Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

A plethora of SYNC issues

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/11, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A plethora of SYNC issues

I've been having some issues for a while now with my non-nav SYNC system that seem to happen at random. Here's everything that's going on:

1. About a quarter of the time when I start up my car, the radio will be on FM when I had left it playing music from my iPod the last time I shut it off. At the same time it will not connect automatically to my cell phone. I try to push the Aux button which will do nothing and try to push the phone button which does nothing as well. After driving my car for a few minutes I am finally able to access the phone menu and connect my phone. I am also finally able to open up the Aux menu to go back to my iPod.

2. About half the time when I start up my car I immediately get a message on the radio screen, "USB Removed". I then have to go through the menu and select SYNC USB to go back to the iPod. On some occasions it will give me the error message "No USB Device Found" so I have to unplug the iPod and re plug it in before it will recognize it.

3. On random occasions I will have the worst time getting SYNC to understand me when using the phone menu. With the fan off and windows up I will ask it to call the simplest of names (e.g. "Call Home") and it will not call the right person despite multiple attempts speaking multiple ways.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues. I'm driving a 2012 V6 Premium. I've taken it in to the dealership I work at but they were "unable to find any issues" and said there were not TSBs out on it. I checked this myself a couple of days ago through OASIS.

A few things the techs had me test when I first took it in was to plug my iPod and phone into another V6 Premium Mustang we had and see if I had the same issues. I did not. I've even bought a new cord for the iPod. I'm using the latest generation iPod nano and my phone is the Galaxy Nexus. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12/27/11, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

1 and 2 happen to me all the time as well. Haven't figured out a solution yet and updating to the newest software didn't help.
Old 12/27/11, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
1 and 2 happen to me all the time as well. Haven't figured out a solution yet and updating to the newest software didn't help.
Yeah, I thought that may be a solution but according to syncmyride.com my car has the latest version of SYNC so no updates show for me.
Old 12/27/11, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same thing as #1. But shutting the radio off and back on usually fixes it. As for the ipod, maybe try a different usb cable? For #3, have you trained sync to your voice? I had that issue with my Fusion Sport and it was extremely frustrating.
Old 12/27/11, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hytek
I have the same thing as #1. But shutting the radio off and back on usually fixes it. As for the ipod, maybe try a different usb cable? For #3, have you trained sync to your voice? I had that issue with my Fusion Sport and it was extremely frustrating.
I've tried the radio shut off and it did nothing for me. I actually pulled over to the side of the road one time it was doing it and shut the car off, opened the door so the whole system went off, and started it back up and it still wouldn't go to Aux or the phone.

I was getting the problem using the stock iPod cable and thought it might have been bad so I bought another (not made by Apple) and still had the problem.

I'm using the non-nav SYNC, can you train it to your voice on that system?
Old 12/27/11, 12:00 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have SYNC, so I don't know this for sure. Have you tried disconnecting the iPod before shutting off the car? What happens then? The way I read 1&2, the system may be thinking the iPod suddenly disappeared and doesn't know how to handle it.
Old 12/27/11, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I don't have SYNC, so I don't know this for sure. Have you tried disconnecting the iPod before shutting off the car? What happens then? The way I read 1&2, the system may be thinking the iPod suddenly disappeared and doesn't know how to handle it.

Haven't tried that, but I dont consider that a solution anyways. I should not have to disconnect my ipod all the time. Just as a further thought, I am using an older iPod video, with a hard drive in it. I am wondering if it has something to do with the spin up time of the hard drive.

For problem 1, its clearly the sync module computer not starting up correctly, which is unexcusable in my option, but its a Microsoft product, so what else is new.
Old 12/27/11, 12:46 PM

with Mike about it being an issue with SYNC not starting up correctly. It's just incredibly frustrating as the service techs won't do anything because there are no TSBs out on it.
Old 12/27/11, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nick_silver
I've tried the radio shut off and it did nothing for me. I actually pulled over to the side of the road one time it was doing it and shut the car off, opened the door so the whole system went off, and started it back up and it still wouldn't go to Aux or the phone.

