the program (MSRP) and it is for each individual car. There may be a labor fee from the dealer on top of that.

He also wanted us to know that the plant is down right now and that is a parts issue. It is not because there are more supply of Mustangs out there then they need. That is evident to me because my dealer has only 2 12's and both were sold, including mine.

Sorry I did not ask how long it will be down this time.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/8/11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 06:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Miller Motorsports has no date yet. This also has to do with the parts, the line comes first and sounded like something to do with tires. Also Miller is getting four new Bosses and they are not ready yet (plus 4 more pre-prod cars). Classes will be small, he said something like 6 or 7 per.

They are not expecting a vast majority of people to take advantage of this program. That may be true as we here are more hard core into the Boss compared to the total numbers of owners.

The hard number for the LS this year is 750. Mostly likely next year also. Total number will be less then 4000 including LS's maybe less but not more. All Bosses have been allocated to the dealers so if a dealer tells you then can get another made that is a lie.

I was told that setting five on the Boss does not equal one on the LS. He was not 100% certain but he said it was something in between 2-3 or right around three on the LS to the Boss's five

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/9/11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
The red key is a different key, you can not program the black key. He said the key will have no effect on the Pats system. So if you have a Trackey programed and make an extra third key it will not effect it. He thinks that if you get an extra red key and use the black and red to make an extra using a red key you will have two trackeys.
I'm not sure I follow. If I want an extra key (red and black) do I need to buy them from the dealer and then have the red one programmed to activate TracKey?

The program goes into the computer so battery disconnect issues just like we thought.
What battery disconnect issues? I have a custom tune flashed into my PCM and if I disconnect the battery, I don't have to reflash it. It's no different than if you unplug your computer, you don't have to reinstall all the software.
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The program goes into the computer so battery disconnect issues just like we thought.
Thanks for the info.

If the program goes into the computer, why would it be lost if the battery were disconnected?
GT Member

Great info, thanks. I wonder if the dealers will charge the same if somehow the battery gets disconnected

Locke62
Old 4/7/11, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miller Motorsports has no date yet. This also has to do with the parts, the line comes first and sounded like something to do with tires. Also Miller is getting four new Bosses and they are not ready yet (plus 4 more pre-prod cars). Classes will be small, he said something like 6 or 7 per.

They are not expecting a vast majority of people to take advantage of this program. That may be true as we here are more hard core into the Boss compared to the total numbers of owners.

The hard number for the LS this year is 750. Mostly next year also. Total number will be less then 4000 including LS's maybe less but not more.

More to follow

Thanks for the info
Old 4/7/11, 06:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Barrett Jackson West Palm Beach. Five Boss 302's, Silver, Orange, Black, Yellow and White.
Attached Thumbnails Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0973.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0981.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0989.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0992.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0994.jpg  

Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0995.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0996.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg0999.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1000.jpg  

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/7/11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 06:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I'm not sure I follow. If I want an extra key (red and black) do I need to buy them from the dealer and then have the red one programmed to activate TracKey?

What battery disconnect issues? I have a custom tune flashed into my PCM and if I disconnect the battery, I don't have to reflash it. It's no different than if you unplug your computer, you don't have to reinstall all the software.
The red and black keys are two different keys with a different chip inside. I have a non-flob key programed in my Boss so the Black key is no issue, any correct Pats key will work. Unless you want it say Boss 302 on it, then you will need to get one from the dealer.

The red key that comes with the car will work fine once it is flashed, you will need to buy the special red key to have two track keys (a back-up) race keys. I asked him and bring it up only because you need to have 3 keys with a new Ford. If you have two and lose one it is a trip to the dealer to program it and more then a hundred dollars. So why not make a extra race key as a spare. He was not 100 percent on this but assumed it will work that way (red key clone).

I am not saying there was any issue with a battery disconnect, I just wanted to hear for sure that would not be an issue and it is not. I like to ask all questions and make certain rather then have any surprises later, just the way I am.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/7/11 at 06:54 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 06:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Oh I see where I explained some of this wrong or forgot this part.

Say you have two keys, red and black and the red is programed into a Trackey. You want to make a spare (third) key, you get it cut, then program the new key like any other Ford car or truck - turn one key on remove turn second key on and then insert and turn on the third unprogramed key to Pats program it. This process will not mess with the Trackey program or the already programed red key, the Pats and Trackey are two different programs. Now doing this will make an extra normal black key but if you use the special chipped red key it should make it into a second Trackey.

Again this was not an issue but a question I had.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/7/11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 07:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Super nice people there that worked for Ford. Everyone was happy to help out answer questions and they love what they do. I asked if they could find the DVD since they were not being handed out. He went and searched and came back with two (one for a friend with me). He also brought me a Boss 302 press kit. It is pretty thick, some things I have seen and some new info. He also let me have one of the signs that are displayed in-front of the Bosses on display, needless to say I was a happy boy today

Need to get this framed for the car shows!
Attached Thumbnails Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1007.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1008.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1009.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1010.jpg   Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1011.jpg  

Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1006.jpg  
Old 4/7/11, 07:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Very cool Scott
Old 4/7/11, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Ford is using existing tech for the Trackey in their own words(citation needed), so the Trackey is like Ford's myKey, but instead of the key switching the ECU to an adjustable limited set of parameters(e.g. mph limit), the Trackey switches the ECU to a permanent second set of parameters that kick ***!
Old 4/7/11, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

The red and black keys are two different keys with a different chip inside. I have a non-flob key programed in my Boss so the Black key is no issue, any correct Pats key will work. Unless you want it say Boss 302 on it, then you will need to get one from the dealer.

The red key that comes with the car will work fine once it is flashed, you will need to buy the special red key to have two track keys (a back-up) race keys. I asked him and bring it up only because you need to have 3 keys with a new Ford. If you have two and lose one it is a trip to the dealer to program it and more then a hundred dollars. So why not make a extra race key as a spare. He was not 100 percent on this but assumed it will work that way (red key clone).

I am not saying there was any issue with a battery disconnect, I just wanted to hear for sure that would not be an issue and it is not. I like to ask all questions and make certain rather then have any surprises later, just the way I am.
Scott, what is a non fob key? What does it look like? When I adjust my seat, my knee can hit the fob. Does the non fob key fix this?
Old 4/7/11, 08:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Scott, what is a non fob key? What does it look like? When I adjust my seat, my knee can hit the fob. Does the non fob key fix this?
It is the Pats key without the key-less entry buttons integrated into it. The Mustang is tight anyway I put the seat far forward in the Boss when driving it, more then I would in other cars. Being 6'1" my knee just clears it so I got a key ring that I can easily separate the key for driving since anything dangling from it hits my knee and bothers me.

So yes it will help having the non flob integrated type but you can not make a Trackey from it.

Also forgot to mention any dealer can program the Trackey, not just Ford racing dealers.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/7/11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could you post a picture with the black key next to the non fob key? I did a google search, but I'm not sure I'm looking at the right images...the pats ket still looks big.

I'm tall too, when I drive on the track my seat is up to command the wheel better, and with the red track key I'm going to have serious issues. I wish we hadna telescoping wheel.
Old 4/7/11, 08:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more-cimg1013.jpg  
Old 4/7/11, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Does the car need to be present to program the key? I ask because I'm getting stationed in Italy this summer and the car will probably be shipped mid/late June.
Old 4/7/11, 08:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes, the red key is a specially chipped key but it only acts to activate the program that is written in the car's computer.
Old 4/7/11, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

**** it. I wonder if a Ford dealer in Italy can do it then. Maybe shipping the computer back might be an option if not.
Old 4/7/11, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Could you post a picture with the black key next to the non fob key? I did a google search, but I'm not sure I'm looking at the right images...the pats ket still looks big.

I'm tall too, when I drive on the track my seat is up to command the wheel better, and with the red track key I'm going to have serious issues. I wish we hadna telescoping wheel.
Dave, I'm only 5'9" and when I raise the seat for better position my right knee bangs the keys hanging off the key ring. Guess I need to have a ring or connector that disconnects when using.

Quick Reply: Trackey Update, Build Numbers, Plant News and more