Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?

Old 1/16/13, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?

Hello,

Noticed this a few weeks back and have been waiting to see if it would go away on its own after trying water and a rag. Its really only noticeable in the sun or during the day but can't really tell when its dark out. The display has a different texture on part of it that looks like its either been abrasively rubbed or some film is degrading on top of it. If you look at the edges it has really fine lines around around (which if it was something rubbed on there you wouldn't expect to see that kind of pattern from it, it would be more like a swirl or something less finely detailed.

Anyone else see this on their mustang or know what might be causing it? I'll probably take it to the dealer to look at but I'd like to have some information before going to them so I don't get suckered into being sold on something.

Thanks so much for the input.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?-photo-1.jpg   2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?-photo-2.jpg   2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 1/16/13, 02:25 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
is that the residue from the protective plastic? that'd be strange as mine didn't leave anything behind when I took it off. (god, I'm going to hear it for this) --- is it sticky?
Old 1/17/13, 05:19 AM

My 2012 V6 Convertible has the same issue. I thought it may have been caused from when they were cleaning the car before I bought it or something. I would be interested in finding out as well.

P.S. No comment on whether it's sticky or not.
Old 1/17/13, 06:39 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by leachdor
Hello,
Noticed this a few weeks back and have been waiting to see if it would go away on its own after trying water and a rag. Its really only noticeable in the sun or during the day but can't really tell when its dark out. The display has a different texture on part of it that looks like its either been abrasively rubbed or some film is degrading on top of it. If you look at the edges it has really fine lines around around (which if it was something rubbed on there you wouldn't expect to see that kind of pattern from it, it would be more like a swirl or something less finely detailed.
Originally Posted by exrub
My 2012 V6 Convertible has the same issue. I thought it may have been caused from when they were cleaning the car before I bought it or something. I would be interested in finding out as well.
Hello guys,

I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 1/17/13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 1/17/13, 11:11 AM

Thanks Deysha.
I went ahead and sent you that message.

PS, the residue or degraded part (can't tell if its something on top of the LCD or part of it rubbed off) is NOT sticky. Just doesn't feel smooth/glass-like like the unaffected portions.
Old 1/17/13, 02:42 PM

Thanks Deysha.
I went ahead and sent you that message.
PS, the residue or degraded part (can't tell if its something on top of the LCD or part of it rubbed off) is NOT sticky. Just doesn't feel smooth/glass-like like the unaffected portions.
Thanks, leachdor. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 1/18/13, 06:40 AM

Hi Deysha,

I'll add that to the list when I take it in for service in March.

Thanks!
Old 1/18/13, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by exrub
Hi Deysha,
I'll add that to the list when I take it in for service in March.
Thanks!
No problem. Make sure you keep me posted, exrub.

Deysha
Old 1/18/13, 12:06 PM

Contacted the folks at the service department and this is the feedback I got:

"I had my master technician look at this photo and we are both of the opinion that it looks to be glue with dust sitting on top of it. It does not appear to be a defect. This is most likely related to when the film was removed upon delivery. As a dealership our first step would be to attempt to clean it off and proceed from there if necessary. I hope these are the answers you were looking for, if not please do swing it in to see me at 10:30 tomorrow! Thank you"

I went ahead and made the appointment for tomorrow morning but on the way home from work tonight I'm going to pick up a bottle of goo-gone. I'm not sure what else to use that won't be corrosive to the screen but yet still be able to dissolve the residue. If that doesn't work, I'll take it in.

@Deysha : Just to follow-up on the private message I sent you, I'll be taking it into the local dealership I listed tomorrow, not the one up in Columbus.
Old 1/18/13, 02:11 PM

Contacted the folks at the service department and this is the feedback I got:

@Deysha : Just to follow-up on the private message I sent you, I'll be taking it into the local dealership I listed tomorrow, not the one up in Columbus.
I sent you a response, leachdor. Thanks for the update.

Deysha
Old 1/20/13, 02:27 PM
V6 Member

I had (still have) this issue as well. It's actually not a glue or any sort of residue. What you're seeing is what appears to be some sort of tint that was on that piece of glass/plastic screen that somehow got removed or messed up.

