Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

New BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/12, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine...
Attached Thumbnails New BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2-image-850697676.jpg   New BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2-image-4280122477.jpg  
Old 9/14/12, 03:28 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

ok
ordered a set of BFG Sport Comp2 today in OEM sizes
should be on the Boss next week
....Pirelli are gone...@ 14k miles.... 3 track events....
Old 9/14/12, 05:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by JPC
ok
ordered a set of BFG Sport Comp2 today in OEM sizes
should be on the Boss next week
....Pirelli are gone...@ 14k miles.... 3 track events....
I've got 6k and 3 track days on my Pirellis and the are almost done. Track day next weekend then I am going with the BFG's
Old 9/14/12, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

im very curoius about the new MT street tires...... the do amazing stuff for drag radials and i would expect nothing less from them than a top notch tire
Old 9/15/12, 04:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
im very curoius about the new MT street tires...... the do amazing stuff for drag radials and i would expect nothing less from them than a top notch tire
http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...mp-tire-video/
Old 9/17/12, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

So....I was pretty set on getting these for my Boss when the tires go. I got to race on them last week at Track Attack. Let's go over the story:

Day 1 - Boss wearing Pilot Sports. Sticky as hell - no problems all day.

Day 2 - GT wearing Comp 2's. First session of the day I went off track twice including an 80 mph spin on a switchback. The grip just wasn't there. I had to bring my speed down quite a bit because these tires just couldn't handle it. I was uncomfortable most of the day as I felt like I was always on the edge of losing grip.

I don't know if I can justify the Pilot Sport price, but if you can I say go for it because they are amazing.
Old 9/17/12, 10:32 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
So....I was pretty set on getting these for my Boss when the tires go. I got to race on them last week at Track Attack. Let's go over the story:

Day 1 - Boss wearing Pilot Sports. Sticky as hell - no problems all day.

Day 2 - GT wearing Comp 2's. First session of the day I went off track twice including an 80 mph spin on a switchback. The grip just wasn't there. I had to bring my speed down quite a bit because these tires just couldn't handle it. I was uncomfortable most of the day as I felt like I was always on the edge of losing grip.

I don't know if I can justify the Pilot Sport price, but if you can I say go for it because they are amazing.
PS2 or new Super Sports?
Old 9/17/12, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JPC
PS2 or new Super Sports?
Pretty sure it was PS2s.
Old 9/17/12, 01:18 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Crap
DT called me back rears 285-35-19 on back order til Nov/Dec
....so now I need to find another tire...

maybe S04's....came in second on Car and Driver tire report:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...osition-page-9
Old 9/17/12, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

the gts dont handle as well as the boss so you cant drive it like one..... i didnt have any issues with the gt not spinning it out and i was keeping up with the guys in the fr500s...... a few spots i was faster a few spots they managed to use there car properly and pulled away from me.... i'm pretty sure i lapped everyone else in the gt's the second day just just ask Further we both had the same day to hit the track
Old 9/18/12, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
the gts dont handle as well as the boss so you cant drive it like one..... i didnt have any issues with the gt not spinning it out and i was keeping up with the guys in the fr500s...... a few spots i was faster a few spots they managed to use there car properly and pulled away from me.... i'm pretty sure i lapped everyone else in the gt's the second day just just ask Further we both had the same day to hit the track
If you were keeping up with the FR500s then you were a significantly better driver than them. I checked with one of the instructors and they said they have to nearly hot lap in a GT to keep up with students who are "decent" in an FR500. Those cars are 400 pounds lighter, lower, stiffer, have significant down force from their aero pieces AND they are running full race slicks. It's not even close.

