Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/11, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got tired of the muddy sounding speakers and replaced the front 5x7's with the Pioneer TS-D6802R, and stuffed the door subwoofer enclosure with some polyfil.

As soon as I took the door panels off, I found the reason for the faint rattle that I've been hearing. The Torx screws holding down both 5x7 were *barely* hand tight. Once the OEM speakers were removed, I can't even describe how cheap they look and felt in my hands. I've worked as a car stereo installer for a few years through college and I've seen my shares of crappy OEM speakers. I'll have to say these are definitely in the top 10. Hell, they are not even heavy enough to be a paper weight. Fail.

For under $100 and an hour of work, the improvement is day and night. I went from -1 bass and maxed out treble setting to +2 bass and +4 treble. Mid range and mid-bass are no longer muddy. The door subwoofers lost almost all of it rattling (and a bit of the lower end), but easily 100% improvement with much tighter bass coming out of them. Not bad for $5 worth of polyfil.

There is simply no way to get decent bass out of those door woofers, so I'm simply turning them into midbass drivers with some polyfil. I might add a separate JL box/amp in the trunk later if I want more bass. It would be great if I can tap an active crossover in there to better control the woofers and 6x8's. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The rear 5x7s are equally pathetic. I simply turned the fader to the front and ignored them. I've listened to several S197 with "upgraded" 6x8s at the rear and I didn't think it was worth the hassle of replacing them.

If you are trying to clean up the sound of your shaker 500/1000 system, it's definitely worth investing in a pair of decent 6x8 to start.

FC

Last edited by txminime; 1/14/11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 1/15/11, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Look in to the Audison Bit Ten. It's not out yet, but it's a simpler version of the Bit One.
Old 1/15/11, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I would buy Polk over Kicker any day. Period. And with the exception of the ZR line and their subs, JL speakers are garbage. However, if you know what you're doing with your install and tuning, you can make $100 speakers sound like $1000 speakers; vice versa if you don't know what you're doing.
finally someone who thinks the same as I with these.
Old 1/26/11, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I added alpine 6x9's on a Polk Audio Amp to my rear deck and that made a huge difference. Changing out the front speakers this week. But no amp on those just yet. I will put a 4 channel amp in the future on fronts and rears but for now im going with just the speakers.
Old 1/26/11, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
My speakers showed up and I installed the rear ones. I'm holding off on the fronts because I have some door mods I want to do and would prefer to remove the door panel only once. The speakers sound pretty good and have nice bass. I'd give them a 7 and the OEM a 4 out of 10. They are not as efficient as the stock speakers meaning you need a little more power to run them. Keep in mind the entire game is going to change when I install the fronts. For my driving pleasure I'm close to max on the dail so I may have to add an amp sooner than later. mo money, mo money.
Do you by any chance have a write up on how to get to remove the rear speakers on my 2011 coupe? I have a set of alpine type r's to throw into the car this weekend, front doors should be straight forward but I briefly looked at the rear deck today and I'm worried I'll have to take apart all kinds of stuff.
Old 1/27/11, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by starbai
Do you by any chance have a write up on how to get to remove the rear speakers on my 2011 coupe? I have a set of alpine type r's to throw into the car this weekend, front doors should be straight forward but I briefly looked at the rear deck today and I'm worried I'll have to take apart all kinds of stuff.
I'm sorry I didn't make a write-up or pictures. It is not hard to do, but there is a lot to take apart. First you must remove the rear seat bottoms, there is a catch under the front part of the seat. Fold the seat backs down, no need to remove them. The plastic both side panels must come out, be careful not scratch anything on the way out. Then finally the rear shelf. You will need a torx bit, but I don't remember the size, I have a box full and I just kept trying til I found one that fit. Installation is the reverse. One of those interior trim pry bars comes in handy but the job can be done with a flat tip, just be super careful. Should take about an hour to do the job. I need a bit more time because I didn't want to risk wasting my beer inside the car. Make sure you test them before you start putting everything back together.

