Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

need audio upgrade suggestions

Old 7/31/14, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need audio upgrade suggestions

So i recently got a 14' mustang and i am looking to make it more of an audio build. Just need to know what are the better quality audio upgrades are for a reasonable price. Mainly want a single sub just because i want to have available space in the trunk if ever needed.
Whats a good size sub?
What is the best "bang for your buck" sub?
Good amp?
Good door speakers?

Thanks for the help.
Old 8/3/14, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Some questions for you.

What system in the car now?

Do you plan to add additional amplification for all of the speakers?

I'm working on something similar and have started to document my process here. You will generally get a lot of suggestions based on what people have themselves (which is expected). However, if you have the chance to really auditions some speakers for yourself that is the best way to decide what to buy. I chose to buy Infinity Reference speakers because I've had them in the past, I like their uni-pivot tweeters, and it seem like they work well with the factory amps (I have the shaker 500). I'm trying to keep my cost generally low and keep it looking factory. To maintain space in the trunk the JL Audio Stealthbox and MTX Thunderform look like good options. However, to save a little money you might be better off buying a Zenclosure box. Make sure to match the sub and box. Keep an eye out on Crutchfield, Sonic Electronics, Best Buy or other sites for special deals on subs and amps.
Old 8/5/14, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also didn't want to lose any trunk space so I had a custom box made to fit where the spare tire is suppose to be. 2 JL10W1V3. The box is sealed and produces great clean base

need audio upgrade suggestions-image-848473813.jpg
Old 8/8/14, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
Some questions for you.

What system in the car now?

Do you plan to add additional amplification for all of the speakers?

I'm working on something similar and have started to document my process here. You will generally get a lot of suggestions based on what people have themselves (which is expected). However, if you have the chance to really auditions some speakers for yourself that is the best way to decide what to buy. I chose to buy Infinity Reference speakers because I've had them in the past, I like their uni-pivot tweeters, and it seem like they work well with the factory amps (I have the shaker 500). I'm trying to keep my cost generally low and keep it looking factory. To maintain space in the trunk the JL Audio Stealthbox and MTX Thunderform look like good options. However, to save a little money you might be better off buying a Zenclosure box. Make sure to match the sub and box. Keep an eye out on Crutchfield, Sonic Electronics, Best Buy or other sites for special deals on subs and amps.
What he said. In my book replacing the speakers and adding good aftermarket amps is a must. Equipment depends on your budget. The stealth box and thunderforms can get really expensive unless you are lucky enough to find an empty used one. Zen enclosures are very reasonably priced and great from what I've seen/ heard.
Old 8/8/14, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
One of the big things I noticed on my 2014 GT with Shaker 500 is the content make all the difference. If you listen to the Radio / Satellite sound Like S***. If you stream with a Good MP3 or use a CD it sounds fantastic. Wow it sound like a Whole new system.

I put a RTA on it and what a difference the content of these system make.

I still want a SUB. I am thinking of using one of the new JBL Powered Sub's. Like http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...atId=cat140025

Last edited by Jazzman442; 8/8/14 at 01:11 PM.