Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/11, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek

Cool Tech LLC is very excited to pre-view the availability of a bolt-it roll bar kit designed specifically for the 2012-2013 Boss 302 Mustang Laguna Seca models. Please note that this bar can also be used in 2011-2013 Mustang GT (Coupe) and Boss 302 models in conjunction with a readily available (approximate $100) rear seat delete kit. Cool Tech invested many hours of R&D in developing a kit that was “worthy” of these extremely capable, track-ready cars. We sought to create a kit that an owner could self install and that enhanced both the safety AND the performance capability of the car. We also wanted to minimize any cutting, drilling, or modifications to the car enabling an owner to have the option to remove the bar and return to a fully OEM configuration should they ever decide to do this. Of course, the bar had to also respect the pragmatic and ergonomic capabilities of the OEM car – respecting seat travel, recline, and safety belt access and function. With all of these as design constraints, ultimately creating a solution that could meet our expectation was no easy undertaking. However, we are very proud to say that we have been successful and we will now offer a very good solution for your consideration.
Construction:
Our roll bar kit is constructed using the same tubing specifications as required by the SCCA for road racing classes. Namely, 1.75 inch x 0.120" wall DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) tubing throughout. (Note: SCCA requires full roll cages in all road racing classes.)
Unlike many other roll bars which employ a MIG welding process, the Cool Tech bar is entirely TIG-welded.
The Advantages of TIG Welding:
· TIG is Clean: TIG welding doesn't create as much spatter and sparks as MIG thus creating a better, cleaner finished product..
· Autogenous TIG Welds: TIG welding can create autogenous welds - those that do not involve any filler material. The weld is created when the part melts together. By controlling the filler material and the amount of filler, the welder has better control to create superior welds. Note: TIG is used almost exclusively in the aerospace community because of these attributes.
· TIG is Precise: TIG welding offers more precision when it comes to thin materials. It produces welds without contamination.
Let’s get to some *preliminary* pics of the work in progress:
Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-gusset_right.jpg
Here is a picture of the roll bar base just inside the driver’s door. In this picture, you can see the bottom of the main hoop has been welded to a piece of 90-degree metal which in turn is bolted to a gusset (3 Grade-8 gold-colored bolts shown). In this sneak-peak, the roll bar has yet to be finish welded to the base plate. (Note that the square bar shown is a temporary piece and is not part of the finished product.) The intent of this picture is to show the large gusseted structure that the roll bar is bolted to. This large fabricated gusset replaces a comparatively smaller, thinner, stamped OEM piece that is removed (un-bolted) as part of the installation. These heavily reinforced gussets (one per side) are part of the Cool Tech kit. Notice that the gusset bolts into place – literally re-using the bolts and OEM attachment points of the original plate. All of the Cool Tech components shown here will come fully powder-coated and will bolt in with no cutting or drilling required. These engineered bases for the main hoop provide an incredibly strong and reinforced mount for the main hoop. The gusseted piece is essentially identical on the other side of the car. Once again, there is no cutting, drilling, or welding – yet an incredibly strong structural tie-in.
Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-mainhoop.jpg
This is a picture of the main hoop and harness bar in the car during fabrication. (Note that the harness bar has a seam in the middle as this is simply the template-bar and production pieces will have no seam.) Notice that the main bar uses two bends in order to maintain a consistent spacing with the roofline. This was one of the design requirements for us. Also notice that the seat-belt extender has a good fit out and around the bar and that the bar may aid in the access of the belt and it does not hinder the usability of the OEM belts – another design requirement. Finally, in this picture, notice the rearward curvature of the harness bar. As a tall (6’ 2”) driver myself, the roll bar accommodates the seats in their most rearward position AND with a relatively substantial recline (if desired). Compare these design features with other bars that may be available.
Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-mainhooproofprofile.jpg
This picture may provide a better perspective of the roofline conformance as well as the placement of the bar in relation to OEM seat belt access and usage.
Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-strutbraceright_close.jpg
Cool Tech has opted for a roll bar design that, in addition to safety and strength, the installation all directly aims at providing a stiffer chassis for better car performance. This is a picture of the passenger side rear shock tower which has been significantly reinforced with the gusseted bracket included with our kit. Note that a cross bar has been welded (only tacked in this work-in-progress pic) to the gusset. The Cool Tech Roll Bar will incorporate a rear shock tower brace that reinforces the structural integrity and stiffness of the rear suspension – but simultaneously provides a rear mounting platform for the diagonal braces from the main bar. The vertical plate of this gusset is 3/16” steel and bolts into a backing plate on the opposite side. This is an incredibly strong structure – reinforcing the roll bar integrity and also stiffening the suspension components by tying everything together into rigid structure. (Note that Cool Tech will offer the shock tower brace seperately for those that want to have the stiffening benefits but who do not want to install a roll bar.)
Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-rearstruttower_right.jpg
Finally, here is the diagonal coming down from the main hoop and intersecting the strut tower brace. Notice the precise fish-mouthed fitment of the tubing – all a pre-requisite for the TIG-only welding through-out the entire kit. The angle of this rear main hoop support brace has been chosen to eliminate any cutting on the rear deck plate (see blue tape). Additionally, such placement will require a relatively simple notching of the interior trim piece – another consideration during the design. The Grade-8 bolts in the 3/16” plate represent the only holes that will need to be drilled in the car for the installation of our kit. To make this even easier, these bolts have been placed over un-used holes in the OEM shock tower gusset. This makes locating and drilling of the holes very easy.
We still have some other features to show... give us a couple of days. The first (sold) batch of 5 roll bars will be completed next week and off to get powder-coating. All of these initial buyers opted for the race red for the interior of LS models but we can also do other colors. We should have final pricing as well as some additional pictures by mid to end of next week.

