Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

1 Day old boss 302 with BLOWN motor???

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/11, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day old boss 302 with BLOWN motor???

So I bought a 2012 Boss whit with black stripes, the recaro package, car cover and convinced the dealer to install factory Xenon HIDs...I bought this car yesterday with 7miles on it and am fully aware of how to properly break in a motor...this is the 3rd car that I own (2002 wrx with 400 wheel hp, 2005 ls2 gto and now the boss). So at about 90 miles i decide to get it on the interstate and bring the revs up a little pretty close to redline with out going full throttle and constantly changing gears as to not maintain constant revs...i properly heat the motor up before I drive it and never just shut the car off after driving i let it idle for a minute or 2. Any way, at exactly 100 miles before I have ever gone full throttle i notice that when I accelerate there is a significant amount of smoke coming out of the back of the car...at first I thought it was dust bening that it the roads were dirty and it was a very wind day, so i decide to do another slightly strong pull in third gear and the same thing happens. So I just chill for a little start jamming to some music and I look down at the gauge sluster about 5min later and the thermometer is pinned at hot and the cheng enginge light is on as is the coolant light. I immediately put it in neutral and get off on the next exit...i try to give it some gas and absolutly no power and a lot of bad noises from the engine!!! Pop the hood, no coolant! Coolant on the subframe and front splitter...go to the back and coolant on the back bumper!! the car had a full tank of coolant when I left that morning! it seems like a blown motor to me! either valve floated or rod punctured a whole in the block! If this is not the case I feel like it is absolutely terrible to over heat the motor for that long during break in and I had no power at all after I discovered the issue. i guess my question is...do these cars have a limp mode when stuff goes wrong is that the lack of power? and how bad is it to overheat for 5min during breakin. Either way ford better make this right or they will never here the end of this. i dont want a new motor (then the numbers dont match and it is a boss!) i dont want a rebuilt motor! And i really dont want them to say the motor is fine it just needs coolant and the car will be on its way! who knows what type of damage has been done and how the performance and life of the motor will be after the overheat!! What a crappy deal I want a new Boss Ford!
thanks for any input guys!
Old 4/17/11, 09:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Pics?
Old 4/17/11, 10:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
in for pics
Old 4/17/11, 10:30 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Old 4/17/11, 10:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
This may be a case where I rather not be blown
Old 4/17/11, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

Definitely pics
Old 4/17/11, 10:53 PM

I had ford roadside tow the car to the dealer and couldnt get any good pics with my phone while I was sitting on the side of the road it was around 8pm and the lighting was terrible...however I will be at the dealer before they open tomorrow waiting for them at the front door! Tomorrow could be great or terrible we will see that is for sure and I will get pics if i can! So any thoughts on my previous questions?
What would you guys do! Regardless of blown motor or not, would you want a new car if that motor was compromised even the slightest? Cuz I def. dont want a new car with a rebuilt motor or weakened one! I paid 51k for the thing (with 6yr extended maintenance 2k, Xenon HID upgrade 2.5k, tint 200, gap coverage 2k, clear bra every 6months 400, and sky tracker 800?) So i bought into all the dealer upgrades cuz i wanted no headaches and now this!! WTF
Questions and answers fellas...pics soon!
Old 4/17/11, 11:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is little to no chance you will get a new car. The motor will have to blow for unknown reasons 3 or 4 times before you can even go down that road. Fact is these things happen, that does not help you much but nothing is perfect and you got the one.