When I first saw a spot on my radio screen I thought it was goo or something on top. In fact it wasn't something external that could be removed, it was a part of the tint film that was missing. So I tried cleaning and rubbing and it removed even more of it making it look worse.

So unfortunately its not something you can "remove" because there's nothing to remove. That entire piece of plastic probably needs to be replaced. I have read some threads where people have bought glass in the shape of the plastic and get it tinted to match the original and then they replace it.
Old 7/26/13, 04:01 PM

Hi. My First Post.

I got a new 2013 Mustang v6 Convertible, and I had a similar problem as soon as it was picked up, although it wasn't quite as bad as the original poster's. The dealer actually told me that there was sticky residue on the screen, and to come back when it was warmer and they would clean it for me. When I picked up, it was freezing, and they said they didn't want the cleaning liquid to freeze on the screen, which is why they didn't clean it.

Well, after they 'cleaned' it this is what it looked like (sorry about reflection):

2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?-radio-screen.jpg

They scrubbed the tint right off.

I've been waiting over 6 weeks for a new replacement screen. I was told it would (finally) be in next week since they where on backorder.

Regards,

Aracknid
Old 7/29/13, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by cleverfool
I had (still have) this issue as well. It's actually not a glue or any sort of residue. What you're seeing is what appears to be some sort of tint that was on that piece of glass/plastic screen that somehow got removed or messed up.

When I first saw a spot on my radio screen I thought it was goo or something on top. In fact it wasn't something external that could be removed, it was a part of the tint film that was missing. So I tried cleaning and rubbing and it removed even more of it making it look worse.
Was this ever resolved for you, cleverfool? If not, please PM me.

Originally Posted by Aracknid
Hi. My First Post.

I got a new 2013 Mustang v6 Convertible, and I had a similar problem as soon as it was picked up, although it wasn't quite as bad as the original poster's. The dealer actually told me that there was sticky residue on the screen, and to come back when it was warmer and they would clean it for me. When I picked up, it was freezing, and they said they didn't want the cleaning liquid to freeze on the screen, which is why they didn't clean it.
Well, after they 'cleaned' it this is what it looked like (sorry about reflection):
They scrubbed the tint right off.
I've been waiting over 6 weeks for a new replacement screen. I was told it would (finally) be in next week since they where on backorder.
Please be sure to contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 for further assistance, Aracknid. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 7/30/13, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this same problem on my 12 GT Vert. The dealer replaced the entire radio for me (Seemed like overkill, but whatever). I was pleased that they reprogrammed the Sync such that all my devices were remembered when I got the card back. BTW, this work was done when the car was also in for lower control arm issue.
Old 8/7/13, 07:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Was this ever resolved for you, cleverfool? If not, please PM me.

Deysha
Sorry for the late reply. No it was never resolved.
Old 8/7/13, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by cleverfool
Sorry for the late reply. No it was never resolved.
Please PM me so I can escalate this for you as well, cleverfool.

Deysha
Old 8/12/13, 07:46 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

This has been happening to my radio recently - looks like the same thing to me:

Old 8/15/13, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This just started happening to mine...I was just at the dealer last week too, looks like I'll be going back.
Old 8/22/13, 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=Please be sure to contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 for further assistance, Aracknid. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha[/QUOTE]

Hello, and thanks for your suggestion. I did call my Ford service dept. and confirmed that a new screen was not there after 10 weeks, and so I called Ford Customer Service and within a few days the screen had been replaced. They actually also replaced the LCD display as well and updated the software.

Now when I turn on my car, my radio screen says "Mustang" for a few seconds (which I'm pretty sure it never did but I could be wrong) and then the LCD shows as before but I have 2 new lines dividing up the areas. Looks pretty nice. Add of course the screen is clean and nice.

2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?-startup.jpg

2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?-playing-usb.jpg

Aracknid
Old 8/26/13, 10:52 AM
GT Member

I took my wife's V6 Pony Package Stang into my local dealer and they replaced the entire radio with a new one. At first the service "technician" said it was on the outside! He looked liked a fool after rubbing the screen for a few minutes before he agreed that the problem was inside. I am still awaiting the lower front suspension part to arrive. s soon as I MENTIONED Deysha the service manager began to make my life a lot easier. Thanks Deysha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?