Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/13, 12:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
You're wife sounds so cool. lol I'm still trying to get mine to get the hang of driving a manual.
Yeah, I like her. Her only problem is she's a Mopar girl. Despite that she loves the Boss and drives it any time she can.
Old 11/5/13, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

+1 for driving the car instead of coddling it like your favorite child. Also coming from the guy who, by all means may be right, puts half a quart less oil into the car then what is required/requested.
Old 11/6/13, 10:54 AM
GT Member

Didn't say to coddle it. Just presented the option of "hey, why not save $10k by getting a GT if you want to treat the car like crap?". Good word twisting though. Nicely done, sir.
Old 11/6/13, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mattlqx
Didn't say to coddle it. Just presented the option of "hey, why not save $10k by getting a GT if you want to treat the car like crap?". Good word twisting though. Nicely done, sir.
Though I am sure this isn't a tangent OP had expected, how is driving the car in the snow worse then tracking your car and beating the **** out of it. And don't say because salt is bad for your car, because it can be rinsed off.
Old 11/6/13, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I would much rather drive on the track or beat the **** out of it on track than subject it to snow, salt, and all the morons out there with there suv's that think they are invincible. And no I am not saying that everyone with an SUV is a moron.
Old 11/6/13, 01:24 PM

> Do you like it as a daily driver

Stock, yes. I get annoyed with the constant 18-19 per gallon in traffic, but thems the breaks. Suspension can be a bit harsh to have as your primary car.
Wait, you're averaging 18-19 MPG ?! Or is it just highway mileage?
Old 11/6/13, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ yeah i was getting 14 for daily driving.
Old 11/6/13, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going to DD it in the snow, why not just go for a GT and slap a Boss intake on it? I just think there are better DD options than adding winter wear to a limited edition car.
A mustang with a sticker just a mustang with a sticker. I want the boss for the set-up and the forged internals. I figure a mustang with forged internals being used as a daily driver/1 or 2 time a year track car will last much longer than a GT with some mods cobbled on it being used for the same purpose. Also, I'm not a fan of needing to change a bunch of junk on a brand new car if I can buy exactly what Ive wanted in a mustang for years. I have always wanted a high HP N/A motor mustang with a 5.0. I refused to acknowledge any mustang with a 4.6. No one wants a mustang with a 4.6 badge, people want the 5.0.

Lastly, I already have a shiny mustang that sits in the garage, that one will not be driven in the winter, this one can handle it. Besides, ill probably just get a 2,000 pick up on craigslist just for the really bad days.
Old 11/6/13, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Agree with most comments. However, the P-Zeros are NOT good in cold temps, even when dry. They advise against using below 40 degrees. I find based on slipping while accelerating, that I wouldn't want to try an emergency stop in cold temps.

I am 6-0 and find I have a lot of room and the Recaros are phenomenal. Best long distance car I've ever owned of any style.

For whatever reason, it's the ricers that want to race me - perhaps to see if their coffee cans out shout our quads?

The Boss is so much more than a forged engine - it drives like no other Mustang. The sure-footedness and complete lack of body roll in a stock car exceeded my high expectations. Some reviewers opined that if this level of control could be achieved with a solid axel, who needs IRS. The car can handle the power - except with stock tires in cold weather.
Old 11/9/13, 10:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mu5tang_GT
Wait, you're averaging 18-19 MPG ?! Or is it just highway mileage?
Mix driving, probably 50/50. https://www.fuelly.com/driver/mattlqx/mustang

There's nearly always somebody in front of you in the Bay Area. So giving it the beans at every light isn't usually an option.
Old 11/9/13, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes70mustang
A mustang with a sticker just a mustang with a sticker. I want the boss for the set-up and the forged internals. I figure a mustang with forged internals being used as a daily driver/1 or 2 time a year track car will last much longer than a GT with some mods cobbled on it being used for the same purpose. Also, I'm not a fan of needing to change a bunch of junk on a brand new car if I can buy exactly what Ive wanted in a mustang for years.
To be fair, it's never enough and once you get it in your garage, you'll be mysteriously drawn to online parts shops just like any other car.
Old 11/9/13, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

A mustang with a sticker just a mustang with a sticker. I want the boss for the set-up and the forged internals. I figure a mustang with forged internals being used as a daily driver/1 or 2 time a year track car will last much longer than a GT with some mods cobbled on it being used for the same purpose. Also, I'm not a fan of needing to change a bunch of junk on a brand new car if I can buy exactly what Ive wanted in a mustang for years. I have always wanted a high HP N/A motor mustang with a 5.0. I refused to acknowledge any mustang with a 4.6. No one wants a mustang with a 4.6 badge, people want the 5.0.

