Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Opinions wanted: Hertz 5x7 speakers

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/11, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions wanted: Hertz ECX 570 5x7 speakers

Anyone try theses? Apparently they're supposed to be really good (ie audiophile quality) speakers but for about $200 a pair they'd better be.

The ones I'm looking at are the ECX 570's

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

(Under Products>Energy>COAXIAL)

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 2/16/11 at 04:47 AM.
Old 2/20/11, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know as much about cars as you , but I do know a little about sound. I am on my android phone so I cannot write much now, but I find that past a certain point, buying good speakers is pretty subjective. No matter how good they audiophiles have their preferences and are often passionate about them. That is not actually all that much for speakers you enjoy. Audtition them carefully and if you really like them then it is worth it. It is easy to quicky get technical about speakers, but it really does at the end come down to what you like. Personally, I find that the accoustics of a moving vehicle of any type does not make for the best sound quality. I try to get decent speakers but ones that do not break the bank. At home is where high quality speakers matter the most.

I like considering things that others might not like because it is going to be my car, and I have no plans to sell it. I know it might not be as helpful stating general info, but really once you get past a certain point, peronal taste is king. Finding time to audition speakers is hard, and finding good but less available speakers can be hard,but a good patient audition process is hard to beat.
Old 2/20/11, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Audition the speakers, I agree. Buying something that's overpriced based on hype or white papers is good for some things, but when you actually put speakers in a car, or a house, YOU have to be happy with them. Hearing them, comparing to others, you'll figure out what's good for you. And they won't be the most money, more than likely.

I bought my replacement door panel speakers for my HoopTyBird for a few reasons, price being one of them, but that was because they were on sale... and when I went to the store that had them on sale, and listened to them... they were *amazing*. I wanna say they were $60/pair on sale.

So I got two sets for the price of one. Can't remember, think they were Clarion 5x7 3 ways, and the listed frequency response for them was really really good, and truly, they sounded like it.

Oh, there were others, more expensive, and a little better sounding here and there, but for the price, these were knocking out of the ball park good, and I just didn't need to spend more.

I took them home, installed them... and they were, in fact, *amazing* with the 4x40 JVC head unit I had in the car (a gift from a friend, he wasn't using it, and the HoopTy needed a new stereo as the original crapped out.)

An aside: You know, at the end, the HoopTy was having it's issues, so it was time to say goodbye when Awesome came about, but that little V6 TBird was a real trooper at a time I needed one. Kinda miss her a little now.

/But only a little.

Last edited by houtex; 2/20/11 at 09:09 PM.
Old 2/21/11, 01:27 AM
Banned

I did listen to them in the store; they do have an ok display setup. I listened to them on the same system up against a few Clarion and Kennwood speakers and the do sound great. Hertz just wasn't a name that I've heard much about but TBH the last time I was really looking to upgrade my system was before the kids came along and Alpine and Kenwood were on top; since then I just basically got whatever the top factory system was and changed out the speakers for whatever Pioneers were on sale (face it, even a cheap Pioneer is better than stock).

I'm a little pickier with my home stuff; my home setup is all Paradigm. Works out well, my neighbour across the street works for them...