Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sync Ipod help....Indexing forever

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/12, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sync Ipod help....Indexing forever

Figured I'd start my own thread was hijacking that other one enough.

So here is the deal after a few weeks or maybe a couple months my ipod will go from working flawlessly to Indexing //////. It will never stop indexing. The only solution I've found is to disconnect the battery. I asked the dealer when I was there for an oil change and they responded with Sometimes it just needs a full reset....by disconnecting the battery.

This is not a valid fix to the issue. Anyone have any ideas? I've gone to the sync web site and did the sync ipod fix thing where it runs through all the songs and corrects file names or whatever. Still nothing. There are no current updates for me. I have a new-ish 80gb ipod I leave connected to the car at all times. It has about 19gb of music on it.

What is my fix or what am I doing wrong?
Old 12/11/12, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy fix

1. Go to passenger side kick panel and pull the plastic piece off

2. behind the kick panel will be a velcro padding, undo it and behind there is a fuse panel

3. pull fuse #3 for about 2 min

4. replace fuse and turn the car on to the on position and and sync your ipod, if it works then put it all back together, if not pull the fuse and wait 5 min
Old 12/11/12, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks that is better than disconnecting the battery I think.

But I don't see this as a real fix. I assume you have the same problem? I'm digging around the sync web site but don't see much. I figure I'll shoot them a call.
Old 12/11/12, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

for others: do not call the sync help number. at the end of 30 long painful min they claim my ipod is not supported. It clearly is according to the syncmyride web site.
Old 12/11/12, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue here too on my 2013 GT so just use my iPhone and Pandora. IHeart radio isn't supported on my phone and Sync either. Bummer too because I like that better.
Old 12/11/12, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Viciousjay
easy fix

1. Go to passenger side kick panel and pull the plastic piece off

2. behind the kick panel will be a velcro padding, undo it and behind there is a fuse panel

3. pull fuse #3 for about 2 min

4. replace fuse and turn the car on to the on position and and sync your ipod, if it works then put it all back together, if not pull the fuse and wait 5 min
also is a boss different? or was it just dark? I didn't see a fuse panel under the kick panel.
Old 12/12/12, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

Hi Jeff,

I was getting the exact same indexing forever behavior on my Boss too. Didn't really have that many songs either on my 16g iPhone 4, only 2100.

I also tried the stupid pull the battery move and it only provided temporary relief. You don't have to do any of this stuff, you can just go through the menus in the radio to do the Sync master reset. I think they buried the option under the Phone menu, scroll through the options there and you will find it. I haven't had any further issues since I did this over a month ago.

One other thing I also try and do is to have my iPhone plugged into the USB jack before starting the car instead of plugging it in after the radio is on. Not sure if this has any effect at all on preventing the indexing issue, but so far so good.
Old 12/12/12, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Switch to Android
Old 12/12/12, 09:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've considered switching myself to avoid the sync conflicts with my iPhone but I am grandfathered into unlimited data with AT&T. I am too much of a phone ***** to give that up.
Old 12/12/12, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Switch to Android
Great solution. Buy (downgrade) yourself a terrible phone to reconcile for the lack of support on Ford's end. This guy gets an A+

Here's the response of a Ford IVT (In Vehicle Team) Tech on the specific issue;

A fuse pull or Master Reset would be the only ways to correct this issue. You could always stop by a Ford dealer and ask them to pull the fuse for you.

My suggestion, head to the SyncMyRide website and be sure to check if their are any updates that you can do. You'll need a flash drive to apply the update, but it may help. Also, people say the fuse pull works better than a battery disconnect or Master Reset.
Old 12/12/12, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

downgrade? lol wut
Old 12/12/12, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rando
downgrade? lol wut
There is no piece of hardware running android in the market right now that is better than an iPhone. Fact. Go look at some benchmarks and get back to us.

If you're having trouble finding some, I took the liberty of google searching it for you (I know that can be a daunting task).

http://www.androidauthority.com/ipho...better-117284/
Old 12/13/12, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Must have took Siri a while to get those results. Hardware benchmarks haven't mattered since 2001. This is a software generation. A perfect example is you can pick up any Android phone and iPhone and see similar results regarding scrolling and FPS on games. It's simply a wash. PS3 has 3x better bench marks than the Xbox 360 but the 360 has better games and more users. Why is that? Software. This is coming from a PS3 owner/advocate.

Call me when you get the following features;

Have you ever had déjà, déjà, déjà, déjà vu?? Apple hasn't innovated on it's platform in years. I know you have an undying need to defend your phone/purchase, but sometimes you have to admit defeat. The iPhone and all Apple products are nothing more than a smug status symbol.

Last edited by Rando; 12/13/12 at 07:39 AM.
                                        Old 12/13/12, 08:23 AM
                                        Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
                                        I believe that technology wise the android phones are superior and more capable overall. I believe that the iPhone interface is more user friendly. I have owned both and worked in cell phone sales for years. While I don't have the technological knowledge some here have, I do have over a decades experience of selling, training, and speaking with purchasers of these devices.

I purchased the iPhone because its dummy friendly. Everything works the way you would guess it would if you didn't read a manual. That comforts me. I think dismissing it as a status symbol is wrong. Every device has a user base it caters to. I think both are good devices much in the same way I think the challenger and camaro are great cars even though I own a mustang.
                                        Old 2/3/13, 12:19 PM
                                        Mach 1 Member

I was having issues with My I-pod. there are many reasons for them not to work properly. You can contact apple and they can help. What I do is reset the I-pod and it works. Unplug it. flip the top switch to orange (lock) then back to black (unlock).. hold the center and the menu button for about 30 seconds until the apple appears on your screen then it will reboot and plug it back in. there is also a way to reset the sync from the radio but I forget how. The dealer will know.
                                        Electronics. A device to make our life easier while frustrating anyone old than the age of childhood.