Lastly, I already have a shiny mustang that sits in the garage, that one will not be driven in the winter, this one can handle it. Besides, ill probably just get a 2,000 pick up on craigslist just for the really bad days.
Another option, though it may not be what you want, is to wait for the 2015. It would be interesting to see if they try to bring back the SVO, and those ecoboost motors are ridiculous.
Old 11/14/13, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Senderofan
What tires were you running. I sure hope they weren't P Zero's. I think the combo of ultra high performance summer tires and low ground clearance make the Boss a less than ideal DD in winter conditions. Can a person do it with snow tires or really good quality all seasons.....sure. I was at MMP a month ago doing a two day course. The second day they had snow in the hills and it was 38 degrees. The BFG Comp II's did not inspire confidence on dry pavement in those kinds of temps. I would not want to risk my vehicle if I had other options. But take what I have to say with a grain of salt......we get a whole lot more snow and ice up here......most I've had to go through is 30+ inches.
Actually... they were the stockers.
Obviously it's not crazy capable but it is doable. You just have to know your limits. Up hills from stopped is the scariest part I think... You just pray you don't start sliding back!

I don't think "driving a car through snow" is interchangeable with "treat the car like crap."
Snow is a part, gravel is a part, dirt, debris, rain, ice, squirrels, small dinosaurs are all a part of driving.
When it comes down to EXTREMELY basic terms, the great, the grand, the magnificent Boss 302 is, yes, still a car that can still drive in imperfect weather.

Like any RWD vehicle, it has drawbacks in the snow. Obviously!

Drive it. If "the dumb SUV driver" hits you, get it fixed. If you drive through salt, wash it off. Treat your $40k+ material property like you'd treat any $1+ material property, well.

Last edited by Krohn; 11/14/13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11/20/13, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

my 2012 is for sale......just saying..

It is a GREAT DD, very fun!
Old 11/24/13, 11:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Another option, though it may not be what you want, is to wait for the 2015. It would be interesting to see if they try to bring back the SVO, and those ecoboost motors are ridiculous.

The reason I want the current boss is because it is one of the baddest N/A mustangs ever built. I will not be driving a turbo stang and if I wanted a SC stang I would get a GT500. I know the ecoboost are supposed to be all the rage but I'm still very skeptical of forced induction engines. Anything with more than 4 lbs of boost tend to go boom a lot sooner than N/A engines.
Old 11/25/13, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Is it comfortable for a semi-tall person to drive(I'm 6'2")
Not a boss but a '14 w/ recarros. 6'4". Yes, plenty comfortable. The only gripe for me is the *proper* driving position puts my right knee very close to the key and so sometimes i bump it. When in the 'run' position the corner of the integral key fob is just in the right angle to hit my knee. but your driving position may differ as well as your arm/leg/torso lengths.

I got a non key fob type key and an earlier style non-integral remote. I couldn't get the remote to program. however the older style "normal" key give me an excellent extra 1/2" or so... I just don't use it since the fob doesn't work. Its now a spare I plan to program as a "mykey" for valet type of functions.

wish the car had a telescoping steering column...
Old 11/30/13, 10:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by y5e06
Not a boss but a '14 w/ recarros. 6'4". Yes, plenty comfortable. The only gripe for me is the *proper* driving position puts my right knee very close to the key and so sometimes i bump it. When in the 'run' position the corner of the integral key fob is just in the right angle to hit my knee. but your driving position may differ as well as your arm/leg/torso lengths.

I got a non key fob type key and an earlier style non-integral remote. I couldn't get the remote to program. however the older style "normal" key give me an excellent extra 1/2" or so... I just don't use it since the fob doesn't work. Its now a spare I plan to program as a "mykey" for valet type of functions.

wish the car had a telescoping steering column...
Thats one of the big things I wish the mustang had. I like the steering wheel to sit close to me. I know the further away you are the better the air bag is to you. But, id rather use a harness and have the wheel close to me.
Old 11/30/13, 11:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The reason I want the current boss is because it is one of the baddest N/A mustangs ever built. I will not be driving a turbo stang and if I wanted a SC stang I would get a GT500. I know the ecoboost are supposed to be all the rage but I'm still very skeptical of forced induction engines. Anything with more than 4 lbs of boost tend to go boom a lot sooner than N/A engines.
I would have to disagree with anything more then 4lbs blowing up but whatever. How has your search been?
Old 12/2/13, 09:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I would have to disagree with anything more then 4lbs blowing up but whatever. How has your search been?
Thats just to say I dont like forced induction. Id rather not be replacing head gaskets and having the forced induction headaches. I know the tech has came a great way but I just like a free flowing small block.

As far as the search goes...not well.

Seems like lots of the cars are quite far away and they want more for the car than when it was new. People/dealers who want 45000 for a non LS with 15,000 miles. I want the car but not for that. I live near STL if that helps any. Most of the cars I find are either up north in MI or MN or way down south in AL or TX. People around here just like their pickup trucks and poorly kitted Camaros.
Old 3/27/14, 09:56 PM

what 155 limiter, on the parkway in Kentucky on the way back from Somerset, I wound it to a 165 and was barely in 6th.

Quick Reply: Boss Owner Questions