Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track Key Installation Nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/14, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Track Key Installation Nightmare...

Took the car in on Monday (June 30th) for the Trackey installation, left there at 8:30am and was told it would be done in a couple of hours. I went back at noon to pick it up. As soon as the servise writer saw me I knew there was a problem. He told me that they were having an issue programming the PCM. The key programmed fine but halfway through doing the PCM the program crashed and they were not able to get it back. The tech was on the phone with Ford Racing trying to figure it out. So they offered me a loaner until they had it fixed. He said it would probably take a couple of hours. So I got the loaner and went home and waited for them to call me. 5:30 that afternoon I called them to ask what was happenening and was told that Ford Racing couldn't figure it out and they were now dealing with Ford engineers. As july 1st is a holiday (Im in Canada) I was told that they would not be able to get it fixed until July 2nd.
10:30am July 2nd I get a call from the dealer saying they are working on it and were hoping to have it resolved in a couple of hours. 3:30 I get another call saying that they can't fix it. Basically I now have a 50 thousand dollar hot wheel. They now are taking out the PCM and have to send it to the USA for the Ford engineers and Ford Racing to re-program. But, because July 4th is a holiday in the US it probably would not get done until Monday or Tuesday (July 7 or 8th). By the time they send it back here and re-install it, I probably won't have my car back until July 11th.
I went to get my stuff out of the car and they had the whole dash torn apart where I had just installed my new Kenwood 691HD ! They said that the original radio was needed to do the Trackey !!
So what was supposed be be a 1 hour computer flash has now turned into a 2 week affair and I still don't have my car. Driving a Ford Edge is not the same !!
At least I still have my 69 vert, thankfully back in 1969 they didn't have computers in cars!
Has anyone else had any issues with getting their Trackey installed ? Should I be concerned about any further damage that may come from this ?
Old 7/7/14, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by flight96
They now are taking out the PCM and have to send it to the USA for the Ford engineers and Ford Racing to re-program.
I read something in another thread that Canadian dealers are having problems programming the TracKey, crashing about halfway through. Can your dealer VPN to a US IP address?

Has anyone else had any issues with getting their Trackey installed ? Should I be concerned about any further damage that may come from this ?
I would suspect that once your PCM is programmed it will be fine. Check out the TracKey thread about AC and catalytic converters though.

Edit: I just realized this is a BOSS thread and all my info is about the GT TracKey. Read here for more info and decide for yourself...

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=529250

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 7/7/14 at 04:12 PM.
Old 7/9/14, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

I can't imagine how on earth the stock radio is required to perform the Track key install ? Sorry to hear about your woes, I too had to get a loaner and be without my Boss for a few days while they sorted out the problem (PC related...).
Old 7/10/14, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I finally got the car back. The Trackey works great, very glad I got it installed. They didn't charge me anything for it, which is great ! But....my SYNC doesn't work now. When I push the button on the steering wheel I get nothing.... So it looks like I will be ripping apart my dash again tonight.
Old 7/10/14, 03:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I finally got the car back. The Trackey works great, very glad I got it installed. They didn't charge me anything for it, which is great ! But....my SYNC doesn't work now. When I push the button on the steering wheel I get nothing.... So it looks like I will be ripping apart my dash again tonight.
Why not take it back to dealer to get it looked at?
Old 7/10/14, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Why not take it back to dealer to get it looked at?

Because I have installed a Kenwood DIN

Name:  IMG_4626_zpsed66f251.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4616_zps3e963595.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  88.9 KB

Last edited by flight96; 7/10/14 at 10:27 PM.
Old 7/12/14, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Your Kenwood even came with Canadian music. Is Sync supposed to work with that?
Old 7/13/14, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Try yanking the positive battery cable for half an hour and reset everything. I have a DNX690 + Trackey (TK installed before Kenwood) and it works fine. There is a minor glitch were my iPhone connection and music only comes thru the left channel, and I have to change the source from 'Bluetooth' to 'Sync BT Audio'. Once I do that, it tries to connect, makes a funky beep tone, then I connect to 'Bluetooth' and it works fine.

Did you upgrade to the latest Kenwood firmware?

If you are still stuck after trying the above, post over in the Audio section, and 12V_Guy -Mark, should be able to help....
Old 7/16/14, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

65sohc, the SYNC worked great with it before they tore it apart. And the Canadian music is from an American channel, 92.9 KISM...

ace72ace, I talked with 12V Guy at ADS, he thinks they probably forgot to plug in the 3.5 mm audio cable. I am hoping to tear the dash apart tonight to see. Good thing is the dash comes apart fairly easily.
Old 7/16/14, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took the car in on Monday (June 30th) for the Trackey installation, left there at 8:30am and was told it would be done in a couple of hours. I went back at noon to pick it up. As soon as the servise writer saw me I knew there was a problem. He told me that they were having an issue programming the PCM. The key programmed fine but halfway through doing the PCM the program crashed and they were not able to get it back. The tech was on the phone with Ford Racing trying to figure it out. So they offered me a loaner until they had it fixed. He said it would probably take a couple of hours. So I got the loaner and went home and waited for them to call me. 5:30 that afternoon I called them to ask what was happenening and was told that Ford Racing couldn't figure it out and they were now dealing with Ford engineers. As july 1st is a holiday (Im in Canada) I was told that they would not be able to get it fixed until July 2nd.
10:30am July 2nd I get a call from the dealer saying they are working on it and were hoping to have it resolved in a couple of hours. 3:30 I get another call saying that they can't fix it. Basically I now have a 50 thousand dollar hot wheel. They now are taking out the PCM and have to send it to the USA for the Ford engineers and Ford Racing to re-program. But, because July 4th is a holiday in the US it probably would not get done until Monday or Tuesday (July 7 or 8th). By the time they send it back here and re-install it, I probably won't have my car back until July 11th.
I went to get my stuff out of the car and they had the whole dash torn apart where I had just installed my new Kenwood 691HD ! They said that the original radio was needed to do the Trackey !!
So what was supposed be be a 1 hour computer flash has now turned into a 2 week affair and I still don't have my car. Driving a Ford Edge is not the same !!
At least I still have my 69 vert, thankfully back in 1969 they didn't have computers in cars!
I have a 14 GT and was thinking about track key after reading about it in track key installation pdf it states at NO TIME is the programmer supposed to exit vehicle while installing because they could bump the processing messing it up and the Dealer must pay for new PCM if he doesn't follow the installation process. check it out under track key at Ford racing !
Old 7/18/14, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear of your install woes.

Just makes me thank my lucky stars I did not opt for this junk "upgrade" that was originally rolled out way late and was significantly different than marketed by Ford Racing. Plenty of aftermarket tunes which do very similar changes and actually offer IMPROVED performance.
Old 7/18/14, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

I really like the Trackey tune, and how I can transform my driving experience with just the red key. Sure it only adds 8hp, but the throttle response, engine braking, lopey idle, all while keeping my warranty makes it a winner in my eyes.

Was I disappointed it wasn't as gnarly as the original TK tune that was raped by the tree hugging dckheads at CARB? Yes. But it's still fun, esp on a back road blast through the twisties.
Old 7/18/14, 03:39 PM
Cobra Member

65sohc, the SYNC worked great with it before they tore it apart. And the Canadian music is from an American channel, 92.9 KISM...

ace72ace, I talked with 12V Guy at ADS, he thinks they probably forgot to plug in the 3.5 mm audio cable. I am hoping to tear the dash apart tonight to see. Good thing is the dash comes apart fairly easily.
Yeah it's easy to miss a connection on that little module. Good luck.
Old 7/18/14, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
I really like the Trackey tune, and how I can transform my driving experience with just the red key. Sure it only adds 8hp, but the throttle response, engine braking, lopey idle, all while keeping my warranty makes it a winner in my eyes. Was I disappointed it wasn't as gnarly as the original TK tune that was raped by the tree hugging dckheads at CARB? Yes. But it's still fun, esp on a back road blast through the twisties.
I bet the Chinese wish they had tree hugging ********* so that they could breath some cleaner air like we do.
Old 7/18/14, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by orng302
I bet the Chinese wish they had tree hugging ********* so that they could breath some cleaner air like we do.
I'm sure some do, but I'd bet none of them have the TracKey.
Old 7/18/14, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I'm sure some do, but I'd bet none of them have the TracKey.
or healthy lungs.
Old 7/21/14, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

So all is working correct now. They had the plug in the iPod spot, not the sync spot. So now I can finish the audio upgrade with new speakers in the doors.
Old 7/21/14, 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you.