Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

My Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/14, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My Audio Upgrade

After reading some of threads here I decided I wanted to embark on improving the sound inside my Stang. With all the ways to enjoy good music in the car (Sirius, Bluetooth streaming, USB, USB2, and yes, even trusty old CD's) I figured it would be worthwhile. This will be an going thread and may take a while before I'm finished with it all as I'm going in stages as money allows. I will lay out my plan but you know what happens with best laid plans.

First off, I didn't want to get into a major system like this one (though that would be awesome) so I can eventually spend some money on performance.

https://themustangsource.com/f803/up...s-data-521961/

Great info there though.

OK, so my plan is to replace speakers but keep the factory amplification. At this point I'm not planning to replace the 8" door woofers. I plan to add a sub and amp. Lastly I'm looking at one of the Kenwood head units with the Maestro kit.

Last week I found some Infinity 6832cf 6x8's for what looked like a good price at Sonic Electronix. The price looked good compared to the new models anyway. I had Infinity Refernce speakers in one of my old Fox body cars and it was the best sounding system I've ever owned. I really like their uni-pivot tweeters. I know there's better stuff out there but I'm trying to keep it relatively inexpensive and as I said, the only amplifier I'm putting in (for now) is to power the sub. So anyway, I bought two pairs of the 6832cf speakers.

This past Tuesday I installed the new speakers in the doors. I purchased the Ford speaker adapter plates 4R3Z-18B947-AA and 4R3Z-18B947-BA. I used the foam gasket that Infinity included between the speakers and the adapters. I also used the Metra 72-5600 speaker wire adapters so I wouldn't have to cut any wires. My initial listening confirmed I'm hearing much more detail in the sound than the factory speakers. One little thing I wasn't sure of was what screws to use to mount the new speakers to the adapters. I ended up taking the 4 screws (8 for both speakers) out of the 5.25" factory speaker and used them.

I haven't taken any pictures but I'll try to remember to do that next time I'm working on it. I might be changing the tweeter switch on the Infinity tweeters from +3db to 0db. It's sounding a bit harsh on some songs to me.

My next step is going to be to install an amp wiring kit and the rear speakers. I think I'm going to use a 4 guage OFC kit so it's high quality and I want 4 gauge just in case I get a big subwoofer amp or I decide to add a second amp to the other speakers. If I ever go that far I will probably upgrade the fronts to some component speakers and consider upgrading the 8" woofer. That's way down the road. When I install the amp kit I'm going to use the PAC AOEM-FRD24 for my line out conversion. I will be using an old amp and sub for now.

That will be the end of Stage 1. Total cost of approximately $225 or so depending on the amp kit I buy. If anyone has any suggestions for an amp kit, feel free to let me know.
Old 9/4/14, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The harshness on the infinity tweeters seems to be pretty common. I had a pair of kappa 6.5 comps in an older car. The only way to really fix it is a good equalizer. Probably not a whole lot you can do on the factory system.
Old 9/4/14, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed some of these on the fronts. They made a big difference. I plan on hooking up and amp to them in the future.
Attached Images  
Old 9/5/14, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Let us know how it turns out!
Old 9/8/14, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Either I'm getting used to the tweeters at the +3 db setting or the speakers just needed some time to break in as they are not bothering me anymore.

