Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2010-2014 Mustang > Warranty and Service Issue
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12/5/13, 7:46 AM   #1
V6 Member

Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel

I have a 2013 Mustang GT Coupe and I keep hearing water sloshing around the passenger side rear quarter panel. Anyone else having this issue? I took it to the dealer and the service adviser said this may not be covered under warranty. Is this true? Its definitely not my gas sloshing around either. I filled it up this morning and it was still making the noise.

I'm assuming the drain plugs are clogged with debris from what a read online. Does anyone know the fix for this?
dave07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/13, 8:36 AM   #2

I had a problem with water getting in from the trunk lid. It wasn't fitting tight around the seal and when I wash my car water would get in. So you might check that.
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/13, 10:26 AM   #3
Mach 1 Member

'10 GT(Mila)

'10 GT (Mila)
do a search. there is a discussion about this. I had water pooling inside the inside of the fenders in my trunk (behind the carpet on each side) after a heavy downpour. found that this came from a grommet hole behind the taillights.
bones302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/13, 12:06 PM   #4
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones302 View Post
do a search. there is a discussion about this. I had water pooling inside the inside of the fenders in my trunk (behind the carpet on each side) after a heavy downpour. found that this came from a grommet hole behind the taillights.
Do I just need to pull up the carpet to access the grommet?
Old 12/11/13, 1:20 PM   #5
Mach 1 Member

'10 GT(Mila)

'10 GT (Mila)
you're not going to easily see where it is coming from. I would check the inner fender in the trunk first to see if water is pooled in there. just stick your hand in the side behind the carpet and feel around.

if there is water there, then it is that grommet, which is behind that large plastic trim piece in the center that contains the trunk light.
bones302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/13, 10:09 AM   #6
V6 Member

I took off the trunk panel and inspected around the trunk. I couldn't find any water except around this thing: Click the image to open in full size.

I have no idea what it is.
Old 12/22/13, 2:09 PM   #7
V6 Member

Ok, so I took off some of the body panels in my car. I noticed some water behind the seat belt grommet.
Click the image to open in full size.

I unbolted the seat belt mechanism:

Inside, what is that? Water?:

Yep that's nasty gray water in between my inner and outer body panels:

So is this covered under warranty or what? I still have my bumper to bumper. Anyone know where the grommets are to drain this bad boy? I felt around but couldn't find any grommets.
Old 12/22/13, 5:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave07 View Post
Ok, so I took off some of the body panels in my car. I noticed some water behind the seat belt grommet.

So is this covered under warranty or what? I still have my bumper to bumper. Anyone know where the grommets are to drain this bad boy? I felt around but couldn't find any grommets.
I'd take it to the dealer just like that and let them see that. I cannot imagine that something like that wouldn't be covered under the warranty. Obviously, something was sealed correctly at the factory.

Maybe take a peek under the car right under that spot and see if there is a grommet or a seal down there that does not look right.
Scott5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/13, 8:26 PM   #9
Shelby GT500 Member

Patrick

Mustang GTCS
If they deny you: Tell them you noticed a mosquito larvae in the pooling and you have been running a malaria fever since then.
2000 Saleen SC281 (Retired)
Getportfolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/13, 8:19 AM   #10
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5.0 View Post

I'd take it to the dealer just like that and let them see that. I cannot imagine that something like that wouldn't be covered under the warranty. Obviously, something was sealed correctly at the factory.

Maybe take a peek under the car right under that spot and see if there is a grommet or a seal down there that does not look right.
Everytime I talk to my dealer they give me the run around. Like oh I don't know if if there is anything we can do since it is related to the body. It just pisses me off when I call them because it seems like they don't want to help me.
Old 12/26/13, 12:37 PM   #11
Ford Customer Service Rep

Deysha

Quote:
I have a 2013 Mustang GT Coupe and I keep hearing water sloshing around the passenger side rear quarter panel...
Quote:
Ok, so I took off some of the body panels in my car. I noticed some water behind the seat belt grommet...
Quote:
Everytime I talk to my dealer they give me the run around. Like oh I don't know if if there is anything we can do since it is related to the body. It just pisses me off when I call them because it seems like they don't want to help me.
Hey dave07,

Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/13, 8:53 AM   #12
V6 Member

I took this to the dealer and they think it is fuel sloshing around in the tank. That's total BS. I showed them the photos and they still wont believe me. Drove the car away from the dealer with the sloshing sound still there. Whats worse is when the water freezes in the quarter panel and you can hear the ice banging around against the panels. It's loud. So frustrated right now. I'm curious to see what Ford is going to do. I'm in contact with the customer service manager in my area thanks to Deysha.
Old 12/31/13, 7:15 AM   #13

Deysha

Quote:
I took this to the dealer and they think it is fuel sloshing around in the tank. That's total BS. I showed them the photos and they still wont believe me. Drove the car away from the dealer with the sloshing sound still there. Whats worse is when the water freezes in the quarter panel and you can hear the ice banging around against the panels. It's loud. So frustrated right now. I'm curious to see what Ford is going to do. I'm in contact with the customer service manager in my area thanks to Deysha.
You're welcome, dave07!

Deysha

Old 1/1/14, 12:57 PM   #14
Shelby GT350 Member

Tim

06 GT Coupe 5M VB
Garage
Thats cool shes got you some help- suggestion to ford though, when cases like this come up with inept service departments, do they get a reprimand of sorts? They certainly should...
Old 1/3/14, 9:56 AM   #15

Deysha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429 View Post
Thats cool shes got you some help- suggestion to ford though, when cases like this come up with inept service departments, do they get a reprimand of sorts? They certainly should...
Feedback is important; it helps us learn where we can make changes to improve and maintain customer satisfaction, ford4v429. If you ever need my assistance, donít hesitate to PM me.

Deysha

Old 1/9/14, 9:09 PM   #16

Joshua

2013 Mustang v6
Dave07, I believe I have the same exact problem as you've posted. I've recently discovered this same problem with my '13 base Mustang. I never noticed any water sloshing sounds before, but twice now, I can easily hear something banging against the rear driver side panel between the door and the wheel well when braking & accelerating, obviously coming from inside the panel. It started several days ago, then stopped when it got real cold. Now it's warmed up a little bit today pretty well above freezing and I hear the noise again which leads me to believe that there's water inside. It'll be going to the dealer soon.

Last edited by SMBJoshy; 1/9/14 at 9:10 PM.
SMBJoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/14, 7:45 AM   #17

Deysha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBJoshy View Post
Dave07, I believe I have the same exact problem as you've posted. I've recently discovered this same problem with my '13 base Mustang. I never noticed any water sloshing sounds before, but twice now, I can easily hear something banging against the rear driver side panel between the door and the wheel well when braking & accelerating, obviously coming from inside the panel. It started several days ago, then stopped when it got real cold. Now it's warmed up a little bit today pretty well above freezing and I hear the noise again which leads me to believe that there's water inside. It'll be going to the dealer soon.
Definitely bring it in and let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for you area, SMBJoshy. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha

Old 1/11/14, 4:53 AM   #18
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBJoshy View Post
Keep us posted as to what you find it. I'm about 90 % sure the water is getting in through the wheel well.
Old 1/12/14, 1:59 PM   #19
GT Member

Scott

I recently started hearing sloshing in the passenger rear fender on my '14 as well as I turn corners.

When the car is parked, if I rock the car the water comes out in front of the right rear wheel. Time to give the dealer a call. I'm sure the freeze/thaw cycles in winter aren't doing great things for the affected area.

Cross your fingers that I won't need Deysha's assistance.
Dealer receive 7/15 - Pickup 7/23
PonyOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/13/14, 9:25 AM   #20

Deysha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyOx View Post
I recently started hearing sloshing in the passenger rear fender on my '14 as well as I turn corners.

When the car is parked, if I rock the car the water comes out in front of the right rear wheel. Time to give the dealer a call. I'm sure the freeze/thaw cycles in winter aren't doing great things for the affected area.

Cross your fingers that I won't need Deysha's assistance.
Keep me posted as well, PonyOx!

Deysha

Old 1/13/14, 9:25 AM