Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Clutch on the Floor?

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/12, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch on the Floor?

Today I had my first chance to really open the car up. I was at a local airport they let locals race on. I was on my fourth strait pass up 120 and all of the sudden I could not go into 5th gear and the clutch was on the floor. This made me very upset since the car only has 560 miles on it.

Is this normal?
Should I bring it in for inspection by my dealer?
How often does this happen?

Thanks for any help!
Dylan,
Old 4/22/12, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by c6dreamvette
Today I had my first chance to really open the car up. I was at a local airport they let locals race on. I was on my fourth strait pass up 120 and all of the sudden I could not go into 5th gear and the clutch was on the floor. This made me very upset since the car only has 560 miles on it.

Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!
Dylan,
Not owning a boss I could not see how that could be "normal" in any sense of the word.. We can assume everything is ok at the moment and the clutch feels normal now? Usually when a clutch ends up on the floor it where it will stay until repairs are made.. at least in my past experience anyway.. Looking forward to other reply's on this. My first thought was the factory shifter because you stated you could not go into 5th gear...but that should not have anything to do with the clutch dropping out. Subscribed!
Old 4/22/12, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by osso12
Not owning a boss I could not see how that could be "normal" in any sense of the word.. We can assume everything is ok at the moment and the clutch feels normal now? Usually when a clutch ends up on the floor it where it will stay until repairs are made.. at least in my past experience anyway.. Looking forward to other reply's on this. My first thought was the factory shifter because you stated you could not go into 5th gear...but that should not have anything to do with the clutch dropping out. Subscribed!
Yes, it seems to be fine now but I have not got back on it real hard. I had to kick the clutch for it to come back up when it happen.
Old 4/22/12, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

Sounds like a clutch master/slave cylinder problem.. Not normal, but of course if it is working fine now most likely a "cannot replicate" problem.. In my experience, they usually get worse. Just be careful, as sometimes when they are going bad they will "bleed" off when you have it in gear (and clutch will engage). I always put tranny in neutral at a stop sign/signal so that you don't risk running into someone.

Last edited by Jryan3; 4/22/12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 4/22/12, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jryan3
Sounds like a clutch master/slave cylinder problem.. Not normal
^ This. The only other thought I had was maybe your floor mat slid up and upon pressing the pedal down, it was forced under the mat and then held. Seriously though, that's almost 100% unlikely due to the weight of the clutch vs mat. You'd pretty much have to force that issue.

Surprising, is the fact you're still able to drive the car. It's almost as if air got into the system. Definitely have it inspected.
Old 4/22/12, 04:48 PM
GT Member

Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!
Dylan,
Definetly not normal.........could be a saftey issue so I'd see the dealer quick. On the other hand I wouldnt tell them you were at a race type event since it was your 4th pass.
BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least
100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle
maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/
competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Old 4/22/12, 04:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
Definetly not normal.........could be a saftey issue so I'd see the dealer quick. On the other hand I wouldnt tell them you were at a race type event since it was your 4th pass.
BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least
100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle
maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/
competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
I have read about a bunch of 11 and 12 GT's having this issue and the fix was a GT 500 clutch assembly. Do we have the same trans\clutch as a GT?
Old 4/22/12, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

We have the same trans, but a different clutch. There was some one on another forum that had a similar problem and what he did was change out one of the clutch lines.
Old 4/22/12, 06:22 PM
GT Member

I have read about a bunch of 11 and 12 GT's having this issue and the fix was a GT 500 clutch assembly. Do we have the same trans\clutch as a GT?

Well its totally broke now. Went for a drive to see if it would stick to the floor again. First was fine........as soon as I hit second POP a loud noise and now second and fifth do not work.
This is my first Mustang..........I have had Vettes and BMW's for performance cars with no issues like this.
I still love the car but I am very dissapointed right now!

Last edited by c6dreamvette; 4/23/12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 4/22/12, 07:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dylan
Several Boss owners like myself have had this problem. It is a carry over problem from earlier Mustang GT's and the fix was suppose to be a different or added clutch pedal return spring. We have this updated pedal.

I reported this to my dealer's service dept and they contacted Ford engineering. Engineering told them to replace the pressure plate and with that also the clutch disc. At the same time I added a high flow clutch line. So far the problem had not returned but I can not say it is fixed for certain since the problem is intermittent. I have put several new track days on the car and it feels better after the fix and new line.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem now and your dealer should be able to help you out. For others with the problem Ford will fix it, they did mine. If you have a hard to work with dealer (I do not) then contact Daysha here on the forum and watch the magic happen

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/22/12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 12:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Dylan
Several Boss owners like myself have had this problem. It is a carry over problem from earlier Mustang GT's and the fix was suppose to be a different or added clutch pedal return spring. We have this updated pedal.

I reported this to my dealer's service dept and they contacted Ford engineering. Engineering told them to replace the pressure plate and with that also the clutch disc. At the same time I added a high flow clutch line. So far the problem had not returned but I can not say it is fixed for certain since the problem is intermittent. I have put several new track days on the car and it feels better after the fix and new line.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem now and your dealer should be able to help you out. For others with the problem Ford will fix it, they did mine. If you
have a hard to work with dealer (I do not) then contact Daysha here on the forum and watch the magic happen

We'll I left it with the dealer at 7am, they just called and said they will push for a new trans pressure plate and clutch. Waiting on Fords response now.
Old 4/23/12, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

We'll I left it with the dealer at 7am, they just called and said they will push for a new trans pressure plate and clutch. Waiting on Fords response now.
Good luck man.
Old 4/23/12, 12:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

These shifting/clutch/trans issues just keep popping up. I had it happen last summer and it was a failed clutch. In my case the pedal stayed down and it wouldn't disengage. I was locked out of going into any gear. Once stopped with the car turned off I could shift the trans into first. I restarted the car and it surged forward even though the clutch was fully depressed so obviously the clutch wasn't disengaging. Once I got it to the dealer, we found a spring had been ripped from the clutch plate and lodged in between the pressure plate preventing it from releasing. My car currently shifts just fine even on the track, but there seem to be an unusually high number of incidents like yours. Hopefully they've found a fix and made a running change to the design.
Attached Thumbnails Clutch on the Floor?-022.jpg   Clutch on the Floor?-023.jpg   Clutch on the Floor?-027.jpg  
Old 4/23/12, 01:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I can certainly understand your disappointment. I keep thanking my lucky stars that I haven't had any issues so for but with more and more reported issues I'm beginning to think I'm on borrowed time.
Old 4/23/12, 01:17 PM

You have the same trans as a GT, but not the same as a GT500. Yours is a Getrag MT-82 and the GT500 gets a Tremec T-6060. They're very different, the Tremec being much stronger, but heavier.

You'll most likely get those parts, considering the car is so new and your "racing" isn't what caused the failure anyway. Obviously, yours went further than the slave cylinder if it broke the transmission(and it seems that happened). There are always possibilities things will break at any time. The good thing is, yours broke under warranty.
Old 4/23/12, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Ford said to tear into the Trans.........they want to know if it was a defect. The dealership has never opened one of these trans so they are waiting on special tools.
The tech working on the car said he really thinks it needs a whole new trans but he has to have Ford's go ahead.
Old 4/23/12, 02:27 PM

Hey Dylan,
Which dealer are you working with?
I hope they handle it for you.
LL

Last edited by landlocked; 4/23/12 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 4/23/12, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
These shifting/clutch/trans issues just keep popping up. I had it happen last summer and it was a failed clutch. In my case the pedal stayed down and it wouldn't disengage. I was locked out of going into any gear. Once stopped with the car turned off I could shift the trans into first. I restarted the car and it surged forward even though the clutch was fully depressed so obviously the clutch wasn't disengaging. Once I got it to the dealer, we found a spring had been ripped from the clutch plate and lodged in between the pressure plate preventing it from releasing. My car currently shifts just fine even on the track, but there seem to be an unusually high number of incidents like yours. Hopefully they've found a fix and made a running change to the design.
Also looks very dangerous. Do they make a scatter shield for these cars?
Old 4/23/12, 06:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by landlocked
Hey Dylan,
Which dealer are you working with?
I hope they handle it for you.
LL
SouthWest Ford in Weatherford.
Old 4/23/12, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

"Clutch on the Floor"

Hmm, Is that like "Pants on the Ground"?

Kidding aside, I know you must be disappointed, but as I've always told people, if there is defective part from the factory, you're likely going to find it within the first 30-days or so.

One puzzling thing though, I'm not sure how a transmission issue would be related to the clutch staying on the floor.. The clutch pedal staying on the floor would only happen if something messed up within the clutch/pressure plate assembly (as pictured in posts above), but the transmission itself ..

Last edited by kn7671; 4/23/12 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch on the Floor?