Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/13, 09:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?

So I was cleaning the inside of my car the other day. I saw a "spot" on the where the time, radio, info, etc. would be on the center console. I thought I had got something sticky on it but in reality that spot was actually what I'm now assuming as being a spot of the tint on that piece of plastic that somehow got removed. Stupid me I started scrubbing it with some glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth and I totally ruined it. Most of the tint is now removed and it just looks like crap now and there are a billion scratches and marks.

I'm attaching some pictures to show how bad it looks in the sun. Now I was wondering how I could go about to fix this. I had found a thread somewhere about a person who was making glass replacements for $15 which were much better than the stock plastic, but they're not making them anymore. If anyone knows something I could do to fix it that would be great. I don't know what to even classify or call that piece to find it online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?-photo-1.jpg   Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 1/7/13, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be taking my system off and replacing it with the navigation system hopefully at the end of the month. I would sell mine to you.
Old 1/8/13, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have to make a piece from a cut piece of glass and car tint. The link to the walkthrough is http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lay-glass.html

Lowes cuts glass for you. I went in there and gave the associate the dimensions and it fit great. Be sure to give the tint time to dry from your solution (overnight) before installing. Or use a hairdryer

Last edited by SlowRiderr; 1/8/13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 1/8/13, 04:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your display.

For everyone else, your display is one of the most fragile things of your interior. Your display should never be touched by anyones hands. I know it's tempting when you have dust, dirt, sneeze, or whatever to just wipe it off with your fingers, napkin, spit, shirt....This is what causes the scratches. The scratches show up in the sun and look like crap. Your gauge cluster is no exception either.

I've had enough cars to figure out as well that glass cleaner will destroy certain displays and tints. The cheaper the brand, the more alcohol in it. I don't use window cleaner of any type on the display. I blow the dust off with air and GENTLY work a thin coat of Meguiars liquid wax over the display. Be careful not to get wax in the crevices of the surround. I use only the softest clean microfiber towel.
If you have a few light scratches, you can use some scratch x 2.0 to diminish them before the wax is applied. You gently coat the display in one horizontal swipe. Do not scrub, swirl, or try to work the polish or wax in. NO ELBOW GREASE! Simply coating the display lightly will protect and diminish scratches.

Remember to always use light pressure.

In the future, Remember to NOT touch that display no matter what until you can sit down and tend to it the correct way.

Hope this helps someone.

Note: notice the grain of rice size amount of wax on the microfiber towel. That's all you need.
Attached Thumbnails Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?-image-3580590782.jpg   Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?-image-1016829289.jpg  
Old 11/8/13, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My display screen is messed up on my 2014 GT. It started as a thin line in the bottom left hand corner and now it has grown and looks almost like shattered glass. I took it to the dealer and they took a picture and will send it to ford to see if it's covered under warranty. They said it looks like the screen has been hit and is why it looks like that and it might not be covered under warranty. I call BS because I have never hit it and I bought the car new. I guess I will find out on Monday.

I wish the guy on allfordmustangs was still making glass replacements because I would just buy one of those and install it myself.

Wayne
Old 11/9/13, 04:56 AM
V6 Member

I have an extra one that I will give you for just the cost of shipping and envelope. I bought a used display that I use for test fitting for my kits. PM me with your address.
Dennis

Last edited by 5th Stang; 11/9/13 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11/9/13, 09:34 AM
GT Member

I bought a piece of glass at a local glass shop and tinted it, cost a couple of bucks.
Old 11/9/13, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by linelock
I bought a piece of glass at a local glass shop and tinted it, cost a couple of bucks.
I like that idea!
Old 11/9/13, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Sorry to hear about your display.

For everyone else, your display is one of the most fragile things of your interior. Your display should never be touched by anyones hands. I know it's tempting when you have dust, dirt, sneeze, or whatever to just wipe it off with your fingers, napkin, spit, shirt....This is what causes the scratches. The scratches show up in the sun and look like crap. Your gauge cluster is no exception either.

I've had enough cars to figure out as well that glass cleaner will destroy certain displays and tints. The cheaper the brand, the more alcohol in it. I don't use window cleaner of any type on the display. I blow the dust off with air and GENTLY work a thin coat of Meguiars liquid wax over the display. Be careful not to get wax in the crevices of the surround. I use only the softest clean microfiber towel.
If you have a few light scratches, you can use some scratch x 2.0 to diminish them before the wax is applied. You gently coat the display in one horizontal swipe. Do not scrub, swirl, or try to work the polish or wax in. NO ELBOW GREASE! Simply coating the display lightly will protect and diminish scratches.

Remember to always use light pressure.

In the future, Remember to NOT touch that display no matter what until you can sit down and tend to it the correct way.

