Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Gauge's Install

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/11, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge's Install

I just bought and received my LS guage pod and finally decided on the gauges I want to go with. While I wait for those to arrive I started thinking about what adapter plate I need to install the Oil Temp and pressure guages. Does the Boss already have a place to plug the sensors into? The other gauge I went with is Water Temp. Not sure if I want to unplug the factory gauge or use an adapter for one of the coolant lines. I think I have one in the garage already.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 11/22/11, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Been there, done that. You can get oil temp and pressure by T'ing where your OEM pressure sensor is today. Driver's side just to the rear of oil filter assembly. The only thing for oil temp is that this is oil AFTER the cooler where typically an oil temp gauge tracks oil temps BEFORE the cooler.

For water temps, the OEM boss does not have a sensor or port for one. Water temp is derived from cylinder head temps (CHT). Just aft of where you will install the oil sensors, you will see a plug on the side of the block for an optional block heater, You can remove this plug, get a brass reducer from Home Depot, and then your gauge kit should have the reducers from there.

I hope you considered or even selected the Auto Meter Elite gauges. They are cool in that you have a programmable low and high reading. When one of these limits is reached, the gauge can change to a unique color to alert you that something is amiss. I put these gauges in my LS in place of the OEM gauges and LOVE them! Get our Sound Pipe Delete kit and you can chuck you fugly sound pipe AND you will get a nice grommet in the kit to easily pass your gauge wires into the engine compartment.

Post some pics of the gauges when you are done!!

Last edited by nota4re; 11/22/11 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11/22/11, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
Been there, done that. You can get oil temp and pressure by T'ing where your OEM pressure sensor is today. Driver's side just to the rear of oil filter assembly. The only thing for oil temp is that this is oil AFTER the cooler where typically an oil temp gauge tracks oil temps BEFORE the cooler.
I want to do oil and water temp myself. Any plans to have an easy hook-up with the oil cooler you are working on?

I would like to do a pillar gauge setup since I find looking at the spot where the LS gauges are take too much time.
Old 11/22/11, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Any plans to have an easy hook-up with the oil cooler you are working on?
Yes, at the thermostat/ remote filter location, there is an empty 1/8NPT port for a temp sensor. That's where my sensor is currently connected.
Old 11/22/11, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Kendall. I almost went with the Elite gauges but decided on the Auto Meter Ford Racing gauges.

Unfortunately, I live in Italy so no Home Depot I can run to for the adapter. There is something similar near by and I'll have to check them out. If not I'm going to look into a sandwich plate for the oil filter. I'm glad you mentioned the block heater plug. Wouldnt have thought to use that.
Old 11/23/11, 09:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
Thanks Kendall. I almost went with the Elite gauges but decided on the Auto Meter Ford Racing gauges.

Unfortunately, I live in Italy so no Home Depot I can run to for the adapter. There is something similar near by and I'll have to check them out. If not I'm going to look into a sandwich plate for the oil filter. I'm glad you mentioned the block heater plug. Wouldnt have thought to use that.
Eddie, if you have trouble finding what you need there and have a FPO/APO let me know, I can pick one up here and send it to you.
Old 11/23/11, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re

For water temps, the OEM boss does not have a sensor or port for one. Water temp is derived from cylinder head temps (CHT). Just aft of where you will install the oil sensors, you will see a plug on the side of the block for an optional block heater, You can remove this plug, get a brass reducer from Home Depot, and then your gauge kit should have the reducers from there.

I hope you considered or even selected the Auto Meter Elite gauges. They are cool in that you have a programmable low and high reading. When one of these limits is reached, the gauge can change to a unique color to alert you that something is amiss. I put these gauges in my LS in place of the OEM gauges and LOVE them! Get our Sound Pipe Delete kit and you can chuck you fugly sound pipe AND you will get a nice grommet in the kit to easily pass your gauge wires into the engine compartment.

