Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed new front speakers

Old 8/19/11, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galimore
, built a custom fiberglass box that sits in the spare tire well with a Sundown Audio SA-12 and an Eclipse 5 channel amp mounted to it,
I'd love to see the Sub setup as well. I have similar plans with my 2 Fosgate HE2's. Current plan is some 5/8" MDF and a whole lotta fiberglass work.
Old 8/19/11, 12:09 PM

The box isn't actually 100% fiberglass. I used a 24" sonotube (which is pretty popular for building sub enclosures for home audio) that turned out to be almost the exact dimensions of the spare tire well. The bottom of the well is kind of a weird shape so I laid down tape and fiberglassed the bottom and then put a double thick 3/4" mdf cap on the top of it with cut outs for the sub and amp in the second sheet. You'll need to watch the mounting depth of your sub very closely, I mounted my sub off-center to get it to fit. The middle of the box where the bump the jack screws into sits is only about 5.5" deep in my box, the middle/outside where I mounted the SA-12 is maybe 7". After everthing was installed it wound up costing me maybe 1" of the floor in the middle of the trunk which I'm fine with.

As for the 6.5" speakers, I bought from premade adapters that wound up being awful and flimsy so I did a little research and wound up using plastic cutting board for my adapters. It's about 1/2" thick, waterproof, easy to cut, and extremely sturdy. I took out the stock plastic adapters from the front of the car and removed the raised sections around the edge so I had a flat surface to work with and cut out a small chunk from the back section so I could mount the tweeters in the same hole. I screwed my cutting board adapters to the stock ones and then the speakers to the cutting board. No issues with the windows hitting the magnets this way, if you remove the stock plastic adapter and screw your custom one straight to door it would probably hit the window. I will probably have to make a minor adjustment to the door panels, they went back on without any problems but I think the woofer is just barely hitting the inside of the panel with the volume up.

Here's an album with some pictures from the install. Sorry about the terrible quality, I just snapped them with my iphone as I went.

Audio Install

Last edited by Galimore; 8/19/11 at 12:15 PM.
Old 8/21/11, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galimore
The box isn't actually 100% fiberglass. I used a 24" sonotube (which is pretty popular for building sub enclosures for home audio) that turned out to be almost the exact dimensions of the spare tire well. The bottom of the well is kind of a weird shape so I laid down tape and fiberglassed the bottom and then put a double thick 3/4" mdf cap on the top of it with cut outs for the sub and amp in the second sheet. You'll need to watch the mounting depth of your sub very closely, I mounted my sub off-center to get it to fit. The middle of the box where the bump the jack screws into sits is only about 5.5" deep in my box, the middle/outside where I mounted the SA-12 is maybe 7". After everthing was installed it wound up costing me maybe 1" of the floor in the middle of the trunk which I'm fine with.

As for the 6.5" speakers, I bought from premade adapters that wound up being awful and flimsy so I did a little research and wound up using plastic cutting board for my adapters. It's about 1/2" thick, waterproof, easy to cut, and extremely sturdy. I took out the stock plastic adapters from the front of the car and removed the raised sections around the edge so I had a flat surface to work with and cut out a small chunk from the back section so I could mount the tweeters in the same hole. I screwed my cutting board adapters to the stock ones and then the speakers to the cutting board. No issues with the windows hitting the magnets this way, if you remove the stock plastic adapter and screw your custom one straight to door it would probably hit the window. I will probably have to make a minor adjustment to the door panels, they went back on without any problems but I think the woofer is just barely hitting the inside of the panel with the volume up.

Here's an album with some pictures from the install. Sorry about the terrible quality, I just snapped them with my iphone as I went.

Audio Install
That is an awesome install. Great job! Love how you got the 6.5's to work in the doors. I like the sub install as well.
Old 8/22/11, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I finally installed my Pioneer TS-D6802R set!
Thanks for the tips and info on the thread!
for the money, it was an awesome upgrade!

I'll add one more tip...