If the motor is done right it could be just as good as new. However being so new a crate motor may be better. I do not know if they still stamp a VIN into these motors but you just swap out the intake and you will be good. I would not be happy if it were me and understand you are frustrated but if you think they are going to replace the car you may end up being even more frustrated.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/17/11 at 11:13 PM.
Old 4/17/11, 11:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BossRx
So I bought a 2012 Boss whit with black stripes, the recaro package, car cover and convinced the dealer to install factory Xenon HIDs...I bought this car yesterday with 7miles on it and am fully aware of how to properly break in a motor...this is the 3rd car that I own (2002 wrx with 400 wheel hp, 2005 ls2 gto and now the boss). So at about 90 miles i decide to get it on the interstate and bring the revs up a little pretty close to redline with out going full throttle and constantly changing gears as to not maintain constant revs...i properly heat the motor up before I drive it and never just shut the car off after driving i let it idle for a minute or 2. Any way, at exactly 100 miles before I have ever gone full throttle i notice that when I accelerate there is a significant amount of smoke coming out of the back of the car...at first I thought it was dust bening that it the roads were dirty and it was a very wind day, so i decide to do another slightly strong pull in third gear and the same thing happens. So I just chill for a little start jamming to some music and I look down at the gauge sluster about 5min later and the thermometer is pinned at hot and the cheng enginge light is on as is the coolant light. I immediately put it in neutral and get off on the next exit...i try to give it some gas and absolutly no power and a lot of bad noises from the engine!!! Pop the hood, no coolant! Coolant on the subframe and front splitter...go to the back and coolant on the back bumper!! the car had a full tank of coolant when I left that morning! it seems like a blown motor to me! either valve floated or rod punctured a whole in the block! If this is not the case I feel like it is absolutely terrible to over heat the motor for that long during break in and I had no power at all after I discovered the issue. i guess my question is...do these cars have a limp mode when stuff goes wrong is that the lack of power? and how bad is it to overheat for 5min during breakin. Either way ford better make this right or they will never here the end of this. i dont want a new motor (then the numbers dont match and it is a boss!) i dont want a rebuilt motor! And i really dont want them to say the motor is fine it just needs coolant and the car will be on its way! who knows what type of damage has been done and how the performance and life of the motor will be after the overheat!! What a crappy deal I want a new Boss Ford!
thanks for any input guys!
If you saw coolant in those spots, would it be a cracked block?
Old 4/17/11, 11:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not familiar with the new cars at all on their sensors/tunes, but could it possibly be the radiator just has a leak or maybe a hose?
Old 4/17/11, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I'm not familiar with the new cars at all on their sensors/tunes, but could it possibly be the radiator just has a leak or maybe a hose?
That's my initial thought. Antifreeze was leaking/burning off the exhaust - explains the "smoke" and eventual overheating. Hot motor would pull all timing and make it feel like a dog.

Last edited by Mustang_Man; 4/17/11 at 11:15 PM.
Old 4/17/11, 11:14 PM

i guess all of that is possible! I didnt do much poking around. the fact is I bought a new car with a new motor from the factory and that is what i want I know i am probably not going to get a new car, but am going to be extremely frustrated if I dont...i wanted the **** thing to be totally original! No head swap or crate motor or new block especially if the numbers dont match..we all no what maching numbers do to the value of limited production muscle car! i am sure they wont give me a new car, i may just tell them to keep the car cancel the loan and give me my down payment back. i really dont want this thing tainted...I have the GTO and the wrx to screw with i wanted this as a car i would keep for many years so when everything is electric power i will be one of few that has an original 2012 boss 302 with ultra low miles! Well we will see tomorrow! Any thoughts on the 5min of overheating during breakin ?
Old 4/17/11, 11:36 PM

The smoke only came when the throttle was applied and the rear bumper was covered in coolant!! no smoke at all from under the hood which is a bit weird to me!
Old 4/17/11, 11:39 PM
Cobra R Member

What kind of noise was it?
Old 4/17/11, 11:48 PM

misfires screwed up timing the car wouldnt even rev
Old 4/18/11, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BossRx
i guess all of that is possible! I didnt do much poking around. the fact is I bought a new car with a new motor from the factory and that is what i want I know i am probably not going to get a new car, but am going to be extremely frustrated if I dont...i wanted the **** thing to be totally original! No head swap or crate motor or new block especially if the numbers dont match..we all no what maching numbers do to the value of limited production muscle car! i am sure they wont give me a new car, i may just tell them to keep the car cancel the loan and give me my down payment back. i really dont want this thing tainted...I have the GTO and the wrx to screw with i wanted this as a car i would keep for many years so when everything is electric power i will be one of few that has an original 2012 boss 302 with ultra low miles! Well we will see tomorrow! Any thoughts on the 5min of overheating during breakin ?
You will be long dead before this car is a collectors item. Your children may benefit if they sell it once your pushing a bush full of daisies. I know your pissed and I would be too however maybe it will be even more collectible because it's the only one that blew up. Keep all the paperwork from ford when they put in the new coyote so your kids can have it documented that ford fixed it. I feel for you,I really do. You bought the baddest mustang you can buy and it choked on ya. Try to get some rest so when you get to the dealership someone doesn't get killed.

www.********** we encourage kill stories
Old 4/18/11, 12:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Ford might tell them to pull the engine and send it back to them
Old 4/18/11, 12:39 AM

Haha i agree I do need some sleep! so I dont rage on someone! hopefully ill still be around when this thing is worth something...im still in my 20s but this high blood pressure make cause a stroke by the time tomorrow roles around...If i die tell my parents I love them!
Old 4/18/11, 12:47 AM
Cobra R Member

btw: what # is your boss?
Old 4/18/11, 01:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like some kind of coolant leak since there was coolant on the front splitter. Some coolant proably got into the air box and then was sucked into the engine on hard acceleration. I am sure the coolant warning light comes on quick enough to warn the driver before the engine becomes toast. As long as there was water still in the engine, the engine should be okay.

Quick Reply: 1 Day old boss 302 with BLOWN motor???