Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Ford Response to Trackey Inquiry Re: Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/13, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Response to Trackey Inquiry Re: Warranty

I sent a note to Ford asking about how the installation impacts the factory warranty and received the following response (see below). This wasn't my understanding but I'd be happy to be wrong.

What's your understanding of this?

"Hello,

This is Dan, also from Ford's Customer Relationship Center. I will be answering your email inquiring about the installation of the Trackey on your 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 that Dia has previously handled.

I would like to congratulate you for your new Ford vehicle purchase.

As previously said, your inquiry has been escalated to the appropriate department. Upon doing so, I was able to confirm that The Trackey is an aftermarket add-on. However, the factory 5 years/60,000 miles Powertrain Warranty will not be affected by the installation of it. The Trackey itself comes with a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty to cover the additional key and programming.

It has been a pleasure assisting you with this matter.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Dan
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company"

Last edited by SBYBoss; 3/17/13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 3/17/13, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

interesting topic...
If track key came with the car from the factory already installed and programmed I don't think there would be so much confusion on anyone topic for sure. subscribed!
Old 3/17/13, 08:18 PM
GT Member

I do not believe you can order a boss with the track key installed from the factory. Some dealers have installed the TK after purchase before delivery to the customer at there request. But the TK is always a dealer install. Its interesting that he called the TK aftermarket.
Old 3/17/13, 08:22 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd print and frame that letter.
Bring it to your local dealer to make sure they understand
and then have the local dealer explain back to you..

About a year ago, I decided NOT to get TK because the dealer told me my Ford CPO warranty will not be honored if I got TK. That might be old news now.

Ask the dealer or Ford this specific question:
"IF the motor breaks at 40k miles when TK was being used, will the Boss motor be replaced?"
.....and get that in writing and watch the small print"
Old 3/17/13, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SBYBoss
The Trackey itself comes with a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty to cover the additional key and programming.
What "additional" key is he talking about?
Old 3/17/13, 08:54 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,635 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Two keys come with the car a grey and red key. Both keys operate the car. The red key can then be programmed to make the car react differently. Hence the TK program. But you Shelby guys wouldn't understand...we don't need no stinking second key!!!
Old 3/17/13, 09:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Are you in Lala-land?
Old 3/17/13, 09:10 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think hes being a smartass and you guys are playing into it like normal
Old 3/17/13, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak

Two keys come with the car a grey and red key. Both keys operate the car. The red key can then be programmed to make the car react differently. Hence the TK program. But you Shelby guys wouldn't understand...we don't need no stinking second key!!!
Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
Are you in Lala-land?
All mustangs come with 2 keys.
Old 3/17/13, 09:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and we have a w....
Old 3/18/13, 05:49 AM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by SBYBoss
I sent a note to Ford asking about how the installation impacts the factory warranty and received the following response (see below). This wasn't my understanding but I'd be happy to be wrong.

What's your understanding of this?

"Hello,

This is Dan, also from Ford's Customer Relationship Center. I will be answering your email inquiring about the installation of the Trackey on your 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 that Dia has previously handled.

I would like to congratulate you for your new Ford vehicle purchase.

As previously said, your inquiry has been escalated to the appropriate department. Upon doing so, I was able to confirm that The Trackey is an aftermarket add-on. However, the factory 5 years/60,000 miles Powertrain Warranty will not be affected by the installation of it. The Trackey itself comes with a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty to cover the additional key and programming.

It has been a pleasure assisting you with this matter.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Dan
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company"
Like someone else said, keep the letter.

My understanding was Track Key simply transfers the first 3/36 of your 5/60 from Ford Motor Company to Ford Racing, for any problems that may be TK related. You'd only run into an issue if the problem occurred BETWEEN 3/36 and 5/60 AND it was TK related. What the letter says is even better.

IMO, anyone who won't install Track Key because of warranty fears is being overly conservative. The red key comes with the car, along with the plastic TK card. The car is SUPPOSED to have Track Key, Ford intended it that way. The only valid reason not to install TK is because you plan on doing other mods and want an aftermarket tune.
Old 3/18/13, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JPC
I'd print and frame that letter.
Bring it to your local dealer to make sure they understand
and then have the local dealer explain back to you..

About a year ago, I decided NOT to get TK because the dealer told me my Ford CPO warranty will not be honored if I got TK. That might be old news now.

Ask the dealer or Ford this specific question:
"IF the motor breaks at 40k miles when TK was being used, will the Boss motor be replaced?"
.....and get that in writing and watch the small print"
See Deysha's response at 9:45 in this thread:

https://themustangsource.com/f813/tr...501292/index6/

i.e.

Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha
Old 3/18/13, 02:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bigbossman
See Deysha's response at 9:45 in this thread:

https://themustangsource.com/f813/tr...501292/index6/

i.e.

Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha
Okay, that sounds pretty consistent with what Dan stated in his note but stated a little differently.

So as I interpret it there's no way the 5/60 powertrain warranty would be reduced (which was not my original understanding). I wonder what repair the Trackey could require? Reprogramming? It seems that at the worst the Trackey programming could just be removed.

Am I missing something?
Old 3/18/13, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Your interpretation is incorrect, if the problem is caused by the TracKey that is only covered for 3yr/36k mi. All else is the 5/60. Btw, the 3yr/36k starts from when you took delivery of your car not when you installed the TracKey software.
Old 3/18/13, 02:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
Your interpretation is incorrect, if the problem is caused by the TracKey that is only covered for 3yr/36k mi. All else is the 5/60. Btw, the 3yr/36k starts from when you took delivery of your car not when you installed the TracKey software.
I guess what I'm unclear about is - what sort of problem could be caused by the Trackey?

Last edited by SBYBoss; 3/18/13 at 02:51 PM.
Old 3/18/13, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

The question is what sort of problem can the dealer claim was caused by the TracKey?
Old 3/18/13, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Yea, what if I set my launch control up to hook up at five grand and fry my clutch. Will that be covered under my warrantee ?
Old 3/18/13, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
The question is what sort of problem can the dealer claim was caused by the TracKey?
Yes, that's the question.