Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/14, 06:05 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake problems

Ok, had hoped to work this out quickly with the dealer, but maybe the reps on here can help get them going in the right direction.

I have a stock 2012 GTCS with 20k miles.

About two months ago my brakes stated to squeak occasionally. It got worse over time and I had a set of Hawk PC pads so I swapped them out. Two weeks later the squeal returned. I brought it into Ford and the tech said they weren't clocked correctly and had irregular wear causing the squeal. They sanded the rotors and pads and reinstalled. It still didn't explain the squeal before my change, but I've had good experiences with these guys in the past so I left. Two weeks later the squeal comes back.

I bring it in again and the tech says I don't have irregular wear anymore and it will just take time for the pads to wear in. So I take it home. That Sunday I popped the pads off and saw significant uneven wear. Bad enough so it had to be there two days before. So I bring it in a third time.

This time they admit to the uneven wear and swear the brake calipers are fine, I just need new pads (the hawks have less than 500 miles at this point) because the Hawks now have a memory. in order to remove the aftermarket parts as an issue I let them swap them with motor craft pads. Took the car home.

Yesterday the squeal returned again. I have an appointment set for Tuesday, but at this point I'm not confident in a solution. I really don't want to spend more money on brakes either.

Can Deysha or another Ford rep please escalate this for me? I love my mustang, but I'm about done with dealing with this issue.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Brake problems-image-3412993591.jpg   Brake problems-image-1427798395.jpg  
Old 8/1/14, 08:11 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 12GTCS
Ok, had hoped to work this out quickly with the dealer, but maybe the reps on here can help get them going in the right direction.

I have a stock 2012 GTCS with 20k miles.
About two months ago my brakes stated to squeak occasionally. It got worse over time and I had a set of Hawk PC pads so I swapped them out. Two weeks later the squeal returned. I brought it into Ford and the tech said they weren't clocked correctly and had irregular wear causing the squeal. They sanded the rotors and pads and reinstalled. It still didn't explain the squeal before my change, but I've had good experiences with these guys in the past so I left. Two weeks later the squeal comes back.

I bring it in again and the tech says I don't have irregular wear anymore and it will just take time for the pads to wear in. So I take it home. That Sunday I popped the pads off and saw significant uneven wear. Bad enough so it had to be there two days before. So I bring it in a third time.

This time they admit to the uneven wear and swear the brake calipers are fine, I just need new pads (the hawks have less than 500 miles at this point) because the Hawks now have a memory. in order to remove the aftermarket parts as an issue I let them swap them with motor craft pads. Took the car home.

Yesterday the squeal returned again. I have an appointment set for Tuesday, but at this point I'm not confident in a solution. I really don't want to spend more money on brakes either.

Can Deysha or another Ford rep please escalate this for me? I love my mustang, but I'm about done with dealing with this issue.
I’ll get it reviewed for you, 12GTCS. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 8/1/14, 11:52 AM
GT Member

PM Sent, thanks for the help!
Old 8/1/14, 11:44 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rotors should be turned. Have they don't that yet?
Old 8/5/14, 09:32 AM

PM Sent, thanks for the help!
You're welcome, 12GTCS! I sent you a PM yesterday.

Deysha
Old 8/5/14, 10:39 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My 12 GTCS does the same thing. I noticed a rear squeal at 8k and I still have it at 10k. Embarrassing at times.
Old 8/5/14, 10:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Mine squeals at low speeds as well. Not a big deal to me.
Old 8/5/14, 03:02 PM
GT Member

All new pads on the car now. Thanks to Deysha and the Ford customer service team for helping me out.

Brakes should not squeel unless something is wrong.

I'll update after a week....fingers crossed.
Old 8/5/14, 03:51 PM

All new pads on the car now. Thanks to Deysha and the Ford customer service team for helping me out. Brakes should not squeel unless something is wrong. I'll update after a week....fingers crossed.
Mechanics keep telling me it's just the type of pads and that noise is normal with metal making contact to the pads. I'm confused about it all honestly.
Old 8/5/14, 04:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Brake squeal comes and goes on every car I've ever ridden in (owned by myself, friends, family, etc.).
Old 8/5/14, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Brake squeal usually comes from the vibration between the rear of the break pads where there is a metal to metal contact. Brake vibration can not be avoided, to avoid this the rear of the pads should have been greased. Btw my brakes squeal to at low speeds sometimes and i have 13k miles.

OP I don't know if you tried already, if you pull it apart again try putting some brake grease behind the pads. But its under warranty let the dealer do the dirty work. Good luck
Old 8/5/14, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Yep, by the time I brought it to Ford I tried it all, used brake quieter, new anti rattle clips, etc.

Ford replaced all four pads, we will see if that does it. They were perfectly silent for the first 19k miles. All my mustangs have had quiet brakes until this one....still love it though.
Old 8/5/14, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Brake squeal usually comes from the vibration between the rear of the break pads where there is a metal to metal contact. Brake vibration can not be avoided, to avoid this the rear of the pads should have been greased. Btw my brakes squeal to at low speeds sometimes and i have 13k miles. OP I don't know if you tried already, if you pull it apart again try putting some brake grease behind the pads. But its under warranty let the dealer do the dirty work. Good luck
I took mine to the mechanic and he treated the brakes the same way you described. The squeal went away from about two weeks but then returned. I've noticed that the squeaks are more apparent when I use spray tire dressing.

However, I had an 11 V6 and the brakes were quiet as a mouse for 36k before trade in. (Used to soak my aftermarket tires?! Wth?)

Is the squeal just a OEM GT brake thing?
Old 8/6/14, 09:42 AM

All new pads on the car now. Thanks to Deysha and the Ford customer service team for helping me out.

Brakes should not squeel unless something is wrong.

I'll update after a week....fingers crossed.
Awesome! You’re very welcome, 12GTCS!

Deysha
Old 2/17/16, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I'm also having a squealing brake issue with my 2012 Mustang GT Premium. I took it to my dealership Monday and they said the rotors where corroded and they cleaned them. This morning when I was pulling my car out of my garage I hear them squeal again, but not as loud. I'm bringing my car back tomorrow for a Remote Start issue they didn't fix on Monday. Deysha anyway you can help me on this?
Old 2/17/16, 08:27 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Restless2012
Hello, I'm also having a squealing brake issue with my 2012 Mustang GT Premium. I took it to my dealership Monday and they said the rotors where corroded and they cleaned them. This morning when I was pulling my car out of my garage I hear them squeal again, but not as loud. I'm bringing my car back tomorrow for a Remote Start issue they didn't fix on Monday. Deysha anyway you can help me on this?

In high humidity situations, a light coat of rust can form on the rotors overnight. They would then squeal the first time or two you apply the brakes until the rust is gone, and remain quiet after that. Any chance that was the cause of your morning squeal?
Old 2/17/16, 08:51 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
In high humidity situations, a light coat of rust can form on the rotors overnight. They would then squeal the first time or two you apply the brakes until the rust is gone, and remain quiet after that. Any chance that was the cause of your morning squeal?

This happens always no matter what season it is. It can be a bone dry summer day and they still squeal.
Old 2/17/16, 09:33 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Restless2012
This happens always no matter what season it is. It can be a bone dry summer day and they still squeal.

But, do they squeal all the time of only the first few times you use them in the day? If it's all the time, you should have it looked at. If it's just the first time out for the day, I'd say it is normal.
Old 2/17/16, 09:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
But, do they squeal all the time of only the first few times you use them in the day? If it's all the time, you should have it looked at. If it's just the first time out for the day, I'd say it is normal.
Hi SpectreH, They squeal until they warm up, then it goes away. They squealed a bit when I bought the car new too. I lived with it. But it has gotten allot louder recently, I mean allot. I've read many complaints about Mustang brakes and the solution for many was getting aftermarket ceramic brake pads. I'm not going to do that at this time, because I don't need new breaks yet according to my dealership. Plus I find it unacceptable that Ford is using lousy break pads and they do rectify the situation.
Old 2/17/16, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Try permatex ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant, apply to brake pad back plating

Quick Reply: Brake problems