Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Severe 2011 5.0 issue

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/11, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Severe 2011 5.0 issue

I will post the entire ticket when the dealer is finished.
If you own a 2011 gt with 5.0 built in June and have a knocking sound felt through the gear shift, it is not normal operation as ford has told many people so far. The knocking, is actually coming from the rear of the engine and if you pop your head under the car while it is acting up, it is pretty obvious to me at least, what the issue is.
It will get worse, as the car adds mile, and also will use alot of oil.
Take it in right away!
Don't let them tell you it's normal or breaking in!!
Once I have the finished ticket, I will tell everyone the whole story.
As far as I know this is limited to gt's built in June.

Other then that, I luv my stang....lol
Old 1/25/11, 05:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine was built in June and she doesn't make a peep, but still I'm curious to hear what happened with yours.
Old 1/25/11, 08:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ok///
Old 1/25/11, 09:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fungusthestangman
I will post the entire ticket when the dealer is finished.
If you own a 2011 gt with 5.0 built in June and have a knocking sound felt through the gear shift, it is not normal operation as ford has told many people so far. The knocking, is actually coming from the rear of the engine and if you pop your head under the car while it is acting up, it is pretty obvious to me at least, what the issue is.
It will get worse, as the car adds mile, and also will use alot of oil.
Take it in right away!
Don't let them tell you it's normal or breaking in!!
Once I have the finished ticket, I will tell everyone the whole story.
As far as I know this is limited to gt's built in June.

Other then that, I luv my stang....lol
So then what is your "assumption" of what is happening since you won't say until you get the ticket? You kind of set us up here. Thanks for the warning but on the other hand, thanks for nothing.
Old 1/25/11, 12:57 PM

I don't like assuming until I'm positive but...

They are still jumping through hoops for ford, trying to get the ok to swap it. Since they won't let them tear it down, my assumption is a misbalanced crankshaft causing main bearing failure. The evidence would be the knocking of course, and the leaking rear main, and the fact it needs to be hot. Its honestly the first failure here, but I have read on the forums, others having this issue. It's not a tick like the right bank sound, it's an obvious knock heard at idle, that can be felt at the rear of the motor and through the gear shift. Alot of service writers and customers are probrably mistakenly assuming it's a transmission issue. I currently have 1600 miles on it. Kinda sucks cause now I have to break it in again... Was going to drive the backspace all the way to Tona and now I won't be able to play with it
Old 1/25/11, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I dunno it really does sound like a tranny issue based on your feeling it through the shifter. It's a stick I assume? There have been issues with the flex plate bolts backing out and causing all sorts of weird problems to happen.

If the vibration is bad enough it will obviously cause failure of the rear main.

Last edited by BlackOut2k11; 1/25/11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 1/25/11, 04:13 PM

Transmission causing failure

Though that is a possibility, the knock vibration is being transferred from the engine to the transmission, I would assume by way of the bell housing. The reason is that it is only noticeable at idle and when you no matter if the tranny is engaged or not. Pluss the tranny has already been removed to because it was tough to tell if it was the engine or the trans. Ford, of course is throwing a battery of senseless test to try to not have to change the motor, which is understandable, because I still have yet to meet the ford engineer with any common sense. Like I said, this is all just guessing, which I hate to do until they are all finished. If you heard the knocking sound, and have even the smallest amount of experience, or are 20 year heavy tech, it's obvious it's a bottom Side issue. I should've recorded the sound and thrown it up on you tube.
Old 1/25/11, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

i guess the REALLY important thing is, well.... is it covered? and if so whats the big deal? my car has been great so far, even though its been sitting in storage for the last 2 months. if it blows up? its covered right? with 1600 miles i cant see why not.
Attached Thumbnails Severe 2011 5.0 issue-img00148-20100916-1745.jpg   Severe 2011 5.0 issue-img00177-20101017-1403.jpg   Severe 2011 5.0 issue-img00149-20100916-1745.jpg   Severe 2011 5.0 issue-img00116-20100907-1800.jpg   Severe 2011 5.0 issue-img00120-20100907-1801.jpg  

Last edited by hahnsolo78; 1/25/11 at 04:38 PM.
Old 1/25/11, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically

So then what is your "assumption" of what is happening since you won't say until you get the ticket? You kind of set us up here. Thanks for the warning but on the other hand, thanks for nothing.
Well hes going to tell us exactly what it is once he gets the ticket. But it would help if he gave us his assumtion though
Old 1/25/11, 05:29 PM

Yeagh it's totally covered

That's why I'm not sweating it, it's the first year of the 5.0, issues like mine will arise. Something as small as an assumed allowable tolerance being too high at the factory on a c&c machine... You never know, if it were out for 5 years, I would be a little concerned, but ford is covering it. It just always takes a while for them to scrap a motor. Because engineers are versed in theory, not common sense. Plus if I owned ford the last thing I would want to do is be wrong changing out a $7000 part. My only issue is that them originally calling a motor that could theoretically end up getting me stranded, a breakin sound, and the fact I was so close to being able to start playing with it, and now I have to baby her again....
Old 1/25/11, 06:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL you've got me worried now look at my build date.