Hope this helps someone.

Note: notice the grain of rice size amount of wax on the microfiber towel. That's all you need.
Your touch is better than mine. Microfiber scratched mine all to hell and back. On two vehicles, because I'm a slow learner.
Old 11/11/13, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5th Stang

I have an extra one that I will give you for just the cost of shipping and envelope. I bought a used display that I use for test fitting for my kits. PM me with your address.
Dennis

Thank you. Just to clarify if we are talking about the same piece, the piece I need is the one that is attached to the plastic cover that covers the radio and has the controls for the radio and heating and air. It is not the actual cover on the radio itself. The piece I need is the one that "Getportfolio" in his picture above is attempting to clean.

I have not personally taken everything apart but the part you show above looks like it actually attaches to the radio itself, not to the plastic dash cover. Let me know for sure.

Wayne
Old 11/11/13, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I forgot to mention that I did hear back from the dealer today and Ford did in fact deny warranty coverage for the screen saying it looked like it had been hit. It's total BS because it has never been hit while in my possession. Not impressed with Ford at the moment. I hate to think what will happen with something that is really important.

I did check with the parts department and you have to buy the entire front panel with the screen already mounted in it for around $110 depending on which one I need. That is not going to happen so I have a line on a website(tapplastics.com) that will custom cut and tint a piece of acrylic if I need to go that route so I can fix this myself.

Wayne
Old 11/11/13, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is a picture of what mine looks like. Its the best picture I could take. It started with a thin line and has spread to this and seems to get bigger every time I drive the car which is once or twice a week.
Name:  065_zpsc4dcf6c5.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  53.6 KB

Last edited by 70monte; 11/11/13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11/12/13, 05:49 PM

Excellent read on this same issue-I replaced mine shortly after I found this thread;

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lay-glass.html
Old 11/12/13, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just an FYI, the cause of the "spot" shown by 70monte is delamination of the hardcoating- and it is definitely a manufacturer defect. If you try to "clean" the spot, you'll just cause more of the hardcoating to flake off- making the problem worse.

If you can't or won't replace the plastic with glass, you might be able to get all the hardcoating off by removing the piece and submersing it in an ultrasonic tank (like the ones used to clean jewelry). Your local optician may have one. Of course then you have an uncoated lens on your radio.

Sadly, the defective hardcoating is probably going to cause more problems than scratching would have.

(I work in the ophthalmic business and deal with thin film coatings- the cause of the delamination is probably the heating and cooling cycles that an automotive interior is subjected to.)
Old 11/12/13, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I ordered a piece of tinted Acrylic from the tapplastics.com website I mentioned above. It has shipped today so I should get it by next Monday according to the tracking #. I will post a picture of it when I get it and give my impression of it.

For anyone who is interested, I ordered a Solar Grey transparent Acrylic sheet that was 1/8" thick, 7 5/16" long and 2" wide. I wanted something a little thinner but 1/8" was the thinnest you could get but talking to the person who gave me the website, he said that it would fit so hopefully he is right.

I used the same measurements that the OP in the thread that arazor above posted used for his glass replacements other than the thickness. It cost me $24.25 shipped which seems kind of high for a piece of plastic but it's cheaper than buying the entire front panel.

Wayne
Old 11/12/13, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Softtop window scratch remover helped mine after my mother wiped dust off. My Jeep addiction helped this time.
Old 11/12/13, 08:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Here is a picture of what mine looks like. Its the best picture I could take. It started with a thin line and has spread to this and seems to get bigger every time I drive the car which is once or twice a week.
How in the world....??
Old 11/13/13, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm wondering if heat has anything to do with this problem spreading. When the car is at home, it is under a carport that doesn't allow sun on the car but when I take it to work, it sits outside all day in the sun and it gets pretty hot inside. That is the only way I can see that this could spread. Deysha the Ford rep on here took my information and someone from Ford called me today while I was at work. I have to call back tomorrow and maybe I will get something done by Ford. We shall see.

Wayne
Old 11/14/13, 11:30 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I'm wondering if heat has anything to do with this problem spreading. When the car is at home, it is under a carport that doesn't allow sun on the car but when I take it to work, it sits outside all day in the sun and it gets pretty hot inside. That is the only way I can see that this could spread. Deysha the Ford rep on here took my information and someone from Ford called me today while I was at work. I have to call back tomorrow and maybe I will get something done by Ford. We shall see.
Be sure to let me know the outcome, 70monte.

Deysha
Old 11/14/13, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Deysha, I will let you know what happens. I posted what my conversation was with the customer service guy from Ford on the post in the Warranty and Service issue section of this forum. He said he will get back with me at some point when he finds out more information from the dealer. Thanks again.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Dash radio display clear plastic replacement?