Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/11, 05:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.

I baseline dyno'ed my BOSS in August of this year, with around 2000 miles on the odometer. I got my TracKey flash last week, and decided to do some back-to-back testing of the Black Key vs. the TracKey.

No modifications were performed to the vehicle between the baseline runs and today's runs.

The results were certainly not what I expected.

During today's runs, the TK did not make any more power or torque vs. the black key (same story from Ford insiders--no real surprise there). However, I lost 10hp and torque across the board vs. my baseline runs earlier this year. (Edit: Attributing to normal dyno variance.)

This is on the same dyno, same weather conditions, same SAE correction factor, no modifications/changes to the vehicle between run groups.

Here are comparison graphs representing the averages of all runs from each day. The blue trace is the baseline run set performed in August. The red trace is the new run set from today, including both black and red keys.

Name:  7nqos.png
Views: 72
Size:  36.0 KB

This is the same graph, but with the weather conditions shown instead of peak power values.

Name:  S9qqH.png
Views: 64
Size:  36.2 KB

Here is an excel sheet of the max values for each set of runs, along with the test variables. It does look like the runs are more consistent with the 100 octane fuel.

Name:  X5B2S.png
Views: 61
Size:  26.1 KB

Additionally, the TracKey had audible engine knock on throttle tip-in going to WOT below 2500rpm.

Updates:

Originally Posted by nota4re
Hi Drew,

IMHO, there's nothing in the dyno sheets you posted that would concern me in the least.

First, great job by you to use same dyno, same car, seemingly the same weather - perhaps at least the same temperature. 10, 12, or even 15HP I say can be attruibuted to the air density, how warm the car was, small differences in fuel, etc. In my honest opinion - had you changed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, these are the results you probably would have seen. So, I wouldn't worry that the car has been de-tuned, etc. (Conversely, had you seen a similar up-tick in power, I wouldn't be the guy here telling you that you broke in the car right or that a new tune is yielding different results, etc.)

Second, having thought about it, my expectation is that both the Black and Red key would yield almost the same exact HP/TQ results at WOT. WOT in both programs is the same specification - optimize the engine for maximum power generation while keeping the engine safe. This is really the only condition that a dyno is testing. We all need to understand that there is simply a multitude of other scenarios that can and likely were altered within the ECU - things like part throttle response, how quickly timing can advance on acceleration input, decel attributes (which owners HAVE noticed), etc, etc. It just seems logical to me that charting the car's steady state cruise at any given speed, or charting WOT (***** to the wall acceleration) are two scenarios that would be the same in the Black and Red Key tunes. The transitional or anticipatory "states" are what I would expect to have the most change - and these are the ones that would be difficult to see in a traditional dyno. We may see some people start to dyno on variable load-based dynos and then I would expect that we start to see some of the differences.

The bottom line: I wouldn't worry about the results you have seen.
Originally Posted by 06GT
Here are two runs from the same day using 100 octane. These are representative of the average of each block of runs.

TracKey is the RED trace. Black key is the BLUE trace.

Maybe there is a little more low end torque. Or maybe it's just noise.

Here are those same two runs, with the AFR shown. TK is definitely fatter; that's good for engine safety at least.

Last edited by 06GT; 11/14/11 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11/11/11, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought there was no way the Track Key drama could get worse, I was wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Boss12car (9/28/23)
Old 11/11/11, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by askjeffro
lol...... numbers can vary half a year later on same dyno.... thats why when testing things, you should always do back to back comparisons...
Old 11/11/11, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by askjeffro
LOL ^

Thanks for posting Drew. good info. Any reason you did not do back to back runs same day with the two different keys?

