Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clattering Noise Cold Start Up (2011 V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/10, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clattering Noise Cold Start Up (2011 V-6)

This morning my wife started her 2011 V-6 Mustang (~3000 miles) and for about 15-30 seconds it made a loud ticking noise (sounded like a stuck lifter). Noise went away after about a half a minute, but just hearing it gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm gonna check each morning for the noise and if it happens again (like tomorrow morning), I guess we're in for a trip to the dealer.

Wonderful. Just f**cking wonderful.
Old 8/26/10, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I recall reading something about this problem with the new 5.0. Same situation, and Ford had the dealer put an additive in the the engine, and all was well. You might try a search for the thread. I will go back and see if I can find it.
Old 8/26/10, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Ok, I found it..here is the link:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/bl...e-tick-486591/
Old 9/10/10, 12:58 PM

Did you ever hear the noise again?
Old 9/11/10, 08:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2bravo
Did you ever hear the noise again?

Some mornings we hear it... some mornings we don't. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because if it chooses not to make the noise, then it's a wasted trip and even if it does make the noise, Ford has released no TSB on the issue yet, so the dealer won't know what to do.
Old 9/11/10, 08:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Take it to your dealer. My V-6 doesn't do this. Mine doesn't even make a clattering sound on the first start after i change my oil. I have 2,500 miles on mine.
Old 9/12/10, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

another post about this issue

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ticking-sound-485247/

i would take it in
Old 10/7/10, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Taking it in on Monday.....
Old 10/12/10, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Update - First the dealer said they couldn't hear anything. This morning, the service manager, shop foreman, and I listened to the wife's Mustang and then compared it to a Mustang on the lot. You can hear a "tapping" sound (on the wife's car) even after the car has run for a bit. Now they're gonna call Ford today and see if Ford has any suggestions as to what to do.
Old 10/14/10, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Update #2 - Ford has instructed the dealer shop to remove the cam covers, take a bunch of measurements, and send the data back to Ford.
Old 10/15/10, 06:54 AM
GT Member

Dealership service department called. Said the mechanic reports that there's visual damage to two of the valve followers. He's sent all the measurements to Ford along with the report of the damage and they're waiting for further instructions from Ford.

I hope this is a "one off" failure and is not indicative of a design fault in the Mustang 3.7L motor. The valve followers/actuation were one of the items that were redesigned for the Mustang application of this motor.
Old 10/15/10, 10:07 AM
GT Member

WARNING - FORD HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 3.7 MOTOR

Just got off the phone with the Ford dealer. Ford now says they are aware of a problem with the 3.7L V-6 with regards to early failure of the followers. They have no solution and they have instructed the dealership to put the (damaged) engine back together and give the car back to us until they figure out a fix. Thanks for nothing Ford! I guess they didn't have enough money to do real testing and their business model is that the Ford customer will do their durability testing for them. Meanwhile we're stuck with a brand new car (~6K miles) that has a bum engine. Ford just lost a customer forever.

Last edited by tr6nut; 10/15/10 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10/15/10, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

This seems like a very important thread for the new V6 owners.

ADMIN.. can this be made a sticky. I am sure the OP isn't the only one with this problem.
Old 10/19/10, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Just got off the phone with the zone rep. She was no help. She says Ford wants us to take the broken car home and they'll get back to me when they have a fix. We asked for the contact info for her superior and she refused to give it to us. I really hate attorneys, but it's looking like we may be headed that way. If anyone has any contact info (phone or email) for anyone in Ford who can make a decision, please PM me.
Old 10/19/10, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
Just got off the phone with the zone rep. She was no help. She says Ford wants us to take the broken car home and they'll get back to me when they have a fix. We asked for the contact info for her superior and she refused to give it to us. I really hate attorneys, but it's looking like we may be headed that way. If anyone has any contact info (phone or email) for anyone in Ford who can make a decision, please PM me.
There is a huge thread at all ford mustangs about the tick in the 5.0. Last I read everybody was in a holding pattern too. I didnt see anything there about the 3.7. You may want to check that out and I hope you get everything resolved. I know you are frustrated and I would be too. From what I could gather it appears Ford is working on it but does not have a solution just yet.
Old 10/19/10, 02:28 PM
GT Member

I went on Facebook and found the Ford page. Emailed the customer rep who runs the page. She contacted the Ford Operations Manager who called us and offered us some options. He was a breath of fresh air in this whole ordeal. My wife and I will be discussing what to do tonight (which option to choose). I'll post our decision tomorrow after we call him back.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.
Old 10/20/10, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
I went on Facebook and found the Ford page. Emailed the customer rep who runs the page. She contacted the Ford Operations Manager who called us and offered us some options. He was a breath of fresh air in this whole ordeal. My wife and I will be discussing what to do tonight (which option to choose). I'll post our decision tomorrow after we call him back.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.
Please keep us posted. When things get mass produced stuff happens. It does make me wonder sometimes how these things slip by durability testing. But, this is not the old Ford Motor co I remember from the past. They, most of the time, seem genuinely interested and concerned about fixing problems. We had a 79 Mercury Carpi that burned a quart of oil every 700 miles from day one and they said its normal. Well, that cost them countless sales of new cars and trucks over the next 30 years. I think now they realize customer satisfaction is a priority. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10/23/10, 01:25 PM
GT Member

As to the problem with my wife's 2011 V6 Mustang, it looks like progress is being made. Through Facebook (Ford has a Facebook page), I got in touch with a Ford corporate customer service manager, who put me in touch with the Ford Zone Operations Manager. This coming Tuesday, a couple of engineers from Ford are going to travel to the dealership. They are bringing a new tool they have developed that they think will fix the problem. They will attempt to fix the problem using the tool and replace any bad parts. If that does not work, they will replace the cylinder head assembly. If that does not work, Ford has agreed to take back the car and credit us toward a new one (but hopefully one of the first two attempts will fix the problem.)

And, if the repair works, Ford has agreed to extend my vehicle warranty to 5 years / 75,000 miles

Last edited by tr6nut; 10/23/10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10/23/10, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Even though it was through Fords Facebook, it's good that you were able to connect to someone from Ford on your concerns and have a rep follow up.Thats great info for those of us that were not aware of that. It just seems that in this case, you really had to squeak the wheel to get the oil. Looks like Ford is going to see that customer satisfaction is met. Hope everything works out.
Old 10/28/10, 05:02 PM
GT Member

On Tuesday, two engineers from Ford flew out to work on the car. Yesterday, they did some work on it. This morning, they started it up to listen to see if the noise was still present. It was. They have ordered a new engine and have specified to Ford that it come from the "current production run" (this is according to the Ford zone manager). They will be shipping the original engine back to Ford for further analysis.

Quick Reply: Clattering Noise Cold Start Up (2011 V-6)