Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/14, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator upgrade

I have a problem with my lights flickering and no output from my amp and a lot of people are telling me I need an upgraded alternator, problem is I cant find one for the v6...anyone else ran into this problem?
Old 4/23/14, 05:19 AM
Cobra Member

Guys have run 2 amp set ups and not had problems with the output, but that was on a 5.0. Not sure if the V6 alternator is appreciably weaker than the V8 version. Could be a bad ground? Is it a new amp? What's the rated output?

I used an old amp with my 6x8 speakers, and it worked for a while, but eventually crapped out with a channel that was cutting out. If your lights are dimming, it sounds more like a short or bad ground. Double check all your wiring.
Old 4/23/14, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you give us a rundown of what your system entails? Unless you are pulling a lot of current your stock alt should be sufficient. Most of the time using insufficiently sized power wires or poor grounds will be where your issue lies. I'd also check to see if your battery is going bad. Hard to say on what the issue could be.

If you check some of the car audio sites you will find the following names for new alts: Iraggi, Powermaster, Ohio generator. You could also see if there is a local alternator shop who could rewind your stock one for more output.
Old 4/26/14, 08:37 AM

I'm running 4 ga. Power and ground. A 200 amp online fuse and I was running an re audio CTX 3200 that I bought brand new going powering a c2 audio threatcon 2 at 1ohm. No problems for two weeks then while on my way to work one day the sub stopped playing. Pulled over and checked the speaker wires everything was still plugged in. Saw the led lights flickering and noticed my car has a coinciding idle. Turned the radio off and it idled normally
Old 4/28/14, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I have a few thoughts. One is that i would check your fuses and your ground wires to make sure that those are all in still good condition. It could also be a problem with the amp, especially since it was working fine, then stopped working correctly. Looking at the current requirements of that amp it could be that the amp is pulling too much current for the capability of the power wire. That amp looks to be pulling more than 100 amps of current, and with the power wire being between 12-15 feet you are most likely experiencing voltage drops.

I'm really leaning more towards something wrong with the amp though.