I really wanted to run Trackey for Daytona but I am wondering if I should just run the normal tune until all this is sorted out.
Old 11/11/11, 05:27 PM
BOSS Member

It has always been said that it was never meant to increase power, so what exactly were you expecting? I see you were comparing this run with one from a few months ago. Even if you say that the weather conditions were exactly the same there are other parameters involved with the numbers. One of these parameters is if the catalyst temp protection was invoked which will richen the a/f ratio to protect the catalyst from overheating. Why didn't you run both keys this last time for more comparable results?

The red key is more about sharpening throttle response and allowing the driver to feel more in tune with the car. Designed for 'Track Use Only' is stated for a reason.
Old 11/11/11, 05:31 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

There are so many variables: weather related as in temperature and humidity, fuel related as in different blends from different refineries, the tank mix at the service station, the obvious octane choice, oxygenated fuels for different seasons depending upon the state, etc, that to state that you lost power without a back to back run from the two different keys at the same session is well, not credit worthy. No need to have a chicken little moment, do another dyno run with both keys next time.
Old 11/11/11, 05:31 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
It has always been said that it was never meant to increase power, so what exactly were you expecting? I see you were comparing this run with one from a few months ago. Even if you say that the weather conditions were exactly the same there are other parameters involved with the numbers. One of these parameters is if the catalyst temp protection was invoked which will richen the a/f ratio to protect the catalyst from overheating. Why didn't you run both keys this last time for more comparable results?

The red key is more about sharpening throttle response and allowing the driver to feel more in tune with the car. Designed for 'Track Use Only' is stated for a reason.
Is it about causing detonation when you mat it below 2500 rpm as well? That doesn't sound good, especially with 100 octane.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 11/11/11 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11/11/11, 05:33 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
LOL ^

Thanks for posting Drew. good info. Any reason you did not do back to back runs same day with the two different keys?

I really wanted to run Trackey for Daytona but I am wondering if I should just run the normal tune until all this is sorted out.
There's nothing to sort out, use it yourself and try to tell me it's not better on a track. The sharper throttle response, increased engine braking off-throttle, the exhaust burbling and popping on a high rpm coast down. Oh yeah, and the idle too.
Old 11/11/11, 06:04 PM
Cobra R Member

There's nothing to sort out, use it yourself and try to tell me it's not better on a track. The sharper throttle response, increased engine braking off-throttle, the exhaust burbling and popping on a high rpm coast down. Oh yeah, and the idle too.
Yes there is something to sort out. I have run it on track and did not feel any noticeable difference. There may be and I am not good enough to tell but if you took my key away I would not be overly disappointed. It has been a failure in the fact I am still throwing codes and check engine lights others are still going into limp mode. As for engine braking I do not run at parking lot speed on track so that does me little good.

One of the local Boss owners stated he damaged his engine this weekend using the Red Key. He has not told me what exactly the problem is at this point and I am still waiting on details. There is a rumor that another Boss was also damaged down here while running Red Key. Others are reporting detonation and when this was reported to Ford they were told they are not alone. Until there is proof that the tune did any damage it is all speculation but it is, at least to me, something to think about. I am not complaining or even saying anything is wrong, just thinking I should proceed with caution.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/got-my-track-key-installed-and-now-detonation/15/

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/11/11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11/11/11, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

and that sick, lumpy, sweet goodness at idle. Worth the price alone.
Old 11/11/11, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi Drew,

IMHO, there's nothing in the dyno sheets you posted that would concern me in the least.

First, great job by you to use same dyno, same car, seemingly the same weather - perhaps at least the same temperature. 10, 12, or even 15HP I say can be attruibuted to the air density, how warm the car was, small differences in fuel, etc. In my honest opinion - had you changed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, these are the results you probably would have seen. So, I wouldn't worry that the car has been de-tuned, etc. (Conversely, had you seen a similar up-tick in power, I wouldn't be the guy here telling you that you broke in the car right or that a new tune is yielding different results, etc.)

