Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Best brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/13, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great question...unfortunately I am not aware of any "quiet" pads that have really good performance that are still suitable for the street. The Carbotech AX6 is about as close as I have found. It has good initial bite and keeps a consistent braking force until stop.

I actually think the AX6 is a better pad overall and it's a little less annoying than the HP+ sound wise. The HP+ has better initial bite but then drops off. So it can come down to a braking preference decision if you track or Auto-X. But for the street I think the Carbotech is more livable.
Old 7/2/13, 10:55 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ConeBoss
HP+ is also a pretty noisy pad. Just to keep that in mind.
Yes, especially on a cold rainy day betwixt two four story buildings situated in Colonial Williamsburg.

If you ever want to get EVERYBODY'S ATTENTION, that's the way to do it.

It was like I turned the whole street into a chalkboard
Old 7/2/13, 12:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ConeBoss
That's a great question...unfortunately I am not aware of any "quiet" pads that have really good performance that are still suitable for the street. The Carbotech AX6 is about as close as I have found. It has good initial bite and keeps a consistent braking force until stop.

I actually think the AX6 is a better pad overall and it's a little less annoying than the HP+ sound wise. The HP+ has better initial bite but then drops off. So it can come down to a braking preference decision if you track or Auto-X. But for the street I think the Carbotech is more livable.
I'm interested in the Carbotech pads, but of course, can't find anyone who carries them here in Ontario.
Old 7/3/13, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
I'm interested in the Carbotech pads, but of course, can't find anyone who carries them here in Ontario.
I had to order mine online.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-serie...anther+Plus%29
Old 7/6/13, 05:31 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

In the DFW area, Vorshlag sells carbotech pads:

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=141_142
Old 7/10/13, 07:12 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dayve
Even if I do not track my Boss, I still want the most stopping power available. What would be a inexpensive upgrade? Fluid, hose, pads...

Dave

Brake Pad Upgrade.

For about $300 you can swap the factory pads out for after market Pads , I swapped mine for Hawk HPS Plus, for street driving.

For HPDE I use DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rear

Down side of the HPS Plus is a lot of brake dust !
Old 7/13/13, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by yankee_pony

Brake Pad Upgrade.

For about $300 you can swap the factory pads out for after market Pads , I swapped mine for Hawk HPS Plus, for street driving.

For HPDE I use DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rear

Down side of the HPS Plus is a lot of brake dust !
I love the dtc 70/60 combo. I use them with DBA T3 5000/4000 rotors for track days. This setup stops the Boss really well!
Old 7/14/13, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, so I think I will keep the brake set up and when it comes time to change the pads, get some upgraded ones...thanks guys.

Dave
Old 7/16/13, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
DOT 4 fluid, stainless lines, and I am really liking the HP+ pads for the street.
+1

That's a good combo for street.
Old 7/16/13, 06:04 PM
GT Member

If you guys are interested in good brakes im selling a set of New Shelby baer extreme 6s solid one piece caliper with 14" rotors with lines 2450 retails for 3500+
Old 2/23/14, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor

FWIW...for those looking for a great deal on full Wilwood kits for your Mustang:

TCE has jumped in as a new Vendor offering complete Wilwood front and rear "4X" kits starting under $2500. To the door.

From 13" fronts to 14" fronts, 13" or 14" rears....FNSL6 calipers or the beefier W6A set ups I have you covered. 05-13 MUSTANG

TCE also has some of the best deals on Brake Pads and related Service Parts you'll ever need to keep your calipers and car in top flight order.
Attached Images  
Old 3/3/14, 07:00 AM
Former Vendor

COLORS!

TCE can offer you some special, pre applied colors to your Wilwood brake kit build.
BLUE, RED, BLACK YELLOW, SILVER and in some cases even electroless nickel is an option.

Call or email for all the details!

