Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

'12 GT oil change 20k miles, new engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/13, 01:23 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 GT oil change 20k miles, new engine noise?

I just changed the engine oil for the 2nd time at 20k miles with Royal Purple 5W-20 and Royal Purple oil filter. I added 8 quarts. At first start up the engine noise seemed quieter from inside the cabin and outside. When I opened the hood it seemed like the engine was quieter but at the same time I think there was a different noise introduced coming from the engine.

I checked and there was no leaks and verified there was oil pressure indicator. I then went on a short cruise and the car seemed to feel smoother. I never exceeded 2.5k rpms and took it slow. The in car noise was quieter than before the oil change ( i recently had my resonators deleted too so that was a surprise). I keep saying "seemed" because this could all be a placebo effect.

Here is a short video of the car idling right after I got done with the oil change. At the end of the video is yet another GT500 resonator delete sound clip.

This second video is back when the car was stock with 3k miles and when I discovered a ticking sound coming from the engine which I would later find out to be coming from the stretchy tensioner belt which has a TSB and can be fixed at the dealer. But I have not yet done that. I've just been used to the noise and it hasn't bother me ever since I knew that it was just normal and it wasn't something that would cause damage.

Anyone have any experience with this engine noise? You think it's just the tensioner belt?

Mods: Steeda strut tower brace, steeda billet rear lower control arms, gt500 axle backs with resonator deletes. steeda 3 point frame rail.

Last edited by Mirad_GT12; 2/1/13 at 01:28 AM. Reason: mods
Old 2/1/13, 07:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
I just changed the engine oil for the 2nd time at 20k miles with Royal Purple 5W-20 and Royal Purple oil filter. I added 8 quarts. At first start up the engine noise seemed quieter from inside the cabin and outside. When I opened the hood it seemed like the engine was quieter but at the same time I think there was a different noise introduced coming from the engine...
Hello Mirad_GT12,

I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 2/1/13, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
You're a little nuts to drive a car 17K miles with a problem you know about. Not smart, IMO.
Old 2/1/13, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you have the stretchy belt problem it will sound like a rod knocking on the passenger side of the engine at idle.