I was getting the problem using the stock iPod cable and thought it might have been bad so I bought another (not made by Apple) and still had the problem.

I'm using the non-nav SYNC, can you train it to your voice on that system?
Definitely sounds like your sync is having issues. I've never tried the voice training process in mine so I'm not sure if it's different from nav to non-nav. I can check the manual in a little bit.
Old 12/27/11, 02:31 PM

I have all 3 issues as well. #1 and 2 happen very occasionally (maybe once a month), while #3 happens every time I try to use the phone. Doesn't matter if I'm saying "Call john doe", or "dial 12345", there are always problems. I actually had another thread open regarding issue #3, and as far as everyone there can tell, there is no TSB for a mic or software upgrade to fix the issues.

As a side note, when I had an F150, there were tons of problems with the Sync mics (which I didn't have), and they ended up issuing a TSB to relocate the mic in the truck for people who were having trouble... Who knows if that is in the Mustang's future.
Old 12/27/11, 03:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Some issues here as well. Just yesterday, it pretended my ipod was no longer hooked up (even though it WAS working just fine). Had to do an uplug/plug exercise. After that it simply refused to hear the voice command. Almost like the microphone was broken. Still haven tried it since to see if it's better.

I was saying (then screaming) "play artist..." and it repeatedly gave me that retarded "bum-bum" sound, practically interrupting me, then saying "You can say, 'play track', 'play artist', 'play album'....". I arrived home and gave up. Didn't have these problems with my 2011, except for when I had the top down on the 2011 and had tons of wind noise.
Old 12/27/11, 06:23 PM

Ugh, just did issue #1 a little bit ago when I was backing the car out to vacuum it. So frustrating, I love this car to death but the SYNC issues just drive me nuts.
Old 12/28/11, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

At least you have it documented with Ford service. I'm betting it's a software issue, and will get resolved (assuming others that are having the same issue report it to Ford). Keep the service records, so if the problem is not resolved when your warranty expires, you have proof that you tried to get it fixed under warranty.

This post prompted me to go to the SYNC site (http://syncsupport.ford.com/servlet/...ctivation-sync), register (create an account), then checked for any SYNC updates (there were none). Hopefully, those that read this post and have some or all the issues you have will get their vehicle to a Ford service department and have it logged. This is how Ford creates TSP's. They won't do it unless it's a widespread issue. I would suggest that everyone do this (report the fault with your local Ford service department).

Last edited by Bucko; 12/28/11 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12/28/11, 06:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought that forum user FordIVTteam monitored posts. Perhaps a callout to this person might help.
Old 12/28/11, 07:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
At least you have it documented with Ford service. I'm betting it's a software issue, and will get resolved (assuming others that are having the same issue report it to Ford). Keep the service records, so if the problem is not resolved when your warranty expires, you have proof that you tried to get it fixed under warranty.

This post prompted me to go to the SYNC site (http://syncsupport.ford.com/servlet/...ctivation-sync), register (create an account), then checked for any SYNC updates (there were none). Hopefully, those that read this post and have some or all the issues you have will get their vehicle to a Ford service department and have it logged. This is how Ford creates TSP's. They won't do it unless it's a widespread issue. I would suggest that everyone do this (report the fault with your local Ford service department).
One word: Intermittent. That is the problem. The issues happen enough that they are very annoying. But are they worth the logistical inconvenience of making an appointment and leaving the car at the dealer for a day to have them say "no problem found" or "could not replicate issue"? It would be FAR better if these events were constant/consistent. The optimist in me keeps hoping that after the last time Sync "fixes" itself there will be no more trouble.
Old 12/28/11, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

I see your point. Intermittant faults are aggravating to both us and the service techs too. I am an optimist, and think the techs will figure it out and get a fix for it. We can help by documenting these issues. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 12/28/11, 01:24 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I thought that forum user FordIVTteam monitored posts. Perhaps a callout to this person might help.
Here I am. I was out of the office on Monday for the holiday so I spent yesterday trying to get caught up.

