Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 5.0 Catastrophic Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/11, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 5.0 Horrible Engine Noises

Over the past few weeks as my 5.0 neared 5,000 miles, the valvetrain timing began to sound "off." 3 weeks ago a metal on metal "clacking" sound emerged from the rear of the engine compartment and bottom of the block. The sound is loud when any level of throttle is added appeared. The dealer can not identify the problem and called in a Ford Engineer--I've waited 2 weeks with no callback from the dealer. No check engine light and no smoke in the exhaust. The only mods are H&R springs and Flowmaster Hushpower. Could this be a catalytic converter failure causing exhaust valve timing to be off? Any ideas while I wait in limbo? I love my car and am shocked by the issue. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by markdeatherage; 9/1/11 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Change for better title of post
Old 9/1/11, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No call for 2 weeks from the dealer? If that was my car I'd be calling them every day. Sorry to sound skeptical, but you have 3 posts. 2 of which you are complaining about issues on the car, and one where you're selling parts, including your stock air box......are you leaving out some info here Mark? I'm not calling you a liar, but it's irritating when people only come on here to complain. Why haven't you contacted Deysha - Ford Customer Care?
Old 9/1/11, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Could it be he has no idea who Deysha is? Could it be he's just looking for a friendly site to join, and looking for help or ideas? Could it be he's not looking to have his head bit off?

Deysha:

https://themustangsource.com/members...ervice-111098/

If it were my car, I'd be at the dealer weekly talking with the service manager and making sure some progress is being made. Don't let them ignore you!

Keep us updated, and welcome to TMS, Mark!
Old 9/1/11, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
No call for 2 weeks from the dealer? If that was my car I'd be calling them every day. Sorry to sound skeptical, but you have 3 posts. 2 of which you are complaining about issues on the car, and one where you're selling parts, including your stock air box......are you leaving out some info here Mark? I'm not calling you a liar, but it's irritating when people only come on here to complain. Why haven't you contacted Deysha - Ford Customer Care?
No you're not CALLING him a liar, just asking questions that imply he is lying, that's much better!

This is the warranty and service issue section, where else would he bring up such a issue?

Lately the tone of this board seems to be one of attacking and being unsympathetic to owners with problems, rather than trying to help them as a community. Some people only post when they have an issue or want to sell something, there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe he's been reading the boards for years?

Do other people having problems with their cars some how lessen yours? Why do some people take it as a personal insult when someone has an issue? It somehow contradicts the belief that some people had about their cars being "infallible" in a god-like way.

As to Mark's problem, I hope it can be brought to Deysha's attention and escalated, best of luck man.

Last edited by jedikd; 9/1/11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 9/1/11, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Have you checked your oil level lately? Hopefully Deysha can help you out. But either way, I'd be calling the dealer at least every few days and actually going up there every now and then to make sure something is getting done. Keep us posted...
Old 9/1/11, 09:17 AM

First and foremost, I love my 5.0 and I am a loyal Ford owner for years. The problem existed prior to CAI install and the car currently has stock AI. I am indeed new to the forum and a novice at using the tool and resources. I can assure you my intentions are genuine and I am looking to the community for advice as a knowledge base. I am at the dealer daily but still not getting any updates or timeline for repair--A first for the 20 cars I've owned of any make or model. I also have a PM to Deysha asking for her advice on the issue. Thanks for the support and I will work to update the post with a positive conclusion--it just may take some time.
Old 9/1/11, 09:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then maybe the title of his post should be changed. I see "catastrophic engine failure" and the first thing I thought is crap another #8. Nothing in his post states its catastrophic, no smoke, no CEL, he doesn't state it's not running. All he said was noise was coming from the cats, that doesn't sound catastrophic to me, but then again I'm not a mechanic. I was only asking questions. I'd rather know now the details before I follow it for 3 days to find out he was running a tune. Why would he post previously about selling the stock air box? Something had to replace it. Sorry Mark if I bit your head off, I wish you the best with your issues and please update us when they figure it out.
Old 9/1/11, 10:26 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by markdeatherage
Over the past few weeks as my 5.0 neared 5,000 miles, the valvetrain timing began to sound "off." 3 weeks ago a metal on metal "clacking" sound emerged from the rear of the engine compartment and bottom of the block. The sound is loud when any level of throttle is added appeared.
Hmmm. Don't know what valvetrain sounding 'off' means. If the clatter is truly up top it could be a finger follower. Seems like I've read about a few of those breaking or the roller on it failing.
If it is a loud clacking - increasing in sound towards clunking, and in time with rpm, that would have me concerned about a spun bearing on the crank - if the sound is really coming from the bottom end. Or could that oil baffle be defective somehow and it in contact with the crank each revolution?
Never got low on oil did it? Do you check regularly?
Good luck. I'm sure Deysha will get a response for you.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/1/11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 9/1/11, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Hmmm. Don't know what valvetrain sounding 'off' means. If the clatter is truly up top it could be a finger follower. Seems like I've read about a few of those breaking or the roller on it failing.
If it is a loud clacking - increasing in sound towards clunking, and in time with rpm, that would have me concerned about a spun bearing on the crank - if the sound is really coming from the bottom end. Or could that oil baffle be defective somehow and it in contact with the crank each revolution?
Never got low on oil did it? Do you check regularly?
Good luck. I'm sure Deysha will get a response for you.
Those all seem like good possibilities, though I agree it's odd for it to be at the dealer for 2 weeks without any idea. Unless it's just a way incompetent dealer (do they still exist out there? )

