Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Suspension Squeak.....Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/14, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Suspension Squeak.....Seriously?

Ok, I have a 5 week old GT Premium that has this same suspension squeak that so many others are experiencing. Is it really that hard for Ford to figure this out?

I took my car to the dealer on April 1st at 8am. That was my scheduled appointment time. They said it could take about 1-1.5 hours to have an idea of what the issue is, so I waited in the lounge. At 9:40, I went to the service writer and asked for an update so I can determine what I should do. Mind you, the entire time I was there, my car sat in the service parking lot and was never looked at. They said that they were finishing up the orders from the day before and needed more time. I wish they would have told me this when I dropped it off!!!

When I went to pick up the car, they asked if they could keep it overnight. I said I needed the car and asked why. They said that as they were bringing the car around, they heard the squeak still there after replacing the LCAs. They would not offer me a loaner because I didn't purchase the extended warranty when I bought the car! I need to mention that Chevrolet has always offered a loaner if they needed to keep my car overnight for warranty repairs.

Today, the car went in again for the squeak at 8am. They call me at 4:15 to ask if they can keep the car overnight because they can't really hear the squeak. I asked when they started working on the car because the squeak can be heard immediately after it moves. The service writer heard it just fine when they brought the car around to me. She even asked if that was the squeak. It can be heard from 100+ feet away! So now the dealer has had the car for 20 hours and only the LCA was replaced. They asked me to bring it back tomorrow. This is ridiculous! The best part is that I told my son to check the car closely because they jacked it incorrectly the last time and scratched up the paint on the bottom of the rockers and I found two dents in the top of the fender. I fixed the dents, but didn't want to have to do this again. This time, we found one of the lug nut openings has the paint worn thru to the bare aluminum on the Brembo wheels. I know for a fact that they were perfect when I took it to them because they are new rims that I just cleaned and manually waxed. They said they will see what needs to be done to repair the rim. I WANT A NEW RIM PEOPLE!!!! This is a new car, I don't want parts of it repainted already!

Sorry for my rant, but I needed to complain. Has anybody found even the slightest idea what is causing the suspension squeak? I think the dealer needs help here.
Old 4/22/14, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have the same problem but mine has 12,000 miles on it.. The dealership where i went is very good to me i got the back in 4 hours since they have to order the parts the same day..
Old 4/22/14, 06:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ion_arch
We have the same problem but mine has 12,000 miles on it.. The dealership where i went is very good to me i got the back in 4 hours since they have to order the parts the same day..
by the way they replaced sway bar links in the rear.. Hope this help
Old 4/22/14, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Demand a new rim. That is BS. If they refinish it, the paint will never match. It is a 3 stage paint - black, under silver under clear. I hate bringing my car for service just because of stuff like this.
I thought the suspension squeak was determined to be bad LCA bushings that get heated up from their proximity to the cats. They replaced both sides?

Last edited by 88lx50; 4/22/14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 4/23/14, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

How convenient! I just got a call from the service advisor at the dealership to inform me that they found the problem. They said the rear axle on the driver's side is causing the squeak. The parts will be in later today, but they won't be able to finish the job today. My question is "why not?" I've seen rear axles get swapped out and it doesn't look like it's that big of a deal for a dealership to accomplish in a timely manner.

The best part is that they said the technician never removed the rim from the car yesterday so the damage wasn't done by him. They had the car for 10 hours, the driver's side rear axle is bad and coincidentally, the driver's side rear rim is the one that's damaged! Now I have to see if I can get the rim warrantied as defective. The damage was done by a high impact tool because the finish is completely removed and is as smooth as the rest of the rim. Any tools used by joe car owner will more than likely be hand tools that will scratch and gouge the surface if you're not careful. This dealership has lost my trust and I must now find another!
Old 4/23/14, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

The car is back home and it appears to be fixed. They replaced the drivers side axle. I will let you guys know if this is long term or temporary.
Old 4/23/14, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

What about the rim?
Old 4/23/14, 07:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Uggh I need to stop looking at these threads. I noticed a squeak lately. However, mine occurs with light brake pressure. With only 8k on the OD, I image it's just rust or dirt under the pad. Still, enough to drive you jack Nicholson crazy!
Old 4/24/14, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

The rim is still up in the air. I told them I know it wasn't damaged when I brought the car in, but they are standing firm that the rear tire wasn't removed prior to replacing the rear axle. So, it's my word against theirs. I proposed that they satisfy the customer and if the damage is there on a new car and neither of us did it, it must be a factory defect. The service admin submitted pictures to Ford for a potential warranty replacement.
Attached Images  
Old 4/24/14, 07:22 AM

Is that a chip on the rim or a black spot under the clear coat?
Old 4/24/14, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

It's perfectly smooth and appears to be worn down to the paint below. The only thing to wear down paint that far in such a small area and still be so smooth would be an impact gun at high speed. Hand tools will scratch or gouge, but the edge won't be perfectly smooth. This damaged area is worn thru the clear coat.
Old 4/24/14, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't see that happening at the factory. They have a tool that tightens all the lugs at the same time, and does not touch the edge of the rim like that. I think someone at the dealership is not being completely honest. (shocker) I hope they do the right thing and replace it. I know you from over on TGO and I know how particular you are with your cars.
Old 4/24/14, 09:25 AM

Discount tire did that to the wheels on my V6. Same spot and look. Thats why I asked. I ended up getting touch up paint.
Old 4/24/14, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
I know you from over on TGO and I know how particular you are with your cars.
Me? Particular with my cars? You might have me confused with someone else.

The fact that these things cost so much, I plan on trying to keep them as long as I can. This car will be my sons car so I want to give him something that is in as close to perfect condition as possible. If it goes down hill from there, that's on him. He never had any interest in washing or cleaning mom's car even though he drives it everywhere he needs to go (with a permit only), but now that he knows this will be his car, he asked me to teach him how to wash, wax and detail the car. He's been vacuuming it every week and it's hardly driven!
Old 4/24/14, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotta teach him how to pop out those dents too!
Old 5/1/14, 07:56 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Ok, I have a 5 week old GT Premium that has this same suspension squeak that so many others are experiencing. Is it really that hard for Ford to figure this out? ...
Hello scottmoyer,

I’m happy to get this experience documented for you. Just PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 5/1/14, 02:57 PM

Does anybody know if and when ford updated the LCA's in new car production. I have a 14 Mustang GT with an August 13 build date.
Old 5/7/14, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by pss3286
Does anybody know if and when ford updated the LCA's in new car production. I have a 14 Mustang GT with an August 13 build date.
Are you experiencing this concern, pss3286? If so, I recommend you bring it in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out. Then PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 5/9/14, 06:56 AM

I don't have any noise issues at this time. I did check my car and it doesn't have the heat shields. I was just curious if Ford installed the new LCA's with heat shields in new production cars. Thank you for the response.
Old 5/21/14, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by pss3286
I don't have any noise issues at this time. I did check my car and it doesn't have the heat shields. I was just curious if Ford installed the new LCA's with heat shields in new production cars. Thank you for the response.
I just saw this, pss3286. You're welcome!

Deysha

Quick Reply: Suspension Squeak.....Seriously?