The suspension setup on the track prepped GT is pretty close to the Boss. I felt the tires were the weak point. If you disagree thats ok - I mean what else is the internet for? :P

Last edited by thevidon; 9/18/12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 9/21/12, 12:15 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

resolution78, thanks for posting picture
any rubbing issues?
Old 9/21/12, 04:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JPC
resolution78, thanks for posting picture
any rubbing issues?

none...
Old 7/21/14, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JPC
Another tire option:
Mickey Thompson Street Comp
255-40-19 $234 285-35-19 $248
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...&type=SS&bnr=y

Street Comp
The Ultimate UHP Tire For American Muscle

The Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire is built for ultra high performance applications. The Street Comp provides incredible traction, crisp handling, and high speed cornering ability with the outstanding appearance you?d expect from Mickey Thompson. Compounded for both dry and wet traction and a with a 300 AA A UTQG rating, the Street Comp will improve the look and handling of your muscle car.
  • Asymmetric Tread Design
  • Superior Wet and Dry Performance
  • Delivers Crisp and Tight Steering Response
  • UTQG 300 AA A
Anyone else here tried the Mickey Thompsons? I recently bought a set of the BFG Sport Comp2s and was disappointed by the extra road noise compared to the factory BFG all-seasons my 2007 GT Convertible came with. Since I drive with the top down 90% of the time road noise is very important to me. I then swapped those tires/rims for a set of 19" GT/CS rims with OEM P-Zeros and while they are ultra quiet, grip SUCKS.

So now I'm thinking about what to replace them with, and have been leaning toward the Mickeys. I've read reviews that the MT's are very quiet. Anyone know? At this point, I am just looking for the quietest summer tire. Preferring 255s on my 19x8.5 rims all around.
Old 7/28/14, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flguy
Anyone else here tried the Mickey Thompsons? I recently bought a set of the BFG Sport Comp2s and was disappointed by the extra road noise compared to the factory BFG all-seasons my 2007 GT Convertible came with. Since I drive with the top down 90% of the time road noise is very important to me. I then swapped those tires/rims for a set of 19" GT/CS rims with OEM P-Zeros and while they are ultra quiet, grip SUCKS.

So now I'm thinking about what to replace them with, and have been leaning toward the Mickeys. I've read reviews that the MT's are very quiet. Anyone know? At this point, I am just looking for the quietest summer tire. Preferring 255s on my 19x8.5 rims all around.
You can't compare all-seasons to summer tires. The GT/CS comes with all-season P-Zero Neros, not the P-Zero summers that come on the Track Pack/Brembo and Boss 302.
Old 7/28/14, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
You can't compare all-seasons to summer tires. The GT/CS comes with all-season P-Zero Neros, not the P-Zero summers that come on the Track Pack/Brembo and Boss 302.
Good to know! I wasn't aware there is a P-Zero summer. I will check it out. I'm getting very close to a purchase.
Old 7/29/14, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my input, I have the BFG Comp 2s and love them! The look, the grip, the treadwear even! The price is also awesome! I actually run the rear size tire on all fours. Creates a really nice bulge and since I don't track it (yet), it doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 7/29/14, 10:38 AM

Can you post a pic? What size are you running? What kind of effect does the bulge have on performance/cornering? I have the stock 245/45-19's and was thinking of upgrading to 255/40-19's, but if I can go higher I would like to, i just don't know how that would look or feel.
Old 7/29/14, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
285/35-19 on all four corners.
And to be honest, I actually bought the car, used, with this set up.
Still has staggered wheels though, i made sure to measure that when I brought it home.

As far as handling goes, for just aggressive street use, great! I have ZERO experience with this car at the track though... any kind of track so far.

I love the look and it actually doesn't look like it bulges more than the rear does... but then again, it only sits 1/4" wider on each side of the wheel so no wonder.
As far as some would probably assume understeer... nope. Not once... but then again, no track use so far.

I'd like to see some in the normal size just to see if the increase in width is worth the cost when I go to buy new tires.
Attached Thumbnails New BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2-photo-1.jpg  
Old 7/29/14, 03:34 PM

Nice. Any spacers on that? If not, looks like 285's are the way to go. What are you rim sizes exactly?

I was also worried about understeer issues with that much rubber up front, but if you say it's not an issue, I believe you. I wonder if it makes a difference on a 2007 vs. 2012. Probably not I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: New BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2