Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/11, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update

A few short weeks ago I stated that Cool Tech LLC was committed to developing key products to improve the capabilities of the already great Boss 302. Our first priority has been to *try* to address the high water temps and the undoubtedly high oil temps during sustained track usage in warmer weather. Further, I said we would become a sponsor here before I just want to give a brief update on this project with a few poor pictures of where we are at and next steps.

As everyone likely is aware, the Boss engines employs an oil-to-water cooler than sits between the block and oil filter. This is a nice design from both a packaging perspective and an expense point of view if you are the OEM. Although certainly better than nothing, it is not necessarily ideal. As has been noted here on this and other Forums, track usage with ambient temps above 80-85F result in water temps of 240+ degrees. We suspect that oil temps are 270-300F (ignorance is bliss!)…. which is really unacceptably high for engine longevity. In the OEM configuration, the system is trying to cool (estimated) 270F+ oil temps with 240F water. Obviously, that’s not going to work well. Further, the OEM system constrains the lower radiator hose in order to divert significant water flow through the aforementioned OEM sandwich style cooler. Our idea has been to eliminate the OEM oil cooler, restore “normal” flow through the lower hose and through the engine and radiator, and simultaneously “un-tax” the water cooling system from having to cool the engine oil. This, in itself, should theoretically yield cooling benefits – as long as there is simultaneously a means to control oil temps.

I’ll provide more details at a later time, but there is a lot of thanks here due to some key people at Setrab who have helped us to engineer a solution specific for the Coyote engine. (Setrab and Cool Tech LLC previously worked together to develop and bring to market a world-class transaxle cooler kit for the Ford GT.) Together, we have not been after merely duplicating the cooling capability of the OEM oil cooler – but we really wanted to increase the capacity. This objective is rooted in the theory that it is BOTH the water AND the oil that help to cool the engine and if we can select a cooler with significant BTU capacity, we are really going to improve temperatures at the track. The combination of un-taxing the cooling system from oil cooling duties and then simultaneously doing a BETTER job of cooling the engine oil is the engineering premise on which we have moved forward. The current design also increases oil capacity from 8.5 quarts to 9.7 quarts – which is also a benefit. Other factors such as cooler placement (which radiator quadrant), bracket design, installability, line sizing and routing all must be considered. None of this is necessarily easy or haphazard. Another consideration is that we wanted to design a kit that would work equally well in 5.0L 4V GT’s, Boss 302, and Boss 302 LS’s (which have some unique brackets up front). Equally important is not to have a kit that only works well for warm climates and driving conditions but that also works well in cold conditions. This is why the incorporation of an oil thermostat was included – one that ensures a minimum (185F) engine oil temperature is achieved prior the routing of oil through the cooler.

So, with all of this said, where are we at? Although the project was delayed a bit (because we had an un-planned Ford GT engine R&R and twin-turbo upgrade that we had to start), we are just completing the prototype and ready for testing and validation. Our LS will get loaded onto a carrier at the end of the week bound for MMP for track testing next Wednesday and Thursday. There will be at least 3 other LS’s at the track with us (all friends) so we will have the opportunity to see the effectiveness in real-world conditions. Please count on us to be as transparent as possible with the members here about whatever results/outcomes that we see. From one of the pics, you might notice an additional sensor at the remote oil filter. We have also incorporated an oil temp gauge into the car in place of the goofy g-force gauge in the LS. (Note that this may be an option in the kit for LS owners as we may be able to provide some unique and helpful installation instructions to assist owners.) We want the solution to work and would like to be perceived as fellow-owners instead of a vendor. We could have a line or fitting failure that would make all this effort (and expense) for not – or we could have either good or bad results. Count us to share it like it is. If we need to go back and make additional changes and improvements – we are committed to do that. In the best case scenario, our testing at MMP will be a validation of what we have set out to do. All of the custom brackets, lines and mounting hardware has been accounted for. We have made a duplicate copy of each custom bracket and have further created the CAD models needed for production. We have two more LS’s here that would serve as our production validation mules when and if we have a solution that we intend to market.

OK, one final note in this novel and I’ll shut-up. We are looking to have very good results to round out the value equation of this kit. None of the components that we are using are inexpensive. The kit will not be inexpensive. You will have the data that we have to see the effectiveness. Our intention is to offer a very complete kit and very detailed, highly illustrated instruction. But, I’m getting ahead of myself…. the next step is to see if the **** thing works.

