Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Best brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/13, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best brake upgrade?

Even if I do not track my Boss, I still want the most stopping power available. What would be a inexpensive upgrade? Fluid, hose, pads...

Dave
Old 6/22/13, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many brakes kits available, but other than the Ford Racing Parts kits, almost all of them are in the $2000-4000+ range. Since you didn't mention a price range, I'll start with some cost conscientious options.

The 2013/14 GT500 brakes, Ford Racing Parts M-2300-T, found around the web for around $1800. Unfortunately you wheel selection for fitment of the 15" Brembo 6-piston calipers is pretty limited, and you will likely have to measure many wheels to find out of they clear.

One of the better available are the Wilwood W6A WCCB Carbon-Ceramic Big Brake Front Brake Kit, $7,162.39. These are 14" 6-piston calipers with Carbon Ceramic rotors. These will be lighter than any stock steel rotor, and will be able to take repeated abuse without warping.

Last edited by kn7671; 6/22/13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 6/22/13, 06:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

DOT 4 fluid, stainless lines, and I am really liking the HP+ pads for the street.
Old 6/22/13, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Dayve
I still want the most stopping power available.
Ironically, the 'most stopping power available' on the street would come from upgraded TIRES.
Old 6/22/13, 09:50 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dayve
Even if I do not track my Boss, I still want the most stopping power available. What would be a inexpensive upgrade? Fluid, hose, pads...

Dave
low end cost side:
brake bleed and upgrade brake fluid
....would be surprised what a brake bleed does
Old 6/23/13, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Goodridge SS lines and ATE Blue fluid for starters, can't wait to replace the pads...
Old 6/23/13, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Grant 302

Ironically, the 'most stopping power available' on the street would come from upgraded TIRES.
Is this your opinion, experience, or is there some documentation to support your statement? A change of tires is not an inexpensive option as you know.
Old 6/23/13, 08:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant 302
I was just going to say the same thing.
Old 6/23/13, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orng302
Is this your opinion, experience, or is there some documentation to support your statement? A change of tires is not an inexpensive option as you know.
Having grippier tire leverages the available clamping force more effectively, especially in wet road conditions. It is the friction between the road and the tire that is key to a car slowing after the brakes are activated. Think about trying to stop on an icy surface. Having bigger brakes won't matter if the trip is slipping.

This, of course, assumes that you are properly managing the pedal force, the steering situation, and are aware of the traction situation on the road.

The stock brakes are going to be fine for street driving. High-speed driving and racing are much different. There, heat management is very important, so changes to resist overheating the braking system are crucial.

If it were my dime, I'd put my money first into tires if I wanted shorter stopping distances. I would then consider stainless steel brake lines to better modulate the pedal and a change of pad. Of course, changing the pads means you have to balance the trade-offs of dust, noise, pad longevity, and cost. I would do this for a STREET DRIVER, not a track car.

PS - This is an explanation of the basic physics. And this is a presentation on braking systems from an engineering standpoint.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 6/23/13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 6/23/13, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

^Tony, thanks for the explanation...that's exactly what I mean!
Not to be snarky, but yes, all of the above. Plus, it's conventional wisdom of the road race community...and like Tony points out, it's just the physics of all the parts involved with braking.

For the track, I care about upgraded brake parts for heat-sink, heat dissipation, fade resistance, temperature handling, bite, modulation, release...etc. Those factors don't matter much to me for the street. Cold braking performance will mainly come from the tires.
Old 6/23/13, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I understand the physics, and engineering behind better braking but my question was more about your inference that the stock Boss tires are inferior. Or am I misunderstanding your post? Btw, thanks for the explanation.
Old 6/23/13, 03:39 PM
V6 Member

I understand the physics, and engineering behind better braking but my question was more about your inference that the stock Boss tires are inferior. Or am I misunderstanding your post? Btw, thanks for the explanation.
Probably just not making myself clear. I wouldn't classify the OEM P Zeros as 'inferior'...especially against most OEM selections. Pretty good in that regard. But they definitely have room to be improved on in the context of 'most stopping power available'.

In the wet, high silica compounds like Pilot Super Sports or Sport Comp 2's are way superior for braking (and handling). In the dry, there are many other DOT selections that will brake and handle better while costing less.

But my *main* point is that for the street, tires matter way more than the braking system upgrades.
Old 6/23/13, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Got it, thanks again.
Old 6/27/13, 10:22 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Goodridge SS lines and ATE Blue fluid for starters, can't wait to replace the pads...
Y'know the SS brake lines in combination with HPS+ pads make for an interesting situation with my car, the wheels will lock up briefly when you clamp down on the brakes if just for a fraction of a second.
Old 6/28/13, 06:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob

Y'know the SS brake lines in combination with HPS+ pads make for an interesting situation with my car, the wheels will lock up briefly when you clamp down on the brakes if just for a fraction of a second.
Mine do that stock. Thinking the pad change will be enough for me at this point.
Old 6/28/13, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I still believe the HP+'s to be a good upgrade, except the fact that they dust a lot. Our cars are loud enough that you shouldn't here the squeal and it shouldn't bother you if you do hear a little. They can get pretty interesting though once hot.
Old 6/28/13, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I still believe the HP+'s to be a good upgrade, except the fact that they dust a lot. Our cars are loud enough that you shouldn't here the squeal and it shouldn't bother you if you do hear a little. They can get pretty interesting though once hot.
HP+ is also a pretty noisy pad. Just to keep that in mind.
Old 6/28/13, 12:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
HP+ is also a pretty noisy pad. Just to keep that in mind.
This is true, but I doubt you would hear it with the discs out or with anything above stock mufflers.
Old 7/1/13, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I did, and I have no CATs. Those SOBs were squealing like pigs every traffic light stop. But they have great initial bite once you get a bit of heat into them.
Old 7/1/13, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

What pads have HP+ bite without the sound though? I didn't think you could get good bite without the sound.

Quick Reply: Best brake upgrade?