Post some pics of the gauges when you are done!!
Just ordered the gauge pod for the dash....I like the look of the gauges on the dash. How much for the sound pipe delete?
Any pictures of your gauge pod with the new gauges and where you ran you new lines to. Also were the new Auto Meter Elite gauges a direct fit in the gauge pod.
Old 11/23/11, 11:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
How much for the sound pipe delete?
CHEAP

At this price-point, I think he's trying to go for a charitable deduction on his schedule C.
Old 11/23/11, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Eddie, if you have trouble finding what you need there and have a FPO/APO let me know, I can pick one up here and send it to you.

Scott,

Much appreciated. I do have an FPO address. I'll make an attempt on this end since I'd hate to take up your time. I need to figure the fitting size I need first. Right now I think I'm going to go with an oil filter sandwhich plate so that shouldnt be an issue. I need the engine block plug size for the water temo though. Unless I decide to cut the coolant line and use the hose adapter I have somewhere in the garage.
Old 11/23/11, 01:13 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd hate to take up your time..
I'm retired

Let me know
Old 11/23/11, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Originally Posted by servitium
CHEAP

At this price-point, I think he's trying to go for a charitable deduction on his schedule C.
Wow only $12.00 Thanks......Done / Purchased
This is most likely the cheapest mod item I ever purchased.....
Old 11/23/11, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I'm retired

Let me know
I cant wait until I can say that.
Old 11/25/11, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

SAW GAUGE POD FOR $84.99 AT AMERICAN MUSCEL. ALL OTHER PLACES WANTED $90 TO 110 FOR THE SAME UNIT.
http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...=mustangtuning
If you sign up for e-mails before you order you will save 10.00. It's a one shot deal.
To show our appreciation for you as a Mustang enthusiast, we've included a coupon for $10 off any purchase over $100, excluding gift certificates and WeatherTech products.

Last edited by boss man; 11/25/11 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11/26/11, 02:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay so I found a sandwhich plate for the oil sensors. My question is that it comes with the fittings for an oil cooler. Anyone know if there would be an issue with running an oil cooler off of that in addition to the factory oil cooler?
Old 11/26/11, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boss man
Wow only $12.00 Thanks......Done / Purchased
This is most likely the cheapest mod item I ever purchased.....
OFF-TOPIC: I love the Boss 302 in the hood stripe on your car. How much was that and is the hood stripe flat-black now??

BACK ON-TOPIC:
Old 11/26/11, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I cant wait until I can say that.
Me tooooooooo, so jealous!
Old 12/9/11, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are a few pics of my install. Havent had a chance to finish yet but hopefully this weekend.

Prep-

I'm scared at this point-

Labelling the wires. The gauges come with a sticker but I didnt want to mess them up while routingso I'll swap them towards the end.

I used my angle grinder to cut the little hole out for the wires...... I kid.

The hole in the mount is more than big enough. Just need about half that size.

One moretest fit before cutting into the dash.

The gauge pod needed some trimming to sit flat on the dash

Measure twice, cut once.

I dont have an angled drill so I did what I could with the utility knife. Once I got to the plastic underneath I had to go with the drill.

Routing. The preassure gauge was the only pain in the *** because of the size of the sensor connector. The rest were easy to feed top to bottom.

Labels help.

The screws are easy to puncture into the dash. The hard part is going into the plastic. I went to the hardware store and grabbed some self tapping screws which I havent had a chance to try yet.

Routing

Hole in the firewall where the sound tube comes in. I ordered Kendalls, CoolTech, kit for the plugs

There is a perfect bolt for a ground right under the radio mount

More to follow once I get it wrapped up.
Old 12/9/11, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

I love this picture:

I just finished wiring the gauges up in the pod and plan to mount on the dash this week end. My Ford racing gauges did not have connections like yours with plugs. I had to use stakons and crimp them onto the wire. I also noticed that you did not use the templet for mounting...Why?
What did the back of your gauges look like?
Are you going to Tee into the OEM oil sending unit? Keep us posted
Old 12/9/11, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

The pod didnt come with a template. Did I get shafted?

as of right now I plan to tee off the OEm unit like Kendall recommended. I'll probably go with the oil cooler upgrade eventually so I'll run it off that when I do that.
Old 12/9/11, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice write up Eddie, thanks

Quick Reply: Gauge's Install