2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Burnout control - can it be disabled by the dealer or a code lockout??

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/14, 07:05 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnout control - can it be disabled by the dealer or a code lockout??

I know, most of you are probably saying "WTF, don't use it if you don't want to..." But you see, I have two problems with it. One is a 23 year old and the other is a 19 year old. And they are both males.
Now the boys won't be driving the car on a regular basis, maybe a rare ocassion for a date. But I really need to take that temptation away from them!
But I'm sure no one has the answer to this yet since the car is not even on the street in our hands. But I sure hope Ford puts safeguards in place for situations like this.
Old 8/1/14, 07:27 AM
GTR Member

Can this be controlled by MyKey?

I'm just returning to the Ford scene since 2009... so I have no idea how MyKey works...
Old 8/1/14, 07:30 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would hope MyKey would disable launch control/Line Locks and track apps etc.
Old 8/1/14, 04:01 PM

MyKey disables that and much more! from speed governor to radio volume and phone calls.
Old 8/1/14, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek
MyKey disables that and much more! from speed governor to radio volume and phone calls.
source?
Old 8/1/14, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by rmurer
source?
The salesman i asked when ordering mine. i had the same concerns.
Old 8/2/14, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottsGT
I know, most of you are probably saying "WTF, don't use it if you don't want to..." But you see, I have two problems with it. One is a 23 year old and the other is a 19 year old. And they are both males.
Now the boys won't be driving the car on a regular basis, maybe a rare ocassion for a date. But I really need to take that temptation away from them!
But I'm sure no one has the answer to this yet since the car is not even on the street in our hands. But I sure hope Ford puts safeguards in place for situations like this.
If you still don't feel like you can trust them, just keep the keys in your pocket. They can drive something else.
Old 8/2/14, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe the info requested can be found in the Owners manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2014.pdf
Old 8/2/14, 09:53 AM
I Have No Life

Things that cannot be disabled with MyKey:
-Belt Minder
-Earlier low fuel warning
-Driver assisted features (Parking Aid, BLIS, Lane Departure, Forward Collision Warning)
- Track Mode

What can be configured:
-Vehicle speed limit
-Speed minders
-audio max at 45%
-Always on: Advance Trac, Emergency Assist,Do Not Disturb + Sport Mode off

Last edited by Boomer; 8/2/14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 8/2/14, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
If you still don't feel like you can trust them, just keep the keys in your pocket. They can drive something else.
This is a pretty fair point. If you can't tell them "no burnouts or other shenanigans" without them going behind you and doing it anyways, they're not mature enough for a car like that.
Old 8/3/14, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
This is a pretty fair point. If you can't tell them "no burnouts or other shenanigans" without them going behind you and doing it anyways, they're not mature enough for a car like that.
Hell, I can't trust myself! but I have to ask, do you have kids? Especially boys!? It's just one of those things that are still one of the great mysteries of the universe. The young, male mind.....
Old 8/3/14, 09:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Do I have kids? No...but I was one, and my dad has a 1968 Camaro with a BBC 502 that I was fortunate enough to drive when I was 16. He didn't let me do much in it until I could prove that I could handle the power (and not do anything right in front of a cop or anything). I took it easy until he let me have some fun with it.
Old 8/3/14, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hell, I can't trust myself! but I have to ask, do you have kids? Especially boys!? It's just one of those things that are still one of the great mysteries of the universe. The young, male mind.....
Lol I'm 26, almost 27. I have 2100 miles on my 2014 GT and I've yet to do a burnout. I drive plenty fast, but idk I'm just kinda over the whole burnouts on the street thing
Old 8/3/14, 11:20 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Lol I'm 26, almost 27. I have 2100 miles on my 2014 GT and I've yet to do a burnout. I drive plenty fast, but idk I'm just kinda over the whole burnouts on the street thing
This right here, I got my 05 GT brand new when I was 22 and did not even do one burn out but did drive plenty fast. I did not want to damage my baby, yet alone take the chance of damaging my dad's car if it were his!
Old 8/3/14, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
This right here, I got my 05 GT brand new when I was 22 and did not even do one burn out but did drive plenty fast. I did not want to damage my baby, yet alone take the chance of damaging my dad's car if it were his!
Yep okay I did do a couple burnouts in my 03 last year, but even then they were more so hard launches versus sustained burnouts
Old 8/3/14, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MyKey Option lockouts...

The Owners Manual (pdf) that was just released has multiple pages of just about every setting for the vehicle can be set to a maximum or locked out:
Line Lock, Maximum speed, speaker loudness, lights, etc. etc.
Old 8/4/14, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tsunami
The Owners Manual (pdf) that was just released has multiple pages of just about every setting for the vehicle can be set to a maximum or locked out:
Line Lock, Maximum speed, speaker loudness, lights, etc. etc.

Yep, just downloaded it last night. makes the wait even worse.
Old 8/4/14, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I love how they have copied and pasted so many things from other car's manuals. When it talks about the door locks it mentions the keypad key less entry, which I'm pretty sure isn't an option on any Mustang.
Or the picture of the turn signal stalk that showed the Lane Keep Assist button, another feature I don't think is available at all.
Old 8/6/14, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could always just tell your boys that the Mustang is fully equipped in a lot of ways and one of them is the chauffeur (YOU)!
Maybe that will remind them that drivings mom and dads car is a privilege, not a right!

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yeah, its a pretty easy way to destroy your rubber.... Tires aren't cheap! esp for anyone who lives in Canada. Replacement tires are close to $400 a corner in CANADA!!!!!!
Old 8/6/14, 01:58 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
... Tires aren't cheap! esp for anyone who lives in Canada. Replacement tires are close to $400 a corner in CANADA!!!!!!

Reminds me years ago when I got my car.
At a light a family pulls up and the kid in the backseat looks over and yells
"Lightem Up!"

I looked over and said "You know how much tires cost?"

The father laughed
The kid was disappointed.

Quick Reply: Burnout control - can it be disabled by the dealer or a code lockout??