Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/11, 03:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got 2 sets of the Pioneers. The second set of 6x8 will fit in the rear? I HOPE I will hear the differents also.
Old 5/12/11, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
For those of you interested in the DXi570s, you may want to look at Best Buy. Mine were showing up $73.99, when they rang up, they were down to $59.99. Hell of a deal for them.
Just went in to Best Buy to look at a laptop and went to browse the audio section since I knew I was going to likely replace my front's when I get my car. Turns out these are now on clearance! I found one box on the shelf and asked someone who helped me find their last box on top of another rack. I paid $34.99 per pair!! Hell of a deal if you ask me so if anyone is interested I'd call your local Best Buy to see if they have any in stock.

I think I'm just going to do the front's at first and likely hold off on the rears, can anyone comment on if the rear's are really worth it?
Old 5/12/11, 08:06 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Colgate Stang
Just got 2 sets of the Pioneers. The second set of 6x8 will fit in the rear? I HOPE I will hear the differents also.
The rear deck speakers in the s197 are a PITA to change. Not hard just time consuming. If i remember right you have to get at them from above with a torx screwdriver and removing both interior side panels to get to them. I bought one of those little ratcheting socket style screwdrivers and put the correct torx in it so i could unscrew the screws ithe tight space under the rear window.
Old 5/14/11, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

I just did my speakers last night. Front and back. To do the backs you have to start by taking the door sill off and the seats out. Then the side panels just pop off with a little encouragement and you have to move your way up to the back.

The rockford fosgates I got are awesome! the sound is so much clearer than the shaker 500 ones. They're a little pricey but I highly suggest them.
Old 5/15/11, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installed the Polks in the rear today. thanks to fast_351's write-up, I had the whole back of the car apart in 15 minutes. took me a couple of hours to do the whole thing because I was also installing sound deadening material and was taking my time after getting everything out. Sound system now sound like they were SUPPOSED to from the factory.
Old 5/16/11, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Which deadening material did you use. Any tips?
Old 5/16/11, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I used the cheapest I could find which was a butyl rubber 45 mil dynamat "type" material from fleabay ($70 for 50 square foot roll). You are asking the wrong guy for advice because I am not particularly picky what type of material I am using, but there will be a ton of audiophiles to tell you what type to use and how to apply it all that fun stuff. I put it on the doors and everywhere in the back I could apply it. it isn't pretty but I'm not planning on looking under the panels again. I also doubled up in areas where the axlebacks were particularly noisy. big difference and I'm happy with the results. I'm also going to spray on some undercoating on the back inner fenders to make it quieter and less 'tinny' on the gravel roads.

Originally Posted by wonger
Which deadening material did you use. Any tips?
Old 5/17/11, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Just installed Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 2-Way 260 Watt Speakers in front & rear. Love the new sound. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 5/20/11, 06:45 AM

Great tips on getting the speakers in the front. Did I miss anyone talking about how to change the rear speakers in a convertible? Is is easier /harder? Or is it even worth it in the long run? I tend to run balance 2 clicks to the back so it might make a difference. Any thoughts?
Old 5/20/11, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by F Bullit
Great tips on getting the speakers in the front. Did I miss anyone talking about how to change the rear speakers in a convertible? Is is easier /harder? Or is it even worth it in the long run? I tend to run balance 2 clicks to the back so it might make a difference. Any thoughts?
If you have your fader set that way, my opinion is yes, you will notice a big difference by upgrading the speakers. definitely worth it. My opinion is to do the polks over the pioneers in the back. I have the polks in back and pioneers in front. polks are clearly better.
Old 5/21/11, 11:54 AM

Does anyone have a detailed list of how to do the speaker change on the rear speaker on a convertible? or is it semi close to the coupe?
Old 5/21/11, 04:30 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have a detailed list of how to do the speaker change on the rear speaker on a convertible? or is it semi close to the coupe?
They are different than the coupe. I haven't changed out my vert's rear speakers yet, but, I wish I would have when I installed the CDC Light Bar. If I would have known I was going to be that close when I did it, I would have had the replacement speakers standing by, and done them at the same time. If you go to the Classic Design Concepts web site, they should have the installation instructions there for the Light Bar. That will get you 95% of the way there. HTH

Last edited by smike308; 5/21/11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 5/21/11, 06:22 PM

Bones302
Thanks for the tip. I'll take your advice and get the polks for the rear. I'll update this week when I put them in.