Hope this helps
Old 1/28/11, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam
Upgraded the front speakers in my Shaker 500. I went with Pioneer TS-D6802R 6x8/5x7. They fit perfectly and sound great. Sorry no pics Follow this guide if you don't know how to get to them.
Which size are the front speakers 6x8 or 5x7???
Old 1/28/11, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe its 5x7, but 6x8 can work with the right adapters.
Old 1/28/11, 08:29 PM
Cobra R Member

My 6x8 pioneer's fit perfectly. All 4 screw holes line up, etc.
Old 1/28/11, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Or that lol.
Old 1/29/11, 03:12 PM

Just do it...

Anyone reading this thread who is on the fence, jump down, pick out some front speakers (many good recommendations here), and git 'er done. I just put in a set of Infinity 6829CF speakers in the front doors and the car is transformed. I doubt I will replace the rears unless I have some other reason to take the back deck apart. Now, even Sirius sounds pretty good.

...ned.
Old 1/30/11, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by emilram11
Any of you have these: Polk db571? Crutchfield has them coming up as the customer favorite.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB57...tml?o=r&tp=105

Also, any of you bother replacing the subwoofers on the shaker 500?

I have these in my 07 F150 and like them. They're a very nice sounding speaker and should bolt right into a Mustang. They're also fairly efficient so they should work good with a stock head unit (I ended up replacing my F150 stereo with a Clarion headunit with an internal 4x50 amp, and they sound great with that).

I'm thinking about getting them for the Mustang too, but I might have to bow in to the popularity of the Pioneers here and try something new
Old 1/30/11, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

i went with the hertz 5x7 car speaker.
Old 2/5/11, 11:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

My speakers showed up and I installed the rear ones. I'm holding off on the fronts because I have some door mods I want to do and would prefer to remove the door panel only once. The speakers sound pretty good and have nice bass. I'd give them a 7 and the OEM a 4 out of 10. They are not as efficient as the stock speakers meaning you need a little more power to run them. Keep in mind the entire game is going to change when I install the fronts. For my driving pleasure I'm close to max on the dail so I may have to add an amp sooner than later. mo money, mo money.
I installed the fronts today and I like the sound I'll have to give them an 8 out of 10. Still not good enough for me. I'll be replacing them with a more efficient speaker. They sound best to me when I set the control to rear speakers. All, and driver only don't do it for me.
Old 4/10/11, 09:02 AM
GTR Member

I'm back to looking at these again. Probably going to get the Polk DXi570s for the front for now.
Old 4/10/11, 09:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm back to looking at these again. Probably going to get the Polk DXi570s for the front for now.
I'm ditching the Pioneers and going with these also. I think they are a better choice.
Old 4/10/11, 09:55 AM
GTR Member

I'm ditching the Pioneers and going with these also. I think they are a better choice.
I still keep toying with the idea of doing the Shelby/Kicker setup, but I'm torn. I know the 2-way speakers that came with it have been replaced. wrxified, whos done some pretty killer stereo installs, had good things to say about that whole setup after he installed it.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...30/#post789130
Old 4/14/11, 02:53 PM
GTR Member

Well, I finally decided. Found two pair of Polk DXi570s for $73 each at a local BB, and I'm going to go with those. I'm going to swap the fronts first, see how that sounds, then do the rear sometime later next week. We'll see how it goes from there.
Old 4/14/11, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

As I just posted in another thread I just had my Pioneer TS-D6802R installed front and rear. Great bang for the buck sonicelectronix.com had a great price of $79 per pair. Tremendous gains that I will enjoy each and every time I get in the car. Hard to say that about HP related mods.
Old 4/14/11, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear you like them. Any louder at the same volume setting? Or just more clear? I've installed some that ran at a higher impedance before and had to turn up the volume to get the same output.
What's your opinion regarding this and year speakers, if you don't mind? Thanks

Quick Reply: Installed new front speakers