I did get the rear speakers, PAC module and amp wiring installed a couple of weeks ago. Took longer than I had hoped but it's nice and clean. At first I thought I had some issues with the PAC module (there's another thread here on that) but everything seems to be working now. However, it does seem that when talking on the phone through Sync people are quieter than they were previously. Unfortunately the old sub I was going to use is blown but I was able to test my wiring with a buddy's Infinity Bass Link. Now I just need a few pennies saved up to get a sub. I will likely wait until the end of winter when I'm getting ready to get the car out. I'm leaning towards a custom box using the spare tire well. The backup plan is a zenclosure box.
Old 9/8/14, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mounted 2 JL 10w1v3 in my spare tire well. Love that I didn't lose any trunk space. Keep in mind they must be shallow depth subs.
Old 9/10/14, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Toad 185
I mounted 2 JL 10w1v3 in my spare tire well. Love that I didn't lose any trunk space. Keep in mind they must be shallow depth subs.
Thanks. I'll probably go with a single 12. I might not drop the kind of cash I would need for JL but hopefully can find something decent for the price.
Old 9/24/14, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Removed sound tube last week using Advanced Auto parts gasket and part from Lowe's. Less unwanted noise in the cabin means better sound from the audio system. Although I'd really like a slightly better exhaust note.
Old 9/24/14, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I just looked into this sound tube business. I had no idea this was there. Why would ford do this?
Old 9/24/14, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
So I just looked into this sound tube business. I had no idea this was there. Why would ford do this?
My understanding is that the newer cars are so much quieter inside that they were trying to give us something that sounded cool.
Old 9/24/14, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
Either I'm getting used to the tweeters at the +3 db setting or the speakers just needed some time to break in as they are not bothering me anymore. I did get the rear speakers, PAC module and amp wiring installed a couple of weeks ago. Took longer than I had hoped but it's nice and clean. At first I thought I had some issues with the PAC module (there's another thread here on that) but everything seems to be working now. However, it does seem that when talking on the phone through Sync people are quieter than they were previously. Unfortunately the old sub I was going to use is blown but I was able to test my wiring with a buddy's Infinity Bass Link. Now I just need a few pennies saved up to get a sub. I will likely wait until the end of winter when I'm getting ready to get the car out. I'm leaning towards a custom box using the spare tire well. The backup plan is a zenclosure box.
Check out this fiberglass box from Atrend. You can buy it at futureshop or bestbuy, but it's $699!!!
I found mine at amazon for $168 plus expediated shipping to my door (another $100) and received it in 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails My Audio Upgrade-image-596524961.jpg   My Audio Upgrade-image-1604188460.jpg   My Audio Upgrade-image-3105619052.jpg  
Old 9/24/14, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Check out this fiberglass box from Atrend. You can buy it at futureshop or bestbuy, but it's $699!!!
I found mine at amazon for $168 plus expediated shipping to my door (another $100) and received it in 2 days.
Can you post a link where you got it from? I could not find it. thanks.
Old 9/24/14, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dohc97
Can you post a link where you got it from? I could not find it. thanks.
I looked for it as well;
I can't find it in amazon anymore.
But the product number is: Atrend AFG-FM12S

I did see it for sale at futureshop but it was $699 there.
Old 9/25/14, 12:15 AM

I just did a bing search for Atrend AFG-FM12S and it came right up.

Amazon.com : Atrend AFG-FM12S Phantom Fit Single 12-Inch Sealed Passenger Side Fiberglass Enclosure for Ford Mustangs 2005-2013 (Black) : Computer Add On : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Atrend AFG-FM12S Phantom Fit Single 12-Inch Sealed Passenger Side Fiberglass Enclosure for Ford Mustangs 2005-2013 (Black) : Computer Add On : Car Electronics
Old 9/25/14, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Toad 185
I saw this as well. Has a 3-5 week lead time though. Only comes in black
Old 9/25/14, 03:55 PM

It's in the trunk. Who cares what color it is. Then again, my cars black.
Old 9/25/14, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered mine and got it within two days. Then ordered a second one and got that in 3 days
Old 9/25/14, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Paten
It's in the trunk. Who cares what color it is. Then again, my cars black.
Ha very true. I was just merely pointing it out
Old 9/25/14, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I ordered mine and got it within two days. Then ordered a second one and got that in 3 days
Hmm well if that's the case I may go with one. Still debating on a zen enclosure though, as it would have a hidden rack and everything for my giant amps lol
Old 9/25/14, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Hmm well if that's the case I may go with one. Still debating on a zen enclosure though, as it would have a hidden rack and everything for my giant amps lol
A hidden rack?!
****!

I just picked up another subwoofer enclosure for 2 10" subwoofers. But it's 13"a high and under the cross-member of the trunk, it's 12". ****.

I did see one or two online that were made to fit though.

Quick Reply: My Audio Upgrade