*Coffee cup not included.
Old 3/3/14, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Question Help me out, guys

Originally Posted by Schram1
If you guys are interested in good brakes im selling a set of New Shelby baer extreme 6s solid one piece caliper with 14" rotors with lines 2450 retails for 3500+
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I purchased 12 ex rental convertible from major renter w/ 38k on odometer. In doing my post sale check, I decided to swap pads(rotorsOK) even tho stopping power was very adequate. Installed Porterfield ceramics all around (same as on SL for 22k miles, and the **** car will almost throw you to the windshield on hard pedal, for less that $400, and I regularly drive the peace out of this car. I don't understand the super expensive "upgrades" to the comparable of an indy setup. It's a Ford. Someone enlighten me, please. Yes, I said please. And Thanks.
Old 3/3/14, 08:23 AM
V6 Member

Talking well said

Originally Posted by Grant 302
Ironically, the 'most stopping power available' on the street would come from upgraded TIRES.
The only intelligent response so far. You cannot stop the car if the tires are locked up and skidding!!!
Old 3/3/14, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

A few things being overlooked:

1. Fade resistance. A larger rotor will do the same work but more efficiently, keeping the heat from getting to the caliper as quickly.

2. Lighter weight parts. The combined kit, even with its larger rotor will reduce both overall and rotational mass.

3. Fixed mount calipers. A fixed mount caliper has no slide body which is 'slop' in the eyes of the big brake kit. Pedal feel is more responsive (quicker) and more tactical- threshold braking is far easier to balance.

4. Brakes are to tires as tires are to the road. Meaning if one were to put better tires on the car (and many do of course) the brakes are no longer balanced to the demands of the tire. (we're assuming a stickier tire not a snow tire...) Adding a more efficient system can further enhance the effectiveness of the tires.

5. They look good. A car doesn't need a lot of things that folks purchase; stripe kits, fog lamps, a wing or body kit, carbon fiber bits etc. Even some engine goodies are far less effective than sold to be, we've all bought some.

6. Because you can. I can only say I've never heard a buyer say they found the use of a big brake system to be detrimental or not surpassing their expectations. In fact as one who tends to down play some of it it's often quite the opposite.

Best quote I've gotten more than once: "If I'd know earlier what I do now, brakes would have been first on my list of purchases. Every time I step on the pedal I know right were my money went. Can't say that about a lot of engine parts I'v bought." True story.

For everyone: nope. For those who appreciate the benefit; you bet.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 3/3/14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 3/3/14, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
A few things being overlooked:

1. Fade resistance. A larger rotor will do the same work but more efficiently, keeping the heat from getting to the caliper as quickly.

2. Lighter weight parts. The combined kit, even with its larger rotor will reduce both overall and rotational mass.

3. Fixed mount calipers. A fixed mount caliper has no slide body which is 'slop' in the eyes of the big brake kit. Pedal feel is more responsive (quicker) and more tactical- threshold braking is far easier to balance.

4. Brakes are to tires as tires are to the road. Meaning if one were to put better tires on the car (and many do of course) the brakes are no longer balanced to the demands of the tire. (we're assuming a stickier tire not a snow tire...) Adding a more efficient system can further enhance the effectiveness of the tires.

5. They look good. A car doesn't need a lot of things that folks purchase; stripe kits, fog lamps, a wing or body kit, carbon fiber bits etc. Even some engine goodies are far less effective than sold to be, we've all bought some.

6. Because you can. I can only say I've never heard a buyer say they found the use of a big brake system to be detrimental or not surpassing their expectations. In fact as one who tends to down play some of it it's often quite the opposite.

Best quote I've gotten more than once: "If I'd know earlier what I do now, brakes would have been first on my list of purchases. Every time I step on the pedal I know right were my money went. Can't say that about a lot of engine parts I'v bought." True story.

For everyone: nope. For those who appreciate the benefit; you bet.
Very convincing and intelligent response, Todd. If we ever need an enthusisastic well informed sales rep, we'll get in touch. You do a great job selling brake systems.
Old 3/3/14, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a boss and don't track it? that is a very sad state of affairs.
Old 3/4/14, 06:01 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks Gary.

Truth is; once you have one they pretty much sell themselves!
Old 4/14/14, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor

Rocking the Mustang World with the best in options and value!