Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT Premium Sync + iPhone 5s issues

Old 4/8/14, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT Premium Sync + iPhone 5s issues

Hi all,

Just got my Mustang out of storage after a long out of state assignment and tried to connect my new iPhone 5s. Plugged it into the USB port, and tried to turn it to USB Aux mode and the whole system crashed. I have the regular audio system (no MFT). Whenever I press the AUX button, it flashes AUX for a split second then goes back to FM. Can't press the PHONE button or do anything. I got home, and disconnected the battery to do a full vehicle reset, hoping that would work, and it sort of did. I got the car to go into AUX mode. From here I did a Master Reset and Restore Factory Defaults from the menu BEFORE plugging my phone back into the car. After that finished, I plugged my phone in, the car happily announced it has "discovered a new device, please keep eyes on the road yada yada yada" brought up the play screen and froze at 0:00. From here it just went back into the same problem as before, no AUX, no menus, no PHONE, no voice commands no anything.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Seems like it kinda defeats the point of having the ability to play music via USB (steering wheel controls, song titles, artist lists, etc).

Thanks.

EDIT: Just saw that the latest version of Sync for my car is 4.2.1.4. I only have 4.1.3 installed, so hopefully that will fix it. If not, I'll be back looking for more help.

Last edited by CrzRsn; 4/8/14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 4/8/14, 07:03 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrzRsn
Hi all,

Just got my Mustang out of storage after a long out of state assignment and tried to connect my new iPhone 5s. Plugged it into the USB port, and tried to turn it to USB Aux mode and the whole system crashed. I have the regular audio system (no MFT). Whenever I press the AUX button, it flashes AUX for a split second then goes back to FM. Can't press the PHONE button or do anything. I got home, and disconnected the battery to do a full vehicle reset, hoping that would work, and it sort of did. I got the car to go into AUX mode. From here I did a Master Reset and Restore Factory Defaults from the menu BEFORE plugging my phone back into the car. After that finished, I plugged my phone in, the car happily announced it has "discovered a new device, please keep eyes on the road yada yada yada" brought up the play screen and froze at 0:00. From here it just went back into the same problem as before, no AUX, no menus, no PHONE, no voice commands no anything.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Seems like it kinda defeats the point of having the ability to play music via USB (steering wheel controls, song titles, artist lists, etc).

Thanks.

EDIT: Just saw that the latest version of Sync for my car is 4.2.1.4. I only have 4.1.3 installed, so hopefully that will fix it. If not, I'll be back looking for more help.
Hi CrzRsn,

You've already walked through most of the troubleshooting steps I would have recommended. Good job! I definitely recommend updating your software as well. Please let me know if that takes care of your concern. Also, try performing a soft reset to the phone by holding the POWER and HOME buttons until the Apple appears, then connect it again.

Kim
Old 4/8/14, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

How do we find out what the latest version available is, and what the version we have is?
Old 4/9/14, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by puma1552
How do we find out what the latest version available is, and what the version we have is?
Good question, puma1552! Log in at: www.Support.Ford.com to see if an update is available. If there is, you'll see it listed in your Vehicle's To-Do List on the main page.

Kim
Old 4/13/14, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi CrzRsn,

You've already walked through most of the troubleshooting steps I would have recommended. Good job! I definitely recommend updating your software as well. Please let me know if that takes care of your concern. Also, try performing a soft reset to the phone by holding the POWER and HOME buttons until the Apple appears, then connect it again.

Kim
Took my car to the Ford dealer closest to work and was rudely told that I needed an appointment to do the 30 minute reflash and that they couldn't get me in for a week (seriously?). Instead of arguing I drove 2 miles to the local Lincoln dealer and they were more than happy to take it in. 1 hour later got the car back with the new software (and a complimentary wash) and have had 0 problems since. Did a 700 mile roadtrip over the weekend with full Sync functionality (the only hiccup was when my iPhone crashed and rebooted, but that's Apple's problem - not Ford/Microsoft's) . I think I should start doing all my services at the Lincoln dealer

Last edited by CrzRsn; 4/13/14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 4/14/14, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by CrzRsn
Took my car to the Ford dealer closest to work and was rudely told that I needed an appointment to do the 30 minute reflash and that they couldn't get me in for a week (seriously?). Instead of arguing I drove 2 miles to the local Lincoln dealer and they were more than happy to take it in. 1 hour later got the car back with the new software (and a complimentary wash) and have had 0 problems since. Did a 700 mile roadtrip over the weekend with full Sync functionality (the only hiccup was when my iPhone crashed and rebooted, but that's Apple's problem - not Ford/Microsoft's) . I think I should start doing all my services at the Lincoln dealer
That's awesome, CrzRsn! Thanks for keeping me in the loop. You know where to find me if you have future SYNC questions.

Kim