Second, having thought about it, my expectation is that both the Black and Red key would yield almost the same exact HP/TQ results at WOT. WOT in both programs is the same specification - optimize the engine for maximum power generation while keeping the engine safe. This is really the only condition that a dyno is testing. We all need to understand that there is simply a multitude of other scenarios that can and likely were altered within the ECU - things like part throttle response, how quickly timing can advance on acceleration input, decel attributes (which owners HAVE noticed), etc, etc. It just seems logical to me that charting the car's steady state cruise at any given speed, or charting WOT (***** to the wall acceleration) are two scenarios that would be the same in the Black and Red Key tunes. The transitional or anticipatory "states" are what I would expect to have the most change - and these are the ones that would be difficult to see in a traditional dyno. We may see some people start to dyno on variable load-based dynos and then I would expect that we start to see some of the differences.

The bottom line: I wouldn't worry about the results you have seen.
Old 11/11/11, 06:23 PM

Kendall, if YOU think this is all normal, I can live with that.
Old 11/11/11, 06:35 PM
BOSS Member

2012YELLOWBOSS, in regards to your mis-fires and throwing codes, has the trans ever been out or the clutch replaced in your car?
Old 11/11/11, 06:42 PM
Cobra R Member

2012YELLOWBOSS, in regards to your mis-fires and throwing codes, has the trans ever been out or the clutch replaced in your car?
No, nothing on my car in the way of drivetrain has been changed except adding a oil separator (and of course tires/RK).

Is this the first you are hearing of codes, CEL and limp mode? It happens to almost every tracked Boss?
Old 11/11/11, 06:50 PM
BOSS Member

It the first I've heard without the clutch/trans being out. I have actually been staying out of all the Track key threads, it's constant complaining it seems.
Old 11/11/11, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

No, nothing on my car in the way of drivetrain has been changed except adding a oil separator (and of course tires/RK).

Is this the first you are hearing of codes, CEL and limp mode? It happens to almost every tracked Boss?
My buddy has yet to finish a track day without his Boss going into limp mode. He just got the trackey and was hoping this would be a fix.
Old 11/11/11, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

It the first I've heard without the clutch/trans being out. I have actually been staying out of all the Track key threads, it's constant complaining it seems.
Cel's and limp mode have been reported for months. Every Boss I run with down here has the does the same. Please point me to where you saw this relating to a trans being pulled out of the car problem since I have not seen that. As far as Trackey goes this problem was around long before Trackey was released. One complaint since has been that this was suppose to fix the issue but was taken out by CARB. I know many were looking forward to a fix of the issue and it is one of the main reasons I wanted the program.

Sorry if I complained, I am raising issues with this then just believe what I am told to believe without any supporting data. I am just wired that way.
Old 11/11/11, 07:43 PM

For those that ask why I didn't run both keys for the baseline run: track key was not released at that time.
Old 11/11/11, 07:54 PM
BOSS Member

Cel's and limp mode have been reported for months. Every Boss I run with down here has the does the same. Please point me to where you saw this relating to a trans being pulled out of the car problem since I have not seen that. As far as Trackey goes this problem was around long before Trackey was released. One complaint since has been that this was suppose to fix the issue but was taken out by CARB. I know many were looking forward to a fix of the issue and it is one of the main reasons I wanted the program.

Sorry if I complained, I am raising issues with this then just believe what I am told to believe without any supporting data. I am just wired that way.
It's not the fact of it being pulled itself, it's if the correct install procedure is not done with setting the crank position sensor etc. It can trip a CEL with mis-fire code. I'll PM you the details on what exactly needs to be done when a new clutch is installed on a 5L if you want.
Old 11/11/11, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

For those that ask why I didn't run both keys for the baseline run: track key was not released at that time.
Did you run BOTH the red and black key recently or only the red key and then overlayed that with the run you did with the black key a few months ago?

I am not understanding your graphs at all.... You say the blue is the baseline from a while ago and the red is the trackey and black key? Are those combined or what? I only see one red line and one blue line....

Quick Reply: Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.