I didn't use the screws that were already on the standard speakers, the heads are too big to sit flush with the Pioneers. So, I went and bought new ones. I found that at even the same length as the originals, the bottom screw was hitting metal. Just barely, but enough to keep the speaker from sitting flat. Hence, one of my earlier posts.

It was easy to fix though, I just snapped the pointy end off with some cutters and viola! Installation became an instant breeze just as most people on this thread have suggested.

Thanks everybody and I hope this helps somebody in the future!
Old 9/6/11, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I just got Pioneer TS-A6874Rs installed and am blown away by all the clarity I was missing before.
Old 9/12/11, 04:51 PM

Just installed these speakers into my Boss 302 MUCH better then the stock crap.

Oh.. and coming from other cars this speaker install was 500% easier then any other car i worked on
Old 1/2/12, 02:21 PM

Focal CA1 (5x7) installed

Installed Focal CA1 (5x7), put Dynamat Extreme on doors (inner/outer), and put Polyfil in 8" door subwoofer enclosures. Installed the speakers first and the sound was much more crisp and clear. There where still buzzes and other vibration related noise from the doors high high volume levels. I then put Dynamat Extreme on the outer doors, inner doors and also some on the inner door skin. Sounds better, no buzzes or vibrations and there is a noticeable difference in the cabin noise level while driving. While working in the drivers side door I manged to break 2 of the 3 screw clips that are on the 5x7 plastic holder for the speaker. If anyone has one they would like to sell I would like to buy it.

Sean
Old 2/19/12, 10:02 PM
V6 Member

Just ordered the Pioneers shown in the first post. Woo-Hoo!

The sound system is the ONLY thing I don't like about the Boss.
Old 4/30/12, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

For those of you with the base stereo in your car how well do the Pioneers sound using stock amplification? How much more do you have to turn them up to get the same volume? I'm looking for something with better separation and clarity. A little more mid-bass wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by bpmurr; 4/30/12 at 11:58 AM.
Old 4/30/12, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CubedStang
Just ordered the Pioneers shown in the first post. Woo-Hoo!

The sound system is the ONLY thing I don't like about the Boss.
Don't feel bad, even the shaker system sounds like poo... the first week I got the car I replaced the fronts with Pioneers... u wouldn't believe the crap they use from factory :-o
Old 5/8/12, 07:37 PM
GT Member

I did front & back, and love every sound. The best mod for the price. Music to my ears!!!
Old 6/9/12, 12:57 AM

Im torn between the Infinity Kappa 682.9cf and the Pioneer TS-D6802R. From what ive read, the Infinity's are a bit too high/harsh, which is why im leaning towards the pioneers. Im not sure why nobody has mentioned amazon.com's pricing? its much cheaper than the competition!

Amazon.com: Infinity 6829CF 300W (Peak) 6 x 8 / 5 x 7 -Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity 6829CF 300W (Peak) 6 x 8 / 5 x 7 -Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 2-Way 260 Watt Speakers: DiscountsJungle Amazon.com: Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 2-Way 260 Watt Speakers: DiscountsJungle

and then seems like im also going to need the Metra 72-5600 Adapter
Amazon.com: Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles: Car Electronics

Will this all work for the 2013 models?
Old 6/15/12, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MOTO2000
Im torn between the Infinity Kappa 682.9cf and the Pioneer TS-D6802R. From what ive read, the Infinity's are a bit too high/harsh, which is why im leaning towards the pioneers. Im not sure why nobody has mentioned amazon.com's pricing? its much cheaper than the competition!