If you've been doing the bugging-the-dealer thing without much progress, I'd definitely be stepping up the rungs to get someone aware and working on it. Deysha seems great at doing that, so hopefully get a quicker status update at the very least. And hopefully NOT a catastrophic engine failure despite the horrible sounds.
Old 9/1/11, 02:36 PM

Deysha is on it! The dealer has the car and seems motivated to diagnose the issue. Thanks all. I will report the findings in a few days.
Old 9/1/11, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Interested to hear what they find out.
Old 9/1/11, 05:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Deysha is on it! The dealer has the car and seems motivated to diagnose the issue. Thanks all. I will report the findings in a few days.
Good luck!
Old 9/2/11, 07:11 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Over the past few weeks as my 5.0 neared 5,000 miles, the valvetrain timing began to sound "off." 3 weeks ago a metal on metal "clacking" sound emerged from the rear of the engine compartment and bottom of the block.
I also have a PM to Deysha asking for her advice on the issue.
Hey markdeatherage,

I sent you a PM with some info. I've made our Customer Care Team aware of this. I got you!!

Why haven't you contacted Deysha - Ford Customer Care?
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Originally Posted by jedikd
As to Mark's problem, I hope it can be brought to Deysha's attention and escalated, best of luck man.
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Hopefully Deysha can help you out.
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'm sure Deysha will get a response for you.
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Deysha seems great at doing that, so hopefully get a quicker status update at the very least.
Thank you all for pointing him in my direction!! You guys are the best!!

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 9/2/11 at 07:17 AM.
Old 9/7/11, 12:11 PM

Ford denied my waranty claim today. The No. 8 failed and it is attributed to the custom tune. I am working to get American Muscle/Bama via email but their warranty email address is invalid. Ford is able to reinstate the warranty if the car is returned to stock specs but this is going to be a long process. Buyer beware of the implications of a custom tune and the risk that warranty can be void and the costs placed on the owner.
Old 9/7/11, 12:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ford denied my waranty claim today. The No. 8 failed and it is attributed to the custom tune. I am working to get American Muscle/Bama via email but their warranty email address is invalid. Ford is able to reinstate the warranty if the car is returned to stock specs but this is going to be a long process. Buyer beware of the implications of a custom tune and the risk that warranty can be void and the costs placed on the owner.
Yep most already know that on here, there have been multiple threads on the custom tunes causing the #8 failure. There was also a poll about which tunes have caused it.
Old 9/7/11, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let us know how BAMA takes care of you
Old 9/7/11, 02:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

...are you leaving out some info here Mark?
I see "catastrophic engine failure" and the first thing I thought is crap another #8...I'd rather know now the details before I follow it for 3 days to find out he was running a tune.
Haha.

That sucks. Hope you had some extra cash layin' around. I'm anxious to hear what AM's response is...
Old 9/7/11, 03:07 PM

Would auto insurance cover something like this?
Old 9/7/11, 03:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Goathog02
Would auto insurance cover something like this?
No, that's what the warranty is for. But if the warranty is voided, then you're SOL. I'm interested in seeing if AM is gonna pick up the tab...
Old 9/7/11, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ford is able to reinstate the warranty if the car is returned to stock specs but this is going to be a long process.
what's does that mean? Sounds easy enough but doesn't make sense ford would say that. God **** I can't believe another number 8.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 Catastrophic Engine Failure