Time for some crappy iphone pics.

Here is a pic of the Boss OEM lower radiator hose - with the restriction/diverter to force water to route through the OEM oil cooler.

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update-radhose.jpg

Here is a (bad) pic of the mounted (40,000+ BTU) heat exchanger as well as lines and line routing.

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update-broad.jpg

This is picture of the engine block without the cooler and with the in/out lines attached. OEM pressure sensor is barely visible.

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update-enginebrkt.jpg

Here is a pic of the remote oil filter adapter and fittings.

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update-therm.jpg

Finally - here is a (really bad) pic of the newly installed oil temp gauge. Gauge is green because "low warning" mode is enabled due to low temp setting (more on this later).

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update-litgauge.jpg

Last edited by nota4re; 8/15/11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 8/15/11, 01:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking forward to track report.
Old 8/15/11, 01:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Will be looking forward to the track report as well. I'll be at MMP the following Sunday. Make sure to show it to roketman next week so he can tell me about it at Track Attack.
Old 8/15/11, 02:32 PM
V6 Member

I want one!!!
Looks great Kendall. Looking forward to seeing the differences at the track.
Old 8/15/11, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like a well thought out soultion. I'm a big believer in "if your going to do something (anything) Dot it right!"

However, it sounds like one more thing to spend money on, for a Car that is "Track ready". Hmmmmm?
Old 8/15/11, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Make sure to show it to roketman next week so he can tell me about it at Track Attack.
I (seriously) would like Rocketman to help with some of the hot-lap testing. If it would work for him, seems like it would work for anyone... LOL!
Old 8/15/11, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
I (seriously) would like Rocketman to help with some of the hot-lap testing. If it would work for him, seems like it would work for anyone... LOL!
Since his Laguna didn't make it for the event, I'm sure he'd take you up on your offer
Old 8/15/11, 03:59 PM

Looks like awesome progress by Cooltech once again. As I stated before, I had the Cooltech trans axle cooler on both my Ford GT's.... Looked better ( and I bet performed better ) then the offering from Ford Racing.
Old 8/15/11, 04:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Pablo Bravo
Looks like awesome progress by Cooltech once again. As I stated before, I had the Cooltech trans axle cooler on both my Ford GT's.... Looked better ( and I bet performed better ) then the offering from Ford Racing.
I can second that. He does incredible work on GTs, including fixing work done by some of the "experts" out there. Great products and really great people. Kendall and his family are top notch...
Old 8/15/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I volunteer !
See you in Utah!
Kendal ,still no Laguna ! Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday .
I love the temp gauge idea!
Did I mention that I’d volunteer to be your test driver?
You are going to love this track!

Last edited by roketman; 8/15/11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

You must have read my mind since I would have loved to have a oil temp gage instead of the g-force gage.

Nice job!
Old 8/15/11, 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

You must have read my mind since I would have loved to have a oil temp gage instead of the g-force gage.
LOL. Apollo likes it too and we're gonna try to get one installed in his LS to better make comparisons to the OEM oil cooler and what we have done.

Rocketman - see you soon, my friend!!
Old 8/15/11, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome.

Will the oil cooler placement adversely affect the cooling ability of the radiator?
Old 8/16/11, 04:06 AM
Bullitt Member

LOL. Apollo likes it too and we're gonna try to get one installed in his LS to better make comparisons to the OEM oil cooler and what we have done.

Rocketman - see you soon, my friend!!
Kendal,
Now you’ve got me all excited!
Old 8/16/11, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice work as usual Kendal.
My Boss is being picked up today for the trek to Utah.
See you soon on the track out west!!
Old 8/16/11, 07:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Have a great time out there you guys. Would love to put a GT on track one of these days. Sounds like there will be a good mix of cars.....lots of Laguna Secas. Now to really see something, how about one of you run down a GT in your Boss
Old 8/16/11, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Gary,
Ron, Kendall and I will give it our best. Big track for our use and anticipated big speeds from the GT's which should disadvantage the Mustangs.
Need more driving experience from Mr. McGowan (Tier IV) as I am sure he will be able to run many down.
Old 8/16/11, 11:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

In for the results.
Old 8/16/11, 12:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 on results
Old 8/16/11, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Awesome.

Will the oil cooler placement adversely affect the cooling ability of the radiator?
^^^This^^^

Quick Reply: Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update