Smike308
Great pictures for taking out the rear section. Thanks again

Last edited by F Bullit; 5/21/11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 5/22/11, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
F Bullit-- I'm interested in your results with the Polks, keep us posted.
Old 5/23/11, 04:32 PM

Bones302
Thanks for the tip. I'll take your advice and get the polks for the rear. I'll update this week when I put them in.

Smike308
Great pictures for taking out the rear section. Thanks again
Let me know how you like the dxi570's ... considering the same swap on my convertible so if you take any pictures of the rear install, please post them.
Old 5/25/11, 05:24 PM

I put the rear speakers put in today. Easier than the fronts. It took 15 minutes to take all the trim pieces off, 15 minutes to install and test speakers and 20 minutes to reinstall all the trim pieces. If I can do , so can you.

They sound great. But since it's a convertible, well,at least I know there is a difference!

I put in Polk Audio db571's. I also used Metra 72-5600 to make it plug and play. not a huge difference in look, but it is heavier.

[IMG][/IMG]

The top and windows were down and the seats folded forward for more room.

Step 1) There are two retainers on the seat bottom, about 10" in from each side wall. Use your thumb to press in and then left the seat a bit. Repeat for the other side. You can now lift the entire seat bottom out of the car, being careful not to scratch anything and watch out for the seat belts.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 2) Grip the top quarter panel trim piece at the shoulder strap opening and left up to dislodge the retaining clips (there are 3 on top). There is a little bit of resistance on this but it should pull up once all three are loose.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 3) Remove the upper inside quarter trim panel. Pull forward on the edge of the trim panel and pull over the pinch weld of the door jam. You can now pull the trim piece away from the side wall a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

There is one more pushpin retainer to release. It's about 4" down the side wall beside the seat back on the sides. You can use a flashlight and look down on it vertically and see where it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

So, you can either use a door trim tool (fork tool) or in my case, I just used my first and second fingers to slide in between the side panel and seat back and and press against the trim piece to get the pushpin released. Once released, carefully pull the entire trim piece out and set aside.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 4) Unscrew the old speakers, disconnect the wires,
[IMG][/IMG]

reconnect the new wires

[IMG][/IMG]

and install the new speakers. I used the Metra 72-5600 adaptors to make it plug and play. Check the sound at this time to make sure that it sounds like it should. And it should sound pretty good!

[IMG][/IMG]
OK , now back to work.

Just reverse the order to install the trim pieces and the seat bottom. Note: there are two retainers on the side walls ( above and below the speakers opening) that need to be slotted into to holes to hold the side walls in place. Give everything a double check to make sure that all the retainers are retaining and it looks correct.
Old 5/25/11, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went with Polk audio mm 571 should have them installed this weekend.
Old 5/25/11, 05:44 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Yeah. The front and rears are 5x7/6x8s with the exception of the door subs from the Shaker 500.

Anyone know where the amp is located?
In the kick panel to the left On the drivers side. They are kind of up in there q little behind the dash. Imagine the opposite side of ^car from sjb where interior fuses are and up from there about 8".

I removed mine and mounted crossovers there for door components after water in the door ruined my first set of crossovers.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 5/25/11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 05:56 PM

F Bullit, thanks for the pics!

I read on another thread somebody with a convertible stated that they just pulled the side panel away without removing the bottom seat cushion, and that allowed them enough room to access the speaker. Do you think that's possible or is removing the seat absolutely necessary?
Old 5/25/11, 06:21 PM
V6 Member

Hey guys, new here but have been monitoring for a few days. I'm quite interested in replacing the front speakers. Based on what most of you have been stating, I have really been leaning towards Polks. However, I once listened to some Focals and thought they sounded amazing. Looking online, I found some but they are a little more than double the price. You guys think it's worth the money? What kind of harness do I use and where can I get it?

Focal orca 570 CA1
Polk DB571

Quick Reply: Installed new front speakers