Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 GT Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/14, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was gettng the oil changed on my dd at the Ford dealership in town and while waiting one of the guys was at the counter so I asked him "Have you heard of the 5.0 developing a louding ticking noise after the first oil change"?...it was kind of funny, for a second he had that deer in the headlights look on his face like...."well do I tell the truth or lie"...he hesitated and said yes he has heard some 5.0's do this but it is considered normal, if it gets too loud bring it in and we will check it out"....I told him I only have 1,000 miles on it and most likely wont be changing it for the first time until after I take it out of storage next spring. So it sounds like they all know about it but have no idea what is causing it. Does every 5.0 develop this or is it hit or miss on our cars?
Old 7/30/14, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, reading different threads from different forums about the same ticking, a lot of people got told it was normal, and other people got a whole new engine out of it. Somebody got it at under 500 miles while other people got it after an oil change. I can tell you my car has about 2100 miles now and I have not changed the oil at all yet.

The only thing I can be relieve about is that no one has claimed any engine failure or performance problems even with a ticking engine.
Old 7/31/14, 06:30 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kanine
Thanks Deysha, I will, I have to wait till end of August though, I need the car as my DD and the dealer stated they did not find anything wrong and the car is fine to drive.
I understand, kanine. Please keep me posted and let me know when you bring it back in.

Deysha
Old 7/31/14, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had two oil changes so far. The first was in April @ 4000 miles. And the second was in July @ 8400 miles. The first oil change had no tick. The second oil change did. The temperature was in the 50's in April ( no AC use) the July one was in the 90's ( lots if AC use. I now have 9500 miles on the car and no tic.
Immediately after the oil change was done I started the car and the tic was really loud. I went back in and told the manager (I thought they might have out 5 quarts in instead of 8.5), but the manager said they heard it before and was "normal". They even showed me the 8 empty bottles of 5w50 (my car has the TP option)

I guess I'll just keep monitoring the posts and wait and see what happens after the next oil change.
Old 7/31/14, 06:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Has anyone located where the noise is coming from. Oil pan exhaust etc? The nosie in The ticking in the video I have on my Race car but it is from the exhaust. Funny how the noise only starts after the oil change. Is yours a Track Pack car? Has anyone found out if the noise only starts on Track pack or not?
Old 7/31/14, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2 oil changes for me and no tick so far (knock on wood). Is everyone with the tick using oem size filter?
Old 7/31/14, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
2 oil changes for me and no tick so far (knock on wood). Is everyone with the tick using oem size filter?

Or same weight?
Old 7/31/14, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Or same weight?
I assume dealer changes would use the correct filter as opposed to some running bigger. I was just wondering. I used 5/20 in the first change and 5/30 in the second. Both pennzoil ultra (technically the second was the ultra platinum natural gas one) both with m1 oem size filter. Both changes were in hot fl summer.
Old 7/31/14, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

typesredline. I'm with you. On all of my cars if the oil filter drain back is not in the filter or not working you get a tick till the engine is running for a bit. If the oil weight is off I have heard a tick till warm. Sounds crazy to me but there seems to be a few with this issue. I know the Ford Dealer buys there oil in bulk and I have never trusted that.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 7/31/14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone located where the noise is coming from. Oil pan exhaust etc? The nosie in The ticking in the video I have on my Race car but it is from the exhaust. Funny how the noise only starts after the oil change. Is yours a Track Pack car? Has anyone found out if the noise only starts on Track pack or not?
I had a little over 2000 miles on my car when I bought it in, I have not changed the oil yet and it started ticking. My car is track pack, I checked to make sure I had enough oil in my car when it started ticking. Other people got it after an oil change, but I got it before I even changed the oil, so I do not know if it is related to an oil change. I remember reading about another person who bought the car new and it started ticking with less than 50 miles, they got a whole new engine out of it.

The tick on my car sounds like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine and from the front where the belts are.
Old 7/31/14, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Just to add a little more info.

I have a track pack
I put in motorcraft both times
5w50 I made sure it was the correct part number motor oil and watched the tech pour it in one quart at a time on first change and saw the empty bottles one the second change.

Tic only happened on second change when it was 90+ degrees out.

I wonder if the they don't fill the oil filter first before screwing it on like your supposed to??
Old 7/31/14, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pminri
Just to add a little more info. I have a track pack I put in motorcraft both times 5w50 I made sure it was the correct part number motor oil and watched the tech pour it in one quart at a time on first change and saw the empty bottles one the second change. Tic only happened on second change when it was 90+ degrees out. I wonder if the they don't fill the oil filter first before screwing it on like your supposed to??
Possible. I always prime the oil filter.
Old 7/31/14, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Does the tick ever go away? When?
Old 7/31/14, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Does the tick ever go away? When?
It has on mine but I don't recall how long it took. It was not long. A day or two.
Old 7/31/14, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the tick on my Track Pack. Had to have my timing cover resealed for the second time. Got an oil change with it for the second time. About 2800 miles now. I do not think the tick has anything to do with the oil filter drain back valve... The valve if bad would allow oil to drain out of vital components while the vehicle sits. After a few seconds of engine running the oil pump should supply oil to these components again silencing them. My tick can happen any time even after 30 minutes plus of driving. It is annoying a bit... But based on what I was told and have read... Is normal. I would just like to know what the source of the noise is for my own piece of mind. That and the clutch noise I have on light acceleration... Also annoying...
Old 7/31/14, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Next time you get the tick use the old fashioned mechanics stethoscope. Broom handle. LOl Used it for years will tell you exactly where the sound is once you get close..
Old 7/31/14, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a stethoscope... Have not used it for this instance. I will try this next time I think about... But standing next to the car I think it sounds like it is coming from underneath... Sound can bounce around and be deceiving though...
Old 7/31/14, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

The stethoscope will help allot. I have a suburban as my DD and it has a tick once in a while but it has almost 300K on her and it is from the fuel injectors. Goes away and comes back..
Old 8/21/14, 05:08 PM

Ahh, just got my oil changed for the first time on my 2014 Mustang Gt (has just over 3,000 miles and have owened for 8 months) today and when I pulled into my garage I now hear the infamous oil change tick noise. This is not right to spend over $30,000 on a car that does this after giving the vehicle proper maintenance.

Last edited by flogtwo; 8/21/14 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Forgot car millage.
Old 8/26/14, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

OK what gives here. There are to many people with the Oil Change Tick? Does not make any sense.

Does anyone know what oil Ford uses at the factory? What oil filter do they use?

What Oil is the Dealer using? Oil Filter?

Does it sound like a Lifter Tick?

Deysha Is there any TSB's on this issue?

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Engine tick