Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Getting the track key

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/11, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting the track key

If you want the track key it might be in every ones best interest to ask you service department about it now. Most dealers will be getting 1-3 Boss 302's so I doubt they are going crazy getting the required program for this.

I asked my service dept. about it today and they did not have any info on it at all. They did make a call to find out what needs to be done to have it installed and they did return a call to me today but the only info they received was about what it does. There was no info on how the dealer can get the program or even if it is available to them at this point.

I was told he will keep checking as I made it clear I would like to have it day one. Lets see what happens.
Old 2/28/11, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it only Ford racing dealers or will all dealers be able to do this?
Old 2/28/11, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Is it only Ford racing dealers or will all dealers be able to do this?
They did not know for sure, so far there is very little info on the track key besides what it does. I have a ton of questions about it and they were unable to get an answer to any. He did say that it is quite possible only Ford Racing dealers can do it. I called around a few days ago to places listed on the FRP site and no one knew anything except that the non-Ford car dealer FRP "stores" will not be able to do it.

That is the first absolute answer I have received even if it was bad news. I have a feeling I will have the car before the track key is ready to go.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 2/28/11 at 04:16 PM.
Old 2/28/11, 04:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Hope they figure it out when I get mine
Old 2/28/11, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I remember reading in one of the articles posted that only Ford Motorsports parts dealers would be able to do the install. I have also called my area Motorsports dealers and they were clueless as well.
Old 2/28/11, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Guess I have an excuse to visit the Dealer for something other that bugging them for info on delivery of my ride.
Old 2/28/11, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
I remember reading in one of the articles posted that only Ford Motorsports parts dealers would be able to do the install. I have also called my area Motorsports dealers and they were clueless as well.
I may not have all the inside info but my understanding is the difference between them is an "authorized Ford Racing parts dealer" can order parts at wholesale and sell retail. Any non authorized dealer can still order parts directly but the pay the retail price for it, that is how a parts guy explained it to me. I personally do not think it will be limited to only special dealers, I have never heard of Ford not letting a dealer not have access to parts or materials to service cars they sell, I could be wrong but that does not seem like something they would do on purpose.
Old 2/28/11, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think any parts are involved. I believe that only "authorized" dealers will install the software.
Old 2/28/11, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I don't think any parts are involved. I believe that only "authorized" dealers will install the software.
Correct no parts involved, just pointing out (from what I have been told) there is little difference between what is considered an authorized dealer and not. If that is the case some people may have to travel very far to find a place that can do it.
Old 2/28/11, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

According to my dealer....that is the case. Luckily, an authorized dealer is close by; I hope their service department is better than their sales department.
Old 2/28/11, 07:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Good point. The dealer where I purchased my car only has one allocation, mine! So I doubt they will know much about it. There are a few authorized Ford Racing dealers close to me so hopefully one of them gets it figured out before my car arrives.
Old 2/28/11, 07:30 PM
GT Member

my dealer had the deer in headlights look when I asked about it.
Old 2/28/11, 07:38 PM
GT Member

The nearest auth. installer then would be over 2300 miles away!
I checked with Ford when it first was announced and was told that any dealer
would be able to do the flashing and key matching. A standard shop item.
I sure hope so or I am upset in Alaska with no FRPP dealer here!
Old 2/28/11, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just a reflash. I have to believe any Ford dealer can do it. They have the equipment to reflash PCMs so the Boss shouldn't be any different. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't offer it with a Pro-Cal tuner directly from FRPP so you can make adjustments down the road for tire size or gear changes.
Old 3/1/11, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

My dealer can/ will do this.
Old 3/1/11, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FAST FRED
Have they figured out exactly how though? So can mine, but they are a bit confused on how to go about it. The service manager is calling the Hot Line today to get the details if available. Surprised this is so difficult, but Ford's been really slow to give out information on this.
Old 3/1/11, 03:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FAST FRED
Ask them, if you can, for all the info they needed to do this. What program (is there a Ford part number), who did they call to get it, do they have it ready to go? and so on. This way I can be armed with info for my dealer, thanks.
Old 3/1/11, 04:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Ask them, if you can, for all the info they needed to do this. What program (is there a Ford part number), who did they call to get it, do they have it ready to go? and so on. This way I can be armed with info for my dealer, thanks.
great idea!
Old 3/1/11, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
My dealer's working on it. I'll post up once they get some clarification from Ford. They're pretty tenacious (because they know I'll bug em til I get an answer ) so we should hear something soon.
Old 3/1/11, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
My dealer's working on it. I'll post up once they get some clarification from Ford. They're pretty tenacious (because they know I'll bug em til I get an answer ) so we should hear something soon.
any answers yet?

Quick Reply: Getting the track key