Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Shelby/Kicker 8" Door Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/11, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby/Kicker 8" Door Woofer

Looking for opinions on the sound quality of the Shelby/Kicker 8" door woofers installed in a 11 GT with Shaker 500/Navi. I have read through several threads but there does not seem to be any information about the 11 GT Shaker 500/Navi combo... most are for older Mustangs or ones that don't have the Nav option and need a 4.1 amp from Shelby to go with the 8" door woofers.
Old 11/17/11, 05:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After two months i'm not sure it was a good purchase for me. I have the nav system also. I'm wondering if i had a sub in the trunk would it make it better. I would just upgrade the regular speakers if i could do it again. Plus the cover is made of Styrofoam or something...not a good quality for a cover.
Old 11/17/11, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
After two months i'm not sure it was a good purchase for me. I have the nav system also. I'm wondering if i had a sub in the trunk would it make it better. I would just upgrade the regular speakers if i could do it again. Plus the cover is made of Styrofoam or something...not a good quality for a cover.
Agreed. Don't do it unless you can add aftermarket amplification to them otherwise the output is miserably lacking when compared to stock...something I'm currently working on.
Old 11/17/11, 09:38 AM
GTR Member

I've been waiting for months to see what these look like installed...got any pics?
Old 11/17/11, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I've been waiting for months to see what these look like installed...got any pics?
Not my pics but hereare some: https://themustangsource.com/f803/ha...4/#post6144912
Old 11/17/11, 09:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Locotone07
There's no way the stock surrounds will work, right?
Old 11/17/11, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
There's no way the stock surrounds will work, right?
No, they won't.
Old 11/17/11, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Shelby/Kicker 8" Door Woofer-speaker1.jpg   Shelby/Kicker 8" Door Woofer-speaker.jpg   Shelby/Kicker 8" Door Woofer-speaker2.jpg  
Old 11/17/11, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Does any one else have any experiences with these sub woofers to offer?
Old 11/17/11, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

I have em, and like them a lot. Very tight, and focused and controlled bass. Yes they're a lot less boomy than the stockers but I like the quality of midrange coming out of them. Just enough for me.

I had an alpine type r 12" with a 650 watt amp in my old car and it was insane power.

Now all I need is enough to get my grouch when the engine noise isn't enough. Trunk subs are a no no in the stang so I can fit golf clubs in
Old 11/17/11, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I have em, and like them a lot. Very tight, and focused and controlled bass. Yes they're a lot less boomy than the stockers but I like the quality of midrange coming out of them. Just enough for me.
Do you think a trunk sub is needed to fill out the sound?
Old 11/17/11, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tyndallcbr
I don't think so, but some others might.
Old 11/17/11, 11:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish these could be used with different covers. Those covers look like hell compared to the 2010+ covers.
Old 11/18/11, 07:04 AM
V6 Member

Quote: Originally Posted by LEwis26

There lies the problem...midrange, these are not supposed to sound like midranges but woofers or more specifically subwoofers. I know Lewis26 really likes them, his testimonial helped convince me to get them but perhaps someone else with experience can back me up. Connected to my stock Shaker 500 w/nav, base turned all the way up, I can barely hear them (and yes they are wired properly as per the Shelby instructions), I'm currently waiting for an AudioControl LC2i which I will be connecting to an Elf Audio 1500DM (wire these 2ohm Kickers in parallel) which I'm planning to mount under the front seats (trunk space in my vert is a premium) in hopes of getting them to sound right. I really didn't want to go this route but don't see another choice unless I go back to the stock subs. Of course YMMV...good luck but again I say unless you add aftermarket amplification or add another (larger) sub to the trunk...don't do it.

Last edited by Locotone07; 2/29/12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11/18/11, 11:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

I certainly do. I like a lot of clean clear bass and the factory NAV system just don't do it for me. My previous car I had the Skipper 1000 and it sounds a lot better than this thing. I don't trust anyone here to do such a job, but when I return to the USA I'm getting trunk subs and an amp or two.
Old 11/18/11, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Locotone07
Quote: Originally Posted by LEwis26
I have em, and like them a lot. Very tight, and focused and controlled bass. Yes they're a lot less boomy than the stockers but I like the quality of coming out of them. Just enough for me.

There lies the problem...midrange, these are not supposed to sound like midranges but woofers or more specifically subwoofers. I know Lewis26 really likes them, his testimonial helped convince me to get them but perhaps someone else with experience can back me up. Connected to my stock Shaker 500 w/nav, base turned all the way up, I can barely hear them (and yes they are wired properly as per the Shelby instructions), I'm currently waiting for an AudioControl LC2i which I will be connecting to an Elf Audio 1500DM (wire these 2ohm Kickers in parallel) which I'm planning to mount under the front seats (trunk space in my vert is a premium) in hopes of getting them to sound right. I really didn't want to go this route but don't see another choice unless I go back to the stock subs. Of course YMMV...good luck but again I say unless you add aftermarket amplification or add another (larger) sub to the trunk...don't do it.
What year do you have? If its an 11' is your main amp in the passenger side of the trunk?
Old 11/18/11, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
What year do you have? If its an 11' is your main amp in the passenger side of the trunk?
2012 and I believe the sub amp is by the driver side kick panel. The amp for the other speakers is in the passenger side trunk...anyone else with a 2012 confirm this?
Old 12/22/11, 12:33 AM
V6 Member

Just finished my upgrade...

The additional amplification makes all the difference. I ended up wiring the kickers in series...plenty loud and clear. Finally sounds as it should.
Old 1/4/12, 02:50 PM

I installed the Shelby/Kickers the first week I had my car. I got used to the new grills pretty fast actually. And they are flexible, but have not broken (yet), so no issue there for me. I like not having the chrome ring around them, gives the lower part of the door less bling which I see as a good thing.

Now, for the important part, which is not how they look but how they sound. I have the Nav. and replaced the front door and rear side panel speakers with Pioneers at the same time. In my opinion, not enough improvement in either case. After 1 week, I pulled the trigger on the LCQ1 under the pass. seat and a 4 channel JL amp under the driver seat running the Shelby/Kickers and a set of Hertz separates replacing the Pioneers in the doors. I put the remote **** inside my center console compartment for the Shelby/Kickers. Now it sounds great. IMO, the Shelby/Kickers need more clean power than they get from the Shaker500 system and the bass roll-off kills them. The LCQ1 also takes care of the bass roll-off issue and I send only LF to the subs.

Pros: now it sounds great no matter how loud I turn it up (and that's pretty loud w/the top down) and I can control sub/bass output separately.

Cons: I am $1500.00 poorer after parts and install. I still won't win any hip-hop car audio contests because I still have room in my trunk for a suitcase and cooler! Wait, that's a pro, not a con.
Old 1/12/12, 10:58 PM

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

This kicker sub can be paralleled down to 1.1 ohms to match the impedance of the factory woofers. The Shelby subs are 4 ohm dvc and can only be paralleled down to 2 ohms. That will only use half the power of the factory amp where as the kickers in the link would use the full power.

Quick Reply: Shelby/Kicker 8" Door Woofer