I haven't heard any knocking. And I've got 6000 mi. I need a TSB before I take it in or else they'll charge me some diagnostic check or something
Old 1/25/11, 09:15 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, thanks for posting this issue. I have a 2011 GT with the 6 speed auto and 3.15 rear. I also feel the vibration through the shifter. Mine doesn't leak oil though. Its possible that the 2-1 downshift clunk is related to this problem. It does feel like the clunk comes from around the middle where the motor and tranny connect.

Looking forward to your results.
Old 1/25/11, 11:06 PM

Don't sweat it

The knocking was very hard to hear but has been doing it since it had 150 miles on it. So I would assume if you haven't herd it with 6000 miles on it, I'm sure your fine.
Old 1/25/11, 11:18 PM

I forgot to post my car.... Lol 2011 built in June, gt premium 400a black/black 6 speed...
Ill add pics after I add the upgrades, Which will be b&g springs, inky falcon 20/10, 20/8.5, and I haven't decided on the dampeners yet.. Also bassini exhaust, and x-pipe. I'll tune it my self after that, heard it's a real pain to custom tune, but should be fun. My goal is 430 at the rears. This motor dyno'd 373 at the rears so I'm sure I'll have to do some intake work also..
Old 1/26/11, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fungusthestangman
I forgot to post my car.... Lol 2011 built in June, gt premium 400a black/black 6 speed...
Ill add pics after I add the upgrades, Which will be b&g springs, Enkei falcon 20/10, 20/8.5, and I haven't decided on the dampeners yet.. Also Bassani exhaust, and x-pipe. I'll tune it my self after that, heard it's a real pain to custom tune, but should be fun. My goal is 430 at the rears. This motor dyno'd 373 at the rears so I'm sure I'll have to do some intake work also..
Fixed.

Glad to see that the issue is getting sorted. Any news on the mechanics report of the problem?
Old 1/26/11, 09:37 AM

Finally got the ok to tear it down

Today they are pulling the oil pan. However they can not go any further then that, ie looking at the mains.... I am glad I am no longer a tech, how do you make any money if you have to call ford on every bolt you remove. Maybe they will pull there heads out there *** and let him take a look. Seriously, what are you going to see by just pulling a pan on a car with 1500 miles on it? If they do get to take a look at the mains, I will let everyone know the results.
Old 1/26/11, 01:52 PM

Question Problem found!!

This is what the tech and engineer informed me so please pay close attention because it is very technical...lol "this ***** is fried" and " there is enough metal in the pan to build a new motor". The problem has not been determined, and will not be as they have Ben told to button it up and ship it back.
Don't want to make it worse, but there were no 5.0's left to obtain and had to be ordered from the factory.
I hate assuming, but if you put 2 and 2 together, ford must have had a major factory issue on the 5.0 which I'm sure we will hear about in the coming months, or maybe they are producing one car for every engine, which is hard to believe, but possible.
Old 1/26/11, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So are they shipping back just the engine, or the whole car? Any idea how long you'll be without your car now?

Any chance they can give you a loaner while it's down?
Old 1/26/11, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the head up, I think Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I just looked and my build date is 3 Jun 10. I have 6500 miles on her and have changed the oil once, at 3000 miles. So far no issues. All of a sudden I am happy I bought the ESP.
Old 1/26/11, 04:10 PM

The whole car? Never heard of that happening. Just the engine. They offered a loaner, but I have another car, and a fiesta ain't my style....lol The motor only takes a day to replace, maybe a little more I'd your slow. The real time issue is the fact they had to order it so it wont be here til wed, they told me I would have it back next Friday. To me it's know big deal to me, being the family member of retired gm workers, and while I was growing up, I was witness to the mess the ls1 was when it was first introduced, as well as a drivability tech in flint mi. I can tell you our heavy guy dragged in major bank back then swappin all those "proud union member built" piles of um engine. But after a few months it was no longer an issue, but I must admit I missed the old 350 cause them quality built intake gaskets, and distributors were my bread and butter....

Quick Reply: Severe 2011 5.0 issue