Last edited by nota4re; 12/10/11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12/10/11, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

That looks so legit. You should have powder coated it though.
Old 12/10/11, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ignore my first post. I read where they will come powder coated.
Old 12/10/11, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
That looks like a very well built roll bar.
1+
Old 12/10/11, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soooo glad to get in on the first run batch! Thanks Kendall! A QUALITY product as always!
Don
Old 12/10/11, 10:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Wow, that looks like a quality piece of work if there ever was one. No roll bar for me as I have kids that like to ride back there but I'm interested in the rear shock tower brace.

When you finish with this project you should consider making a 1" front splitter lowering kit made out of the same OEM plastic as the front valance and splitter.
Old 12/10/11, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

I like the kit. Good work.
Old 12/10/11, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks great! Waiting on price now.....
Old 12/10/11, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like a quality piece! Now the bad news, what's it going to cost?
Old 12/10/11, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Hey kendal,

Very nice I'm very interested! Will I need another bar for the harnesses or do they clip to it? I planned on a harness bar next year but from what I'm reading a full roll bat is the way to go.
Old 12/10/11, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Kendall, will there be a diaganol brace/bar in the main hoop? Or is it not really required?
Old 12/10/11, 12:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kendall, what are you using to attach the belts. I was sent eyebolts but they were not the correct threads, the factory thread is 10x1.5. I want to avoid drilling new holes for the harnesses connections if possible and have all the belts attached at the same points. Let me know how you are doing this, thanks.
Old 12/10/11, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I am really impressed with the rollbar setup. The rear seat delete kit for the 2011 -2013 Mustang GT really excites me. I would hope a rear seat delete and rollbar will be available for the 2005 - 2009 Mustang GT. I would be more apt to put a rollbar in a used GT from 2005 to 2009.
Old 12/10/11, 01:05 PM
GT Member

Cool tech- That is a great set up and design it looks like installation will be quick. I fyou are lookin for a new products to build and I would like to suggest two, The shocks in the reat are a pia to adjust. I remember I had old set of Koni,s that had a large **** that fit in the slot in the top you just put it in a counted the clicks. The second would be a jacking plate kit like the old Porcshe,s with all the lines under the car this would prevent crushing problems. Just a couple of items I would like to see.
Old 12/10/11, 02:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
If you are lookin for a new products to build and I would like to suggest two, The shocks in the reat are a pia to adjust. I remember I had old set of Koni,s that had a large **** that fit in the slot in the top you just put it in a counted the clicks. The second would be a jacking plate kit like the old Porcshe,s with all the lines under the car this would prevent crushing problems. Just a couple of items I would like to see.
Both of these are terrific ideas.
Old 12/10/11, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great. I'd be concerned about shearing that rear crossbar from the shockmounts in the event of an actual rollover, however. Typically you see the downbars going directly to the boxes you have around the rear shocks. I understand that you likely designed this way to conform to the stock trunk pass-through opening.

Some very nice craftsmanship going into this kit, though!
Old 12/10/11, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Both of these are terrific ideas.
Agreed.
Old 12/10/11, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 12/10/11, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Kendall is going to be the main reason for my divorce. Not facebook like all those other normal couples.
Old 12/10/11, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

^

Quick Reply: Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek