Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

LS Rear differential vent....

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS Rear differential vent....

Are they SUPPOSED to have one? Mine has a bolt in it from the factory...just curious...
Attached Thumbnails LS Rear differential vent....-bolt.jpg  
Old 10/5/11, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
top of your differential cover has a functional vent.
I've got a "turkey baster" on the axle.
Gary runs a turkey baster on axle and top of differential cover. But he runs flat out so I guess he needs it.
Old 10/5/11, 09:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Here's a link to the part.

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/...z-4a058-b.html
Old 10/5/11, 10:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
top of your differential cover has a functional vent.
I've got a "turkey baster" on the axle.
Gary runs a turkey baster on axle and top of differential cover. But he runs flat out so I guess he needs it.
What is the 'turkey baster' purpose?
Old 10/6/11, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by rmaginnis
It was a TSB Ford issued due to diff fluid venting under extreme (read track) conditions. It provides additional expansion capacity along with a functional vent if the fluid expands beyond the volume provided by the "turkey baster". One issue with the axle location is clearance to the exhasut. As you can see from my pics, I melted the top of the vent on the axle turkey baster. I subsequently ordered an additional one to replace the factory vent on top of the diff cover, thus double basted I ran the two basters at the Mustang Roundup at MPH and had no venting issues. I haven't run them at BIR yet, where the mile long straight really heats up the diff, so I can't say with 100% certainty the problem is solved. That said, it was venting even at MPH with just one baster previously, so I think this will be adequate. On my GT500 I used a piece of tubing attached to a breather filter on the axle which allowed the fluid to go into the filter and drain back down into the axle. A friend of mine with a 5.0 rigged a catch can to some hose and ran it into his trunk. He has a breather filter on top of that in case it went beyond the filter, but it never got as high as the can during that same weekend at MPH.
Attached Images    

Last edited by cloud9; 10/6/11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10/6/11, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Old Shelby KR solution, not made anymore, but to give you an idea of what can be done:

http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDe...e=8R3V-4022-KR

Old 10/6/11, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
It was a TSB Ford issued due to diff fluid venting under extreme (read track) conditions. It provides additional expansion capacity along with a functional vent if the fluid expands beyond the volume provided by the "turkey baster". One issue with the axle location is clearance to the exhasut. As you can see from my pics, I melted the top of the vent on the axle turkey baster. I subsequently ordered an additional one to replace the factory vent on top of the diff cover, thus double basted I ran the two basters at the Mustang Roundup at MPH and had no venting issues. I haven't run them at BIR yet, where the mile long straight really heats up the diff, so I can't say with 100% certainty the problem is solved. That said, it was venting even at MPH with just one baster previously, so I think this will be adequate. On my GT500 I used a piece of tubing attached to a breather filter on the axle which allowed the fluid to go into the filter and drain back down into the axle. A friend of mine with a 5.0 rigged a catch can to some hose and ran it into his trunk. He has a breather filter on top of that in case it went beyond the filter, but it never got as high as the can during that same weekend at MPH.
I ran a single turkey baster on top of the diff and didn't have any problems. I'm headed to VIR next weekend which has much higher speeds and I'll report back if I get any venting problems.
Old 10/6/11, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rmaginnis
TURKEY BASTER THEORY OF OPERATION
As the car is driven, the axle heats above ambient temps from internal friction and the air inside the axle expands. Ford installs breather cap or vent on top of the Boss’ differential cover. The vent allows the axle to breathe and not pressurize the wheel bearing oil seals or the front differential oil seals.

The ring gear is partially submerged in gear oil and as it rotates it slings gear oil inside the differential housing. The faster the ring gear spins, the more gear oil it slings and the more the oil is atomized. As the axle breathes, some of the small atomized oil droplets can pass through the vent. The turkey baster provides a location where the flow speed of vented oil droplets will slow down and coalesce on the walls of the baster bulb. After they coalesce into larger droplets, they drain back into the axle.

If the speed of the vented air is higher, oil droplets are carried out the axle vent = oily, drippy rear axle, suspension and back bumper cover.

I ran a single turkey baster on top of the differential cover at MSR-Houston two weekends ago and it puked oil big time. In the pits it caused a 6 inch oil puddle under the car between runs. MSR-Houston is a 17 turn 2.38 mile course www.msrhouston.com . Ambient temperature was 94-96 degrees. Top speed on the front and back straights was 120-130 mph.

Perhaps a second turkey baster installed on the axle tube could keep the air vent speed below oil puking velocity. If that fails it may be time to punt the turkey baster and install a 3 foot long piece of rubber hose at the top of the differential, install the original vent at the other end and route and secure the vented end to the car body.

Last edited by 2012-LS134; 10/6/11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10/6/11, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012-LS134
TURKEY BASTER THEORY OF OPERATION
As the car is driven, the axle heats above ambient temps from internal friction and the air inside the axle expands. Ford installs breather cap or vent on top of the Boss’ differential cover. The vent allows the axle to breathe and not pressurize the wheel bearing oil seals or the front differential oil seals.

The ring gear is partially submerged in gear oil and as it rotates it slings gear oil inside the differential housing. The faster the ring gear spins, the more gear oil it slings and the more the oil is atomized. As the axle breathes, some of the small atomized oil droplets can pass through the vent. The turkey baster provides a location where the flow speed of vented oil droplets will slow down and coalesce on the walls of the baster bulb. After they coalesce into larger droplets, they drain back into the axle.

If the speed of the vented air is higher, oil droplets are carried out the axle vent = oily, drippy rear axle, suspension and back bumper cover.

I ran a single turkey baster on top of the differential cover at MSR-Houston two weekends ago and it puked oil big time. In the pits it caused a 6 inch oil puddle under the car between runs. MSR-Houston is a 17 turn 2.38 mile course www.msrhouston.com . Ambient temperature was 94-96 degrees. Top speed on the front and back straights was 120-130 mph.

Perhaps a second turkey baster installed on the axle tube could keep the air vent speed below oil puking velocity. If that fails it may be time to punt the turkey baster and install a 3 foot long piece of rubber hose at the top of the differential, install the original vent at the other end and route and secure the vented end to the car body.

Anyone else having problems with just 1 turkey baster?
Old 10/6/11, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
Anyone else having problems with just 1 turkey baster?
When I just had the one installed on the axle, and the factory vent on top of the diff, I still have a fair amount of fluid venting out. That could be because the path of least resistance was that vent, but I'm not sure. I never ran it with just the single turkey baster on the diff cover and leaving the bolt in the axle. I installed it there initially because I wasn't sure there was adequate clearance on top of the diff cover with the suspension fully compressed. After 2006Mach1 pointed it out, I realized there is more than enough clearance up there for it.
Old 10/6/11, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

I must not be driving my car 'flat out' then as I haven't noticed any axle lube coming out so far. Thanks for the explanation everyone.
Old 10/6/11, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Old Shelby KR solution, not made anymore, but to give you an idea of what can be done:

I'm a little susprised no one has started making a kit for our cars.........
Old 10/6/11, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

My fluid has been venting out the valve on the diff. I need to come up with something...

Anyone know of a diff cooler that can mount in the rear under the car.... just not in the trunk?
Old 10/6/11, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09

It isn't that they are no longer made but rather that Shelby has decided to sell what stock they have to KR owners only. They used to sell them to anyone...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...reservoir.html

Originally Posted by GT_350
I'm a little susprised no one has started making a kit for our cars.........
Surprise! Someone DOES make a kit.

You can purchase them from http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Musta...-reservoir.htm
Old 10/6/11, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tob*
It isn't that they are no longer made but rather that Shelby has decided to sell what stock they have to KR owners only. They used to sell them to anyone...

Surprise! Someone DOES make a kit.

You can purchase them from http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Musta...-reservoir.htm

Oh! I think I got one of the last ones a few years ago before that happened then.

This other piece looks much nicer than the Shelby, and about the same price.
Anyone with welding skills can fab one up for much less, I'd imagine.
Old 10/7/11, 12:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the KR bottle but have not installed. Our race car and my previous '06 would puke quite a bit. Had the KR can on my 06, and on the race car, just a line going to a Dasani bottle zip-tied to the back of the fuel tank.

Haven't seen any puking on the BOSS yet w/ the higher vent location. I am pleased.
Old 10/7/11, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 06GT
Haven't seen any puking on the BOSS yet w/ the higher vent location. I am pleased.
I checked mine and no leakage here.
Old 10/7/11, 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rock the turkey baster as well.
Old 10/7/11, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

For a little band aid......two turkey basters on the way! Thanks Rick for the link.
Old 10/7/11, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by adam81
For a little band aid......two turkey basters on the way! Thanks Rick for the link.
Hopefully you confirmed that was the correct part. I got that link from another thread but am about to order one myself just for insurance.

Quick Reply: LS Rear differential vent....