Originally Posted by nick_silver
I've been having some issues for a while now with my non-nav SYNC system that seem to happen at random. Here's everything that's going on:

1. About a quarter of the time when I start up my car, the radio will be on FM when I had left it playing music from my iPod the last time I shut it off. At the same time it will not connect automatically to my cell phone. I try to push the Aux button which will do nothing and try to push the phone button which does nothing as well. After driving my car for a few minutes I am finally able to access the phone menu and connect my phone. I am also finally able to open up the Aux menu to go back to my iPod.

2. About half the time when I start up my car I immediately get a message on the radio screen, "USB Removed". I then have to go through the menu and select SYNC USB to go back to the iPod. On some occasions it will give me the error message "No USB Device Found" so I have to unplug the iPod and re plug it in before it will recognize it.

3. On random occasions I will have the worst time getting SYNC to understand me when using the phone menu. With the fan off and windows up I will ask it to call the simplest of names (e.g. "Call Home") and it will not call the right person despite multiple attempts speaking multiple ways.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues. I'm driving a 2012 V6 Premium. I've taken it in to the dealership I work at but they were "unable to find any issues" and said there were not TSBs out on it. I checked this myself a couple of days ago through OASIS.

A few things the techs had me test when I first took it in was to plug my iPod and phone into another V6 Premium Mustang we had and see if I had the same issues. I did not. I've even bought a new cord for the iPod. I'm using the latest generation iPod nano and my phone is the Galaxy Nexus. Any help would be appreciated!

Just to confirm, do you have software version 4.0.2 installed?

I recommend performing a soft reset to your iPod and a Master Reset on the SYNC system.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1320

Master Reset:

1. Press PHONE to enter the PHONE MENU.
2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.
3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS menu.
4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.
5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display
6. Press OK.

In regards to your phone, I suggest a process called Reverse Pairing. Some phones are known to hold a better connection when paired this way. Instead of your Phone finding SYNC, SYNC will find your phone. Below are instructions for how to perform this on both a standard radio and a navigation system, in case anyone else wants to try it out:

Reverse Pairing (standard radio):

1. Press the phone button to access the phone menu
2. Scroll to ADD DEVICE and press OK
3. The screen will display Find SYNC and begin giving instructions, instead of following the instructions, scroll up or to the left one time.
4. It should now display FIND DEVICES
5. Press OK and SYNC will find your phone
6. Select your phone from the list of nearby devices and press OK
7. It will ask for a PIN. Speak 1-2-3-4 as if you were giving a command.
8. The system will repeat the PIN, then press OK
9. Your phone will ask for a PIN number, enter the same one (1-2-3-4), and press OK.

Master Reset (Navigation radio):

1. Press the phone button on the radio.
2. Select SETTINGS.
3. Select ADVANCED.
4. Scroll down to MASTER RESET.

Reverse Pairing (
Navigation radio):

1. Press the phone button to access the phone menu
2. Select SETTINGS
3. Select ADD
4. Select FIND OTHER DEVICES
5. Select your phone from the list of devices SYNC finds
6. You will be prompted to enter a PIN using the keypad on your screen, enter 1-2-3-4
7. Your phone will ask for a PIN number, enter the same one you entered on your vehicle
8. After pressing OK or enter on your phone, they will attempt to make the connection

Originally Posted by Hytek
Definitely sounds like your sync is having issues. I've never tried the voice training process in mine so I'm not sure if it's different from nav to non-nav. I can check the manual in a little bit.
The voice training option in only available on vehicles equipped with the navigation system.

If anyone has additional questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Jaclyn

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 12/28/11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12/28/11, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

I really like having Jacclyn on this site!
Old 12/28/11, 02:06 PM

Thanks Jaclyn! I will try all of that out a bit later today and report back.
Old 12/28/11, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

My Sync microphone continued to ignore me again today so I did the Master Reset (prior to seeing the above, just 'sniffed' it out on the radio, starting with the "Menu" and "Phone" buttons). That did the trick!! Had to re-aquaint my iphone with the radio via bluetooth. And had to unplug and re-plug my ipod. But I didn't have to reset my Sirius radio presets, which is a plus. And best of all, the Master reset seems to have done the trick.

So far.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 12/28/11 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: A plethora of SYNC issues