Amazon.com: Infinity 6829CF 300W (Peak) 6 x 8 / 5 x 7 -Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 2-Way 260 Watt Speakers: DiscountsJungle

and then seems like im also going to need the Metra 72-5600 Adapter
Amazon.com: Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles: Car Electronics

Will this all work for the 2013 models?
I just installed the Pioneers in my Boss and they are too harsh as well. I don't think it's the speakers fault though because I heard the TS-D1720C at a local car audio shop and it had a warm sound. I think it has something to do with whatever the OEM calibration is for the stock speakers. I have to turn the treble way down or it's way to harsh for my ears. I have a feeling I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get an amp and something to cleanup the OEM signal.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/15/12 at 08:44 PM.
Old 6/18/12, 07:59 PM

I dont want to get flamed for starting a new thread and i dont want to make this one go off course but if someone could help me or point me in the right direction that would be great.

My problem is i have a 2013 GT/CS with the shaker pro audio and the front door speakers arent like the shaker speakers and you cant reuse the bracket for a aftermarket speaker. So im wondering if anyone here has a 2013 with the shaker pro that has replaced the front 6x8 speakers yet and if they know of anyone that is making a bracket that will allow the install of an aftermarket speaker in the front doors.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 6/19/12, 02:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Wasinger3000
I dont want to get flamed for starting a new thread and i dont want to make this one go off course but if someone could help me or point me in the right direction that would be great.

My problem is i have a 2013 GT/CS with the shaker pro audio and the front door speakers arent like the shaker speakers and you cant reuse the bracket for a aftermarket speaker. So im wondering if anyone here has a 2013 with the shaker pro that has replaced the front 6x8 speakers yet and if they know of anyone that is making a bracket that will allow the install of an aftermarket speaker in the front doors.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Right now, nobody makes a direct bolt in adapter. Your only option that should work is picking up the 2010-2012 speaker brackets and using 6x8s or an adapter plate with other size speakers. Ford is pretty proud of them, though. If I remember right, they're around 50 bucks or so each. You could fab up your own plates out of MDF or something, too. You can find the brackets in the audio illustration of any of the online Ford parts distributors.
Old 11/12/12, 10:43 PM

On Sunday I installed my Kappas 682.9cf using tousley speakers adapters and metra harness but... I did not change positive and negative wires from metra.. why? I follow the wires on te OEM speakers and at the tweeter you can see the polarity.. look the pictures attached and tell me If metra and I are wrong or the tweeters are wrong?????

Sounds nice, but the test wil be tomorrow.. today I just listen like 30seconds of music.

Name:  IMG-20121111-01565.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20121111-01567.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  IMG-20121111-01569.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20121111-01571.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20121110-01550.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  83.4 KB

Last edited by Subiaur; 11/12/12 at 10:51 PM.
Old 2/25/13, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Bringing this one back from the past:

So today I bought one set of the Pioneers, since they have a resounding review here! I also purchased a new head unit.

My question is this, my new HU is going to push more power than the stock unit did. Will this power be translated to the speakers or will the power be negated by the stock amp?

Thanks

Jesse
Old 2/26/13, 04:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Bringing this one back from the past:

So today I bought one set of the Pioneers, since they have a resounding review here! I also purchased a new head unit.

My question is this, my new HU is going to push more power than the stock unit did. Will this power be translated to the speakers or will the power be negated by the stock amp?

Thanks

Jesse
It will be negated. You could go around them if you wanted to.
Old 3/18/13, 01:34 PM

So I just picked up a 2012 gt premium and am also hating the shaker 500 speakers. What would be the verdict on either pioneer TS-D6802R or Alpine-SPR-68 's ? Specs are kind of close to each. price is a little bit better on the pioneers, but not a huge gap between both. Anyone come across both in real life with stock Shaker 500 HU ?
Old 3/18/13, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cylongstang
So I just picked up a 2012 gt premium and am also hating the shaker 500 speakers. What would be the verdict on either pioneer TS-D6802R or Alpine-SPR-68 's ? Specs are kind of close to each. price is a little bit better on the pioneers, but not a huge gap between both. Anyone come across both in real life with stock Shaker 500 HU ?
I installed the Polk audio DXI6500's and love them. With an adapter you don't have to cut the door panels. To me you can't beat a good set of components and Best Buy had them on sale for $100.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed new front speakers