Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/11, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spare Tire

I am under the impression that GT's come with a spare and the V6 does not. From what I have read the Boss comes with the inflation kit like the V6. I think the inflation kit is about as stupid as it gets but that aside what is everyone planning to do?

I would like to carry a full size spare. My questions will be:

Will the rim width cause any problem with the Torsen? IE having a 9 on one side and a 9.5 on the other? I assume I will use a 9 as a spare.

If I decide to use a spacesaver type will this cause any kind of problems?
Old 1/13/11, 11:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford does not include a spare with Brembo pack cars either. I believe there is an issue using a spare with the Brembo brakes and not fitting or being safe. I plan on using what comes with the car.
Old 1/13/11, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Spare? LOL

Don't sweat it man. A full size doesn't even fit in the spare tire well. Either buy yourself a donut or use the kit IF you ever need it.

When was the last time you had a flat?

*knocks on wood
Old 1/13/11, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Ford does not include a spare with Brembo pack cars either. I believe there is an issue using a spare with the Brembo brakes and not fitting or being safe.
Actually I had heard that also, meant to ask that also. I assume that it is true but I was not certain.

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Spare? LOL

Don't sweat it man. A full size doesn't even fit in the spare tire well. Either buy yourself a donut or use the kit IF you ever need it.

When was the last time you had a flat?

It only takes once, I never had a house or car burn but I still carry insurance for it. Last thing I want is to be stuck with a ripped or somehow damaged tire I can't use a pump to inflate on the side of the road.

I will not mind carry a full size spare since there will be nothing else in the trunk, it will not be a DD. I am just asking what other may be planning and if there will be any compatibility issues (or even if someone knows of a spacesaver type that may work on our cars).

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 1/13/11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 1/13/11, 11:50 AM
FR500 Member

It's not the width but the diameter that really matters. Mounting two tires of different diameters on a limited slip axle will wreck the diff. If a rear goes flat, mount the temp on the front, and put the front wheel on the back of the car. It's a real pain, but there's not much choice.
Old 1/13/11, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

1-800-241-3673
Old 1/13/11, 01:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

1-800-241-3673
AAA?
Old 1/13/11, 02:10 PM
Cobra R Member

AAA?
Ford
Old 1/13/11, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

AAA?
Originally Posted by Big Vito
Ford

Ford Roadside Assistance
Old 1/13/11, 03:19 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1-800-241-3673
That probably works ok for city slickers but...
Old 1/13/11, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That probably works ok for city slickers but...

Son I live in the kuntree
Old 1/13/11, 03:37 PM
Post *****

Son I live in the kuntree
Then you know what I'm talking about.

The 2 lane mountain twisties I go play on may or may not have cell signal - much less a timely visit by a tow company a hundred miles away. I could starve and be bear food by the time they get to me.

So, I bought a Marauder mini spare (that matches my diameter within range) & jack.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/13/11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 1/13/11, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

I just roll the dice.
Old 1/13/11, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
It's not the width but the diameter that really matters. Mounting two tires of different diameters on a limited slip axle will wreck the diff. If a rear goes flat, mount the temp on the front, and put the front wheel on the back of the car. It's a real pain, but there's not much choice.

Just like on the 2000 R.
Old 1/13/11, 03:58 PM
Post *****

I just roll the dice.
"It's not that some plan to fail, it's that they just fail to plan"
Old 1/13/11, 04:04 PM
GT Member

And I was toying with the idea of picking up my Boss in Washington and driving it home (Alaska)!!! ??? I was wondering if the GT spare would work with the brakes for clearance for a few miles to a tire store?
Old 1/13/11, 04:06 PM
Banned

i just bought a mini spare from a guy. its from a factory 19inch wheel GT. so it should be fine with the rear. im not planning on driving 300 miles on it. Who is going to have a 19 inch tire in stock? If u are in the middle of no where
Old 1/13/11, 04:24 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt
i just bought a mini spare from a guy. its from a factory 19inch wheel GT. so it should be fine with the rear. im not planning on driving 300 miles on it. Who is going to have a 19 inch tire in stock? If u are in the middle of no where
You have to check it. Most GT mini spares were 17's is what I have read.

Ford is really pathetic about this - they should at least offer as an $$ option a proper sized spare that clears all brakes. Plus if you use the inflator kit, it ruins the tire and TPMS - assuming it seals the leak. That's an expensive proposition.

I was lucky the Marauder spare is within range for my 235/50x18 diameter so I can use it on the rear without tearing up my Trac Lock differential.

I agree that I haven't had an actual flat in prob 20 years. I have had a few nails in tires and just pumped them up and drove the half hour into town and had the tire shop fix it.

However, if you are in the middle of nowhere, and have animals to feed back home, being stranded would get me really pissed at Fords alternative. Not to mention wasting hours on the side of a potentially dangerous highway.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/13/11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 1/13/11, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
You have to check it. Most GT mini spares were 17's is what I have read.

Ford is really pathetic about this - they should at least offer as an $$ option a proper sized spare that clears all brakes. Plus if you use the inflator kit, it ruins the tire and TPMS - assuming it seals the leak. That's an expensive proposition.

I was lucky the Marauder spare is within range for my 235/50x18 diameter so I can use it on the rear without tearing up my Trac Lock differential.

I agree that I haven't had an actual flat in prob 20 years. I have had a few nails in tires and just pumped them up and drove the half hour into town and had the tire shop fix it.

However, if you are in the middle of nowhere, and have animals to feed back home, being stranded would get me really pissed at Fords alternative. Not to mention wasting hours on the side of a potentially dangerous highway.
Buy the Discount Tire insurance.
Old 1/14/11, 06:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Thanks PT, I do understand the limited and locker rears but not the Torsen since that is new to me. I was wondering if there is any issue of having a spare that is not equal to the other side in any way. My knowledge of a Torsen is limited and only comes from what I have read since ordering the car and nothing address this issue.

As far as phone numbers and rolling dice, that is not my way. I do enjoy the craps table but 45K did not come easy to me and I plan to protect it the best I can. If some can afford to roll the dice with your 45K go for it but that is not what I asked.

I don't want to sit somewhere waiting helpless over a simple flat tire. I also do not want to have greasy hooks attached to my Boss to drag it on a flatbed and damage the front end, especially if the flat is upfront. I also don't want the Boss towed on a wheel lift with a front flat and the rear wheels rolling. In that case the drive shaft will need to dropped to tow it properly, again something I do want to do (on the side of the road) if I can avoid it with a simple spare tire.

Guess I keep searching for a alternative to the inflation kit.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire