Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

another issue~iPod won't stop indexing!

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/13, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another issue~iPod won't stop indexing!

The last few days I have not been able to listen to my ipod in my car. It keeps indexing over and over again. I didn't do anything for it to begin indexing so I'm not sure what happened. I have tried restarting the ipod but didn't help. Anyone had similar experience?
Old 10/2/13, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sync issue, or just issue with the iPod?
Old 10/2/13, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lakersfreak
The last few days I have not been able to listen to my ipod in my car. It keeps indexing over and over again. I didn't do anything for it to begin indexing so I'm not sure what happened. I have tried restarting the ipod but didn't help. Anyone had similar experience?
Several days ago the system in my wife's Escape went through a 'maintenance' session (by itself, even tho Ford has told me it doesn't do this). First time it did it a year or so ago I didn't notice any issues, but this time I had to take out the USB stick to get it to recognize anything past the first song. So my money says it's a SYNC issue, not your Ipod.
Old 10/2/13, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Sync issue, or just issue with the iPod?
It's not my iPod...At least I dont think it is. Tonight I will plug my wifes iPod and see if it does the same thing. I have no idea why it happened. It was working flawlessly for 6 weeks and then out of nowhere it started "indexing".

This morning I did a master reset on the Sync through the radio in hopes of correcting itself, but it didn't work. Back to indexing.

Can't listen to my music and its sooooooo annoying.
Old 10/2/13, 09:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wonder if disconnecting the battery and draining the ECU may help.
Old 10/2/13, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it an Ipod or and Iphone? With Apple's new software version there have been issues... The Manufacturer I work for sent out a Tech Tip that our vehicles will not be able to accept Apple Version 7 fully until they update the car software. They informed us to expect issues. Not sure if Ford is the same way?...
Old 10/2/13, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Is it an Ipod or and Iphone? With Apple's new software version there have been issues... The Manufacturer I work for sent out a Tech Tip that our vehicles will not be able to accept Apple Version 7 fully until they update the car software. They informed us to expect issues. Not sure if Ford is the same way?...
It's an iPod Classic.....

I want to try the fuse trick but can't seem the find the box. I opened the panel under passenger side but can't locate the fuse box there anywhere.
Old 10/2/13, 11:54 AM
V6 Member

You can also go to SYNC MY RIDE (http://support.ford.com/media/syncmy...pt.html#/home/) and there is a link to a program you can download that is called Sync My ITunes. It will fix all the missing data on your songs in iTunes. May not be the issue but I have a 2013 Escape as well as a 2011 Mustang and it fixed a number of indexing issues as well as the annoying indexing message that it did every time.
Old 10/2/13, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 03GTPNY
You can also go to SYNC MY RIDE (http://support.ford.com/media/syncmy...pt.html#/home/) and there is a link to a program you can download that is called Sync My ITunes. It will fix all the missing data on your songs in iTunes. May not be the issue but I have a 2013 Escape as well as a 2011 Mustang and it fixed a number of indexing issues as well as the annoying indexing message that it did every time.
I already did that and didn't help at all.
Old 10/2/13, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Pulling the battery cable for 10 mins or so will resolve it. After that, have a look at your iPod library. How many duplicate artists and songs do you have? Sync can only cache so much conflicting/confusing data. By that I mean if you have a lot of songs that were ripped from different sources, the metadata could be in different formats, and the problem gets worse if 'problem' songs are repeated in multiple playlists.

There's a bunch of ways to label Led Zepellin II, or Boyz 2 Men, etc, so if you have duplicates, Sync can get cranky. Look through your library and see if you have any suspect labels or funky metadata or tags.
Old 10/3/13, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok so figured it out. After blaming my Sync I decided to try out another iPod. Sure enough it worked fine which meant it was my iPod. I deleted all 6,000 songs on put them back in. This morning I plugged it back in and its working flawlessly once again!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/3/13, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Ok so figured it out. After blaming my Sync I decided to try out another iPod. Sure enough it worked fine which meant it was my iPod. I deleted all 6,000 songs on put them back in. This morning I plugged it back in and its working flawlessly once again!!!!!!!!!!
I bet that was fun. I have a 2007 vintage iPod Classic and its starting to get a little twitchy these days. But like you said once you delete and reset it works great again.
Old 10/3/13, 11:46 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's an iPod Classic.....

I want to try the fuse trick but can't seem the find the box. I opened the panel under passenger side but can't locate the fuse box there anywhere.
Hi again,

I'm glad you were able to get it running smoothly again. Just in case you wanted to locate them in the future, information on fuse location is located on pages 223 - 229 in the 3rd printing of your manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../13musom3e.pdf The SYNC fuse is #3.

Originally Posted by wannabe
Several days ago the system in my wife's Escape went through a 'maintenance' session (by itself, even tho Ford has told me it doesn't do this). First time it did it a year or so ago I didn't notice any issues, but this time I had to take out the USB stick to get it to recognize anything past the first song. So my money says it's a SYNC issue, not your Ipod.
Hey wannabe,

It sounds like your wife has a MyFord Touch system. You may be speaking of a screen that reads "Performing scheduled system maintenance". If you notice this message appearing more often than usual, it can indicate that a master reset is necessary. Here are instructions on the master reset if this is the case: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-myford-touch

Kim
Old 10/3/13, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Have the same issue with my classic, unplugging the battery fixes it, but I'm a lazy bum and for the past week just didn't listen to music. I will take my USB thumb drive and see if it gets any index errors after some time. If it don't I will just use that vs the iPod.
Old 10/3/13, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
Have the same issue with my classic, unplugging the battery fixes it, but I'm a lazy bum and for the past week just didn't listen to music. I will take my USB thumb drive and see if it gets any index errors after some time. If it don't I will just use that vs the iPod.
No need to unplug your battery. I have the iPod Classic too. All i did was wiped everything off of the iPod then put it all back.
Old 10/3/13, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ehhhh, might as well do that, got to install the **** iTunes now.
Old 10/4/13, 12:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Guys just for future reference you do NOT have to unplug your battery to fix Sync issues. I have an ipod Classic and the same thing happens to me every so often. All you need to do is pull and put back the #3 fuse in the car, here's how

Open your passenger door all the way and look down by the floor mat on the right side. There is a door panel there about 1 foot tall.

Reach all the way back, toward the firewall, and pull back on the door, it will fly open. Once its open, pull it out

In the exposed area, the fuse box is closer to the door, its a black box

Grab it and just pull it out, the case will come off and the fuses will be exposed

LOOK INSIDE THE CASE, there is a fuse puller tool.

YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FUSE 3. Its a 15 amp fuse, blue, and its the third from the bottom closest to the door.

Yank it out, wait a minute, and then put it back in.

Start your car and give it a minute or two and try using sync.
Old 10/4/13, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey wannabe,

It sounds like your wife has a MyFord Touch system. You may be speaking of a screen that reads "Performing scheduled system maintenance". If you notice this message appearing more often than usual, it can indicate that a master reset is necessary. Here are instructions on the master reset if this is the case: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-myford-touch

Kim
As of right now, the only issue we're having with the MFT in the Escape is that it will turn the radio on by itself at startup periodically. This has happened since it was new, but at some point it 'fixed' itself so at least we could turn it OFF when it does that now. It used to also just come on by itself randomly driving down the road, but that hasn't happened in a very long time. We haven't had issues with the navigation, and no crazy problems with voice recognition... so I'm hesitant to do ANYTHING with it, lest something that's working now won't be afterward.
Old 10/4/13, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Guys just for future reference you do NOT have to unplug your battery to fix Sync issues. I have an ipod Classic and the same thing happens to me every so often. All you need to do is pull and put back the #3 fuse in the car, here's how

Open your passenger door all the way and look down by the floor mat on the right side. There is a door panel there about 1 foot tall.

Reach all the way back, toward the firewall, and pull back on the door, it will fly open. Once its open, pull it out

In the exposed area, the fuse box is closer to the door, its a black box

Grab it and just pull it out, the case will come off and the fuses will be exposed

LOOK INSIDE THE CASE, there is a fuse puller tool.

YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FUSE 3. Its a 15 amp fuse, blue, and its the third from the bottom closest to the door.

Yank it out, wait a minute, and then put it back in.

Start your car and give it a minute or two and try using sync.
Do you mind posting some pictures please? Even though I don't need it anymore I'd like to know where it is. I opened the door by the passenger door and couldn't find it. I saw a black box, pulled on it and it didn't pop out. I got scarred of breaking it so I stopped.
Old 10/6/13, 10:10 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
As of right now, the only issue we're having with the MFT in the Escape is that it will turn the radio on by itself at startup periodically. This has happened since it was new, but at some point it 'fixed' itself so at least we could turn it OFF when it does that now. It used to also just come on by itself randomly driving down the road, but that hasn't happened in a very long time. We haven't had issues with the navigation, and no crazy problems with voice recognition... so I'm hesitant to do ANYTHING with it, lest something that's working now won't be afterward.
If you're not seeing that message often, a master reset isn't necessary at this point. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, feel free to ask questions. I'm happy to help out where I can.

Kim

Quick Reply: